Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
From 40ft Monsters to 14ft Panel vans and everything in-between. Mostly great value and many of the modern American vans easily compete with Europeans when it comes to running costs. Intersted? Check our our sister site. The RV Owners Club (y)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Really? Great, just point me in the right direction please.
I need one between 6.5 & 7.5 metres, fixed bed & a 1 tonne payload.
Oh & nearly forgot, 30mpg too please.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
so the RV owners club we have to signe up and pay the subs
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Watched many videos of American panel vans, it seems they are about 10 yrs ahead of Europe, they really do utilize every little bit of space and are kitted out to the hilt - fantastic stuff !

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Yea we had 4 in the years that we were RVing from 20ft to 38ft and enjoyed every minute of them.we just fancied a change and going back to European Motorhome.but who knows one day we may go back.you never know:xsurprised::xThumb:
Brian & Jo

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I must confess that I have avoided even looking at the gas guzzling american vans but looking at the Leisure Vans range using the Mercedes Sprinter engine and including some innovative layouts, there seem to be some serious contenders for the European market. However, import duties and dealer support may limit their popularity and their initial price still places them in the upper end of the market.
Alan

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Really? Great, just point me in the right direction please.
I need one between 6.5 & 7.5 metres, fixed bed & a 1 tonne payload.
Oh & nearly forgot, 30mpg too please.

Maybe not quite 30mpg BUT:- Broken Link Removed

Saw them on the production line Sept 2014 in Forest City. They seem to be well made and on the Mercedes 3litre base.

We stayed 4 nights on their Campground for Free!! too.

Pete

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Always remember our first visit to Parc Verger.
We were the only Euro van all the rest were RV's.
When the temp dropped to -20 we were the only van that did not freeze!
It was quite amusing watching the others first thing carrying the lemonade bottles of wee to empty in the sanitaire! He he

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Now now Mr Larry stop dwelling in the past and look forward,onward and upward.im sure you and Winn will have some great times in whatever you are in.Hope you are both well.happy Christmas to you both.hope to meet up in 2016.thanks for the card.
Best wishes Brian & Jo

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Now now Mr Larry stop dwelling in the past and look forward,onward and upward.im sure you and Winn will have some great times in whatever you are in.Hope you are both well.happy Christmas to you both.hope to meet up in 2016.thanks for the card.
Best wishes Brian & Jo

Thanks Brian, hope you are both ok and looking forward to the festive season, have a good one :xThumb:
We are fine and looking forward to 2016 and getting on the road again. If headed west will get in touch
Take care both
Larry and Win .

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
2016.thanks for the card.
Best wishes Brian & Jo

"CARD" what Card.... ?????????????????

You mean to tell me he sent you a CARD.... :xangry:

I bet it was an old Birthday Card I sent him with Happy Birthday scribbled out and Happy Xmas inserted.. :RollEyes::wink::rofl:

I didn`t get a CARD from me Bruvver..... tight Mean *astard... :swear2:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I like mine it`s old an got issues but it suits me for now 50 p a mile

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
"CARD" what Card.... ?????????????????

You mean to tell me he sent you a CARD.... :xangry:

I bet it was an old Birthday Card I sent him with Happy Birthday scribbled out and Happy Xmas inserted.. :RollEyes::wink::rofl:

I didn`t get a CARD from me Bruvver..... tight Mean *astard... :swear2:

Dont know your new address, you're avoiding me :xsurprised::xwink:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The Unity range are very good and the trouble is they weigh so much, they are not bothered about the rules and regulations about driving licences and classifications over there, you drive 'wot you got' Not HGV this, car that, etc. that we have put up with.. They would revolt if they had to be limited to 3500kgs. 12 ton+ seem normal for the bigger ones.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Can you gassed in them and are the generators noisy, ......well someone had to ask. (y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Spent many happy Christmas's away in sub zero conditions in our RV's we always make sure that we buy models that are glass, double glazed, and have heated inboard tanks and lockers. That way you can survive what ever is thrown at you.

Like Marmite, RV's can polarise people, and some think it totally acceptable to say, "Yanks are shit" to your face, based on their mate" had on years ago and it was rubbish.

My first van was bought Brand new in 1988 I was 27. An Autohomes Highwayman. That one lasted six months. We immediately realised that we loved the concept, but not the van.

Chopped that in for a hardly used 88 plate Kon Tiki 600/6. Used that for a year and bought a new Gulf Stream Conquest on a 1990 plate

Just assuming that all three vans still existed and had been own by "normal" people if I had a choice of going on holiday today, now, this minute, if I had a choice between a 1988 Highwayman or a 1990 Gulf Stream Conquest I know which one I go for!

Not all Yanks are the same. It you owned a Romahome and then said all German vans are crap, it's an opinion, but not necessarily a valid one

Me? I'm biased as I love all Motorhomes, and any of the, are preferable tham a hotel in my opinion

Give la difference!

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You made me go and check out smaller RV's Winnebago VIA, no garage:rolleyes: not a lot of payload as far as I can tell but they do seem a bit reluctant to display the UVW, I think double glazing is an option, think I would tick that one.

First look not convinced me.

Martin

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've had 3 RVs and loved them at the time. Unfortunately a RV doesn't suit our style of travelling nowadays.
My only issues with mine were fuel consumption payload and winterisation which was very bad on all 3.
Better than my Hymer?
For space and comfort yes.
For fuel economy payload winter use and accessibility no.
Would we have another?
Yes in a flash but it would have to have decent mpg payload and be properly winterised. Unfortunately that vehicle isn't made yet so we'll stick with the old Hymer.
Does it really matter what you have? If it brings you pleasure it's the right one.
Enjoy:xThumb::xThumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Oh wow, Jim are you trying to start mines better than yours :xrofl: I have run American Vehicles since the late 60's I have owned campers from split screen 1200 VW's to 40' RV + caravans and guess what they all did the same thing allowed me to go away sleep and cook, I have never had a problem getting any spares needed for any American vehicle I have owned in fact the bigger ones have more parts used also in the UK on busses and trucks than you may think, with the exception of an old 2 1/4 series2a derv towing a Lynton cutlass Caravan the longest drive of my life to Devon, I have enjoyed all of them, as for fuel costs I have always been honest and hear some wild claims from others anything weighing in at 3.5 ton will be around 25 mpg start towing with it and can be as low as 17 at around 6,000 miles a year I am not going to give fuel a second thought, mine weighs in at around 15ton with the trailer on and returns 10 mpg at around 55mph but for that I have an apartment on wheels including the dishwasher (and no that's not the wife) as for using in cold weather never had a problem never had anything freeze up maybe I have been lucky, would I go back to a Euro motorhome, well yes if I had to but I would look at an American alternative just on build quality in lower price range, if I was spending Concorde money then it may be different.

Just my twopenneth of course :xThumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Does it really matter what you have? If it brings you pleasure it's the right one.
Enjoy:xThumb::xThumb:

I second that, many of my fondest memories were in our Bedford based Holdsworth Elevating Roof Camper........

2007_1027Nostalgia0285.JPG
2007_1027Nostalgia0276.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back