Widows 10? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Hi has anybody downloaded Windows 10? If so what do you think of it? I am on Windows 7 at present.

colyboy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you do a search you'll find several threads with differing opinions. For my part I've put it on 5 machines of different configurations and had only one minor problem with an upgrade from Win 7 32 bit because Asus hadn't updated a driver. All 5 machines work well.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've recently updated from Windows 8.1 & so far all seems to be well. My better half still has Windows 7 on her laptop but complains when she tries using my notebook, the two systems differ so widely. The only issue that I've really had is the lack of drivers for DVDs or movies but I downloaded an app from elsewhere & its all easy now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
My current PC has it. Not an upgrade from any other version as it's a new machine.

Overall it is fine but to me after a few weeks using it I would say it is much more suited to a touch screen PC. I only changed my PC because it was becoming interminably slow and the one I wanted happened to have 10 installed. The screen isn't touch screen (I recycled my old monitor) so I don't see the big advantage over 7 to be honest. If you are going to use touch screen possibly yes but if you are happy with 7 then I'd be inclined to stick with it.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have many machines, with various versions of Windows installed. My work laptop is still on Windows 7 Pro, since this is my absolute favourite. I also carry a netbook, which also Windows 7, but that is just a substitute PC for when I am on Clients Site.
I have a tablet that was on Windows 8.1, and for personal use, I found it brilliant, not sure I could use it professionally without losing my temper!
It came up with the Windows 10 download notice a little while back, and I thought why not? I really wish I hadn't now. Firstly, I had the Microsoft Office suite installed, after the upgrade that stopped working. I tried to reinstate it, but it needs the product code. Unfortunatley that is on the packaging for the Tablet, and I chucked it out a year ago!
Next, I quite liked the left to right scrolling start screen in Windows 8.1, in windows 10 it is up and down, I don't like that. I find the menu structure on the newly reinstated start button confusing, and strikes me that Microsoft rushed this in as a last minute exercise.
Microsoft Edge (Internet explorers replacement) is very annoying, and insists on using Bing, unless you spend about an hour delving into the settings. The mail program is nowhere near as intuitive as the one in 8.1.
And finally, the search charm, which was dead handy in 8.1 has gone, and been replaced by Cortana, which is rubbish!

I realise that this is my personal opinion only, but my advice to anyone would be: If you are on Windows 7 or 8.1, stay as you are, Windows 10 is disappointing to say the least.

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Forgot to add - but 10 has gone with disabling the ability to allow/disable updates. With 7 I used to wait a while until any issues were resolved and then download them manually at a time of my choosing should any post download issues arise.

To do this in 10 you have to fool it by telling it you are on a 'metred' connection and to only download when on w-fi. You still have to update though. And if you forget to do this while on 3G or 4G it will cane your data allowance.

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Ah! Windows 10! Never been discussed here before.... :xlaugh::xlaugh::xlaugh:

But it's an evolving situation with OS's what if somebody discovers something new/beneficial or indeed detrimental?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back