Fiat offers dashboard lighting solution (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We also have a modern Ducat. You can't easily read it in any light. It needs lighting at all time. Was wondering if the dash illumination could be on all the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Fiat is offering to modify the dashboard lighting free of charge. My question is has anyone had this FOC fix applied and if so how effective was it?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have been selling stick on mirror vinyl to a number of people who tell me it reflects enough natural light back at the dash cluster to make it easier to read. They tell me that they stuck it to the plastic flat area below the cluster.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
In this case Fiat has accepted that there is a problem and are said to be offering a fix. I would like to know what this fix entails and if it works.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It's strange MMM know about it and want a subscription to find the details we have a new type dash and agree it is dark surely Fiat should be contacting buyers?
I have emailed Fiat Professional for an answer I will post any reply.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our Peugeot dash is the same, unless the lights are on, the dash lights are off and you can't see the KM scale at all.
We had a new instrument cluster fitted a few weeks ago which is just as dark.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our Peugeot dash is the same, unless the lights are on, the dash lights are off and you can't see the KM scale at all.
We had a new cluster fitted to our Exsis two weeks ago and still as dark.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We had a new cluster fitted to our Exsis two weeks ago and still as dark.
Did you both have it done to cure this problem or for other reasons?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Did you both have it done to cure this problem or for other reasons?
@peterc10 Mine was because I had warning lights coming on when cruise control engaged which were totally irrelevant it was found the instrument cluster was faulty apparently common problem in later Ducato,s.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I believe this is Fiats fix to the problem............
image.jpg
Sorry, couldn't resist.:xblush:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm signed up for some free copies of MMM so when the February ones arrives I'll try and remember to let you lot know what it says!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm signed up for some free copies of MMM so when the February ones arrives I'll try and remember to let you lot know what it says!
:xThumb:Thanks @MinxyGirl that's great I'll watch with interest,as soon as I hear back from Fiat I will post details.:xThumb:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
As this is clearly a safety issue I would have thought rather than try and drum up sales from it MMM would release the information FOC. I must say when we took a M/H out for a test drive both me and Mrs T thought the dials were hard to read but thought it was just us, cant see why it affects only some dashboards, I thought they were all the same?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:xThumb:Thanks @MinxyGirl that's great I'll watch with interest,as soon as I hear back from Fiat I will post details.:xThumb:
I finally got a reply from Fiat Proffesional today they have told me that there is a problem with the illumination and they are working on a fix and will inform me when they are in a position to provide a remedy .

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Now I'm confused even more than usual. I had a long conversation with Carole from Fiat HQ (Italy) customer service today. She was adamant that only a few English had complained about their ability to see the instruments, she said it was an English problem as there had been no complaints from other countries and in essence whilst Fiat liked feedback and would look into the problem at present they have no plans for a fix.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Now I'm confused even more than usual. I had a long conversation with Carole from Fiat HQ (Italy) customer service today. She was adamant that only a few English had complained about their ability to see the instruments, she said it was an English problem as there had been no complaints from other countries and in essence whilst Fiat liked feedback and would look into the problem at present they have no plans for a fix.
Perhaps she is right ... to an extent - the MPH and KPH 'dials' are different - the first one below is the KPH one which is much more 'visible' due to the numbers being much bolder than the MPH one underneath it, also the KPH one doesn't appear to have MPH on either.

fiat speedo lhd.JPG
fiat speedo rhd.JPG

Due to the difference in the size of the numbers only affecting the 'dial' in MPH I wouldn't expect them to get any negative feedback from anywhere else BUT the UK really! Perhaps if you get the opportunity you could let the lady know this as unless she looks at the KPH and MPH dials side by side she probably won't be aware of the size difference and therefore the difficulty in reading them on MPH versions.

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
Picked up new Motorhome 2 weeks ago today, emailed supplier a couple of days later asking if there was something wrong with my dashboard as I had difficulty reading the speed in lower light levels. I was told that there is no dial illumination unless on headlights.

OK, you can argue that if you can't read the dial, you need headlights, BUT at the end of the day the dial shows you the speed and if you can only make out the speed by placing the needle over the figure, you could be exceeding the speed limit and not actually know it!

On ALL of the modern cars I have owned and hired, the instrument dials have all been illuminated during the day. I think the this is essential for both driver and other road users safety. You need to be able to glance at the speedo, not actually have to read the speedo to see what speed you are doing. If you have to concentrate to read the speedo, you are not concentrating on the far more important task of driving.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
On ALL of the modern cars I have owned and hired, the instrument dials have all been illuminated during the day. I think the this is essential for both driver and other road users safety.

I agree, Colin, and surely this should be a simple fix. If it's only a 12v supply to the cluster lights, swapping the feed from lighting circuit to ignition +ve circuit would do it. If it's to do with the Canbus commands, reprogramming should fix it.

My van is older but the instrument lighting is still not great I have been contemplating having a look at feed solution myself.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On ALL of the modern cars I have owned and hired, the instrument dials have all been illuminated during the day. I think the this is essential for both driver and other road users safety. You need to be able to glance at the speedo, not actually have to read the speedo to see what speed you are doing. If you have to concentrate to read the speedo, you are not concentrating on the far more important task of driving.

& that then brings up the problem of all the people stopped/fined for driving with no lights as they thought they were on because the dash was lit ?
No ,the dash should be perfectly viewable during normal day light conditions & with no back lighting. & only lit when the side lights come on.

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I don' know if the Canbus is the blocker, but easy enough to reprogram. Trying to find a manual so that I can trace the wiring. In the meantime ordered a USB light.

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
& that then brings up the problem of all the people stopped/fined for driving with no lights as they thought they were on because the dash was lit ?
On my version I get a green lit indicator to show lights are on.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Fiat did mention that, as by law all new vehicles have to have daylight running lights, one quick fix would be to connect the dash to that circuit. If any one wants to have a go at FIAT contact Carole at: customercare.uk@fiat.com.

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
But the DRLs go off when headlights come on. There is a possibility that you could get a 'back feed' to the DRLs and without a wiring diagram to check, there could be other consequences.

Would prefer an Official fix.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The lady at Fiat Professional told me that it would be quite a simple fix but as of the time of the call they had not found the solution, as soon as I here from them I will post info on here for all to see.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back