Why oh why... (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
do they make six berth motorhomes when only two people can travel in them...AHHHHHH
Really like the rapido 996m and just looked at a autotrail Cheyenne 696g that looks great.....!
But I would not put anyone in a side facing seat.

Early next year I will be looking for something like the 996m but need at least 3 proper seat belts... At up to approx 35k any thoughts peeps...?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Don't mind the diner as long as it has a side lounger and a bit of space, prefer a fixed bed and like the pull down bed as in the Rapido/hymer, like a large garage and above all must be automatic....

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I agree, what is the point..... sleeps six...... but can only take two with seatbelts........... OK kids find your own way, we'll meet you there........... GRRRR :mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
a lot of uk built vans are only suitable for 2 travelers ( not sleepers )

you will probably get best selection of 3 plus belted seats from many main land European manufacturers....

try the Adria coral xl plus 5 / 6 belted seats and 6 berth

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
a lot of uk built vans are only suitable for 2 travelers ( not sleepers )

you will probably get best selection of 3 plus belted seats from many main land European manufacturers....

try the Adria coral xl plus 5 / 6 belted seats and 6 berth

I'll have a look at that, only need 4 berth max/min but do like a bit of space...
Thanks ..

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if only 4 berth try the Adria coral range, we have a coral 670 slt 3 berth by choice but has 5 belted seats!

the coral range has some 4 berth arrangements. in a couple of models.

I have nothing to do with Adria just a very satisfied owner.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
do they make six berth motorhomes when only two people can travel in them...AHHHHHH
Really like the rapido 996m and just looked at a autotrail Cheyenne 696g that looks great.....!
But I would not put anyone in a side facing seat.

Early next year I will be looking for something like the 996m but need at least 3 proper seat belts... At up to approx 35k any thoughts peeps...?
I thought the 996m had 4 travel seats (including driver)?

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I thought the 996m had 4 travel seats (including driver)?

Broken Link Removed

Hmmm this one has not on flee bay 351590181907 ..?
Thanks for that MinxyGirl I'll have to keep looking harder..!
I posted because I knew you lot would prove me wrong and I just might find something suitable by next near...:xThumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
looking at the plan of the 996m layout it would "appear"! to have 3 belted seats at best including the driver. but its not clear.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We had a 2005 Rapido 966M with twin single beds, over cab double and "occasional bed" in dinette

4 forward facing seats as shown below

DM5814-bkgasdao.jpg
DM5814-wwqgpudf.jpg
DM5814-yhlyfjvo.jpg

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Personally I think seat belts in the back of MH are a bit pointless, in an accident the cushion you are sat on that's perched precariously on a bit of wood held on by nothing more than a couple of bits of plastic will slide out from under you as you are hung/garrotted by the seatbelt.

Or are they better in modern MH?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
This was our biggest problem when we were looking, many 4-6 berth vans, but most with only 2 belted seats. The van we eventually found one that can sleep and transport 6. OK the sleeping part may be a push, it involves converting the dinette to a bed, which looks complicated, but we do have 6 belted seats.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Personally I think seat belts in the back of MH are a bit pointless, in an accident the cushion you are sat on that's perched precariously on a bit of wood held on by nothing more than a couple of bits of plastic will slide out from under you as you are hung/garrotted by the seatbelt.

Or are they better in modern MH?
I don't think the cushion would slide out from under you ... not with your weight on it! Remember that seat belts aren't just there for when you have an accident, they are restraints and come into play if someone has to brake sharply too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Am I missing something.?

I see four berth but no mention of four belted seats
If you look at the 3rd photo (the one looking forward) you can see on the left the tall boarding and headrest of one of the twin rear passenger seats. I suspect some earlier models didn't have this as I certainly found older ones with just side sofas, but the one on OAL shows the rear travel seats.

There are other models in the Rapido 9 series that have similar layouts, it may have been an option as to whether you had facing sofas or a half dinette ??

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Drive carefully, and leave a larger gap in front?. That`s what we all did before seat belting was compulsory!.:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:.

Seriously, My Rapido (2007) has 4 belted seats with a VERY substantial Steel frame to which the rear one`s are secured? and make a (Very fiddly) bed.

Pete

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Our hobby .has 2 single plus make bed up bed .when grandson and son stays .son sleeps on floor.(ex army). 4 seat belts. You could say abit of a squeeze. But cosy..and great to have family around .( now and then)

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Son comes in own car . So handy to run us round and spoil. Us . Hobby T65GE HAS 4 SEAT BELTS

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
I suspect that any seats other than the cab seats would be next to useless if crash tested, belts or not.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Haha.......... our's is the other end of the spectrum.

4 seats (inc driver and front pax) with 4 full safety belts ..................... and one double bed (y)

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Yes Chris but it's a motorhome he's looking for not a minibus:LOL:

Yes quite.... Only two of us but occasionally 1-2 more sometimes,
But like a fair sized motorhome as will be doing Europe a fair while and to fit all the stuff in like wheelchair, bike, and fishing gear..! And all the other crap that we all take but never use....lol

It seems there are models out there that fit the bill but just one or two niggles that bug me, like we prefer the lounging type space but need the diner for the seat belts..? And I need the hand brake on the left of the drivers seat and only seen that on the Merc ( as my disabled hand controls are used with right hand)

I can see why people can change their van many times to get the "One"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back