Trailors. French type. (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2009
Prescot merseyside
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance
Exp
:xgrin:seen a few trailors in France with twin hitch points makes reversing seem easy anyone know if legal in uk and were to get them.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It took me a minute or two to find it, it looks brilliant. I wonder if they will be able to make one that can take a Smart car or IQ.
The name "Tracty" can also find the device (in French of course).
Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It took me a minute or two to find it, it looks brilliant. I wonder if they will be able to make one that can take a Smart car or IQ.
The name "Tracty" can also find the device (in French of course).
Alan
It would never work. The pivot point is the rear MH axle. one of those 'trailers' big enough for a smart or Aygo would have a 'sideswipe' effect of some 3.5M ,in addition to the overhang behind the rear wheels on the MH already. You'd never be able to turn a corner.
It would probably also not be classed as a trailer in the Uk & would exceed the '30%' rule for overhang.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
It would never work. The pivot point is the rear MH axle. one of those 'trailers' big enough for a smart or Aygo would have a 'sideswipe' effect of some 3.5M ,in addition to the overhang behind the rear wheels on the MH already. You'd never be able to turn a corner.
It would probably also not be classed as a trailer in the Uk & would exceed the '30%' rule for overhang.

Does the fact that the wheels act like castors not negate any manouvering problems and it must be a trailer if it has to be hitched on surely ? There are other examples of castoring twin hitch trailers which look better balanced on youtube.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
try here

they have been about for years. There were quite a few reported failures. The problem with a car would be the tow hitch weight constraint.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Similar?

IMG_0635.JPG

Pete

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Does the fact that the wheels act like castors not negate any manouvering problems and it must be a trailer if it has to be hitched on surely ? There are other examples of castoring twin hitch trailers which look better balanced on youtube.

On the motorbike ones yes, not really too much of a problem. But Rosalan was asking about the same type but for a car.
It would be just like extending the MH behind the rear axle by an extra couple of metres or more. & the resulting swing across into oncoming vehicles from the pivot point of the back axle.
It is doubtful that you'd be able to turn any corner in most urban settings.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Out of interest with all the new trailer regulations, if you import a trailer from, and lets keep it relevant to this thread, France, what certification do you need with it and do you need to register it in the UK somewhere?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Interesting they show it being towed ok, show it being unloaded ok, but I wanna see it being loaded..
That is a heavy old bike to push up that ramp alone.
I think a winch might be the only sensible way to go !

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Out of interest with all the new trailer regulations, if you import a trailer from, and lets keep it relevant to this thread, France, what certification do you need with it and do you need to register it in the UK somewhere?
Hopefully someone who lives in France & with a french trailer will be along soon.I'd think that it would be similar to here where all trailers , regardless of weight, have a full 'ficha tecnica' , basically a registration document that includes all & every detail re ; trailer. length ,width, height, weight axle number, axle spacing, chassis number ,etc; etc; etc.
This would easily suffice for a iva test.

Broken Link Removed

If it's from a manufacturer that sells throughout Europe then it will have EU homologation & can be easily checked as the chassis number starts with EC* then a sixteen figure number.
" EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA) is based around EC Directives and provides for the approval of whole vehicles, in addition to vehicle systems and separate components. This certification is accepted throughout the EU without the need for further testing until a standard is updated or your design changes."
Broken Link Removed

A lot on the earlier French trailer link , the "ERDE" trailers are sold across the EU so I'd assume the'd have EC* homolgation.

All info from the VOSA site.

Broken Link Removed

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
On the motorbike ones yes, not really too much of a problem. But Rosalan was asking about the same type but for a car.
It would be just like extending the MH behind the rear axle by an extra couple of metres or more. & the resulting swing across into oncoming vehicles from the pivot point of the back axle.
It is doubtful that you'd be able to turn any corner in most urban settings.
On top of which these things use a plastic material for the caster bearings - more than adequate for a motorbike (or two) trailer but they would need to be bronze or ball/roller races to manage the weight of a car. The increase in material and engineering would make such a trailer extremely expensive. And then of course, as you say, driving with that tail swing would be "interesting".

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
A friend of mine uses one for his motor scooter and maintains that it is not a trailer but a Rack which he has successfully challenged the ferries with when they have wanted to charge extra for a trailer. And a police officer who wanted to do him for speeding.
He says that the UK ones ore c**p and told me to buy a French one when I was thinking about it. Some of the French ones have proper suspension and bearings which the UK one he had did not. You only get what you pay for really.
As others have said not practical for anything more than a meter and probably not legal because it would be treated as a projection.
Steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Because it doesnt pivot it effectively becomes part of the vans overhang.
The max overhang cannot protrude more than 60% of the vans wheelbase from the centre of the rear axle.
There are rules regarding swingout and turning radii.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
In France trailers with a max gross weight of 750kgs need nothing but above that they must be registered and have their own reg number. AFAIK they do not require a CT (MoT).

Beyond that I know nothing as I have a small one (pause for comic effect).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back