Mercedes code resetter needed, must be really easy to use (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all

Following from my not going to mend it tread, it has been suggested from various quarters that carrying a resetting thingie could be useful and sensible, however, we are talking about me having to use this thing, I have broken more things than I can remember trying to mend them, in quite a few cases things that weren't even broken till I tried to mend it :)

So it needs to be dead easy to fit and even easier to use

I have been told that some have wireless interface to readers / resetting bit, that sounds good rather than ferretting under the carpets all the time for the can bus connection

In the whole scheme of where I am it doesn't need to be the cheapest, a few £'s more for the easiest would be OK

Ideally comments from someone who has already bought and used one, always out trumps hearsay for me, particularly if used on a Mercedes Sprinter (y)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
What year is the sprinter?
Does it have the 16 pin DLC?
Older ones have round DLC plug.
An EOBD reader will read generic codes but not usually manufacturer dedicated codes.
This will work, have one in recovery vehicle.
Broken Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David Paul bought a bluetooth interface (aprox £5 ) off ebay and software for his phone for £3.50 -Leaves interface connected to van and simply uses phone -took him about two mins to fit and played with software for another couple of mins :xThumb:so that means a couple of hour for me :xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Oh BTW David been thinking about your problem -would it be a case of removing top of dash to get to turbo ????sounds like it may be a easier answer to gain easy access -no idea if it would work but may be worth looking at---EDIT bet Bev COULD PLAY WITH THE SOFTWARE :xgrin:
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
An EOBD reader will read generic codes but not usually manufacturer dedicated codes.
Broken Link Removed

I thank you for the link but can't answer the other techie questions, (sorry), age of Merc is also unclear, we think Hymer turned it into a MH in 07, the tyres were dated 06 when we got it second hand registered 59, so best guess is 06/ early 07

3.0 litre with auto box, twin axle if any of that matters / helps

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hi David Paul bought a bluetooth interface (aprox £5 ) off ebay and software for his phone for £3.50 -Leaves interface connected to van and simply uses phone -took him about two mins to fit and played with software for another couple of mins :xThumb:so that means a couple of hour for me :xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:
terry
Think those type use a small amount of current if left connected onto the plug ?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
terry

Oh BTW David been thinking about your problem -would it be a case of removing top of dash to get to turbo ????sounds like it may be a easier answer to gain easy access -no idea if it would work but may be worth looking at---EDIT bet Bev COULD PLAY WITH THE SOFTWARE :xgrin:
terry

I did query on here about dash off, my workshop thought it but are not at all keen on doing it!!

No definitive answer here, but concerns that it may all be bonded

As for playing with software, you re right Bev would be better than me but we are not good at that sort of thing

Needs to be really, really easy :):)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just have a good snout around to see if you can find something like this hidden away

Renault_Clio_05_Diagnostic_Socket_Location.JPG

It could be anywhere on or under the dash..
If you can find that then it is a standard EOBD socket and one of the cheapo readers will be just fine

I used mine on an 11 plate Merc a couple of weeks ago to reset the air bag light and the O2 sensor fault

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hi David
with regards to your problem M/H may i suggest you try ADS (automotive diagnostic solutions) it is run by Frank Massey and his son, google it.
They are well know in the trade and write for several mags as well as running there own training courses.
HTH
Tony

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Think those type use a small amount of current if left connected onto the plug ?

Worry not, if yours, like mine, came with a little push on, push off switch. Or, do as I do, switch it off, then unplug it. :xrofl:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Broken Link Removed
From the seller's description:

3).VEHICLE COVERAGE:

• GM '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
  • Ford '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
  • Chrysler '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
  • Toyota '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
  • Honda '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
  • NISSAN '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
  • All other Asian and European '96 - Current Year (OBD-II)
  • All new CAN protocol cars.
Note: not fit for diesel cars

So if that's correct, no good for a diesel Merc Sprinter. Seems odd though - I thought the diagnostic system was standard across both petrol & diesel, but maybe not.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Worry not, if yours, like mine, came with a little push on, push off switch. Or, do as I do, switch it off, then unplug it. :xrofl:
On/off switch......what a show off :xgrin:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our diagnostic socket thingy (see how technical I am!) is in the glove box in the car :)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
This one is suitable for petrol AND diesel vehicles Broken Link Removed

not tried it though!

Dave

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi David
with regards to your problem M/H may i suggest you try ADS (automotive diagnostic solutions) it is run by Frank Massey and his son, google it.
They are well know in the trade and write for several mags as well as running there own training courses.
HTH
Tony
I'm sure you are sick of all the various advice...but when I read @jaygee post it reminded me of the post I made about getting a good scope operator to have a look...
Frank masses was highly regarded by pico scope lads who I did a course with a few years back..
I agree it really would be worth at least getting in touch..
Ta Andy. .

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I thank you for the link but can't answer the other techie questions, (sorry), age of Merc is also unclear, we think Hymer turned it into a MH in 07, the tyres were dated 06 when we got it second hand registered 59, so best guess is 06/ early 07

3.0 litre with auto box, twin axle if any of that matters / helps
Dont know if this will help to find socket

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
plumber has just sprayed our router with water (don't ask) having to use phone as dongle, virtually no connection, will hopefully be back tomorrow :(

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
seems wrong liking this but it made me smile:xgrin:
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Shame you are so far away.. You could have just borrowed the unit I have to try it

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Broken Link Removed

Reply from seller ' not suitable for Mercedes'

Probably would work based on your comment, but not worth chancing it for me with such low technical skill level :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
so I have just bought this one, made an offer of £25 which was accepted, free delivery but not till mid January! Didn't notice that bit, will have gone long before it arrives

Broken Link Removed

But, this bit I feel is like sticking something into a hornets nest and giving it a good wiggle, but here goes anyway

My independent workshop has said it will not work, I will be able to see any fault codes come up, but if the Mercedes system turns on the EML or MIL or whatever it called today, I will not be able to reset it with one of these, I am sure I am going to be told that it will. He has said it would clear the fault codes but that won't make any difference

Mercedes apparently have an auto reset of limp as we do by stopping turning off remove key etc whereas some Peugeot and Volvo once in limp need a manufacturer reset.

So he says, I have confidence in him, but have now pushed him into a corner over the software he uses based on comments on my other thread, he had said it was Star Software, he now admits that is Mercedes workshops only, but his is as close as you can get without being the same!!!

He does an awful lot of work on Mercedes lorries, so it must be more or less good enough, but I do feel a trip into a Mercedes workshop maybe the only cure, presuming I can get it to them faulty, that is hard to create.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
David ..I'm feeling your fustration...
But ill keep saying it... you do need dealer level diagnostics but I've found some dealers are still not good... ie they get a code replace a part/sensor even though there is nothing wrong with it ...its only a guide and the fault may lie elsewhere but a good diagnostics shop will stand a better chance..
Don't know the bloke and I'm sure there are others but the post referring to Frank massey should be at least worth a call..
Sorry for banging on but would really like to hear some posotive news, developments about your van..
Ta Andy.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
David ..I'm feeling your fustration...
But ill keep saying it... you do need dealer level diagnostics but I've found some dealers are still not good... ie they get a code replace a part/sensor even though there is nothing wrong with it ...its only a guide and the fault may lie elsewhere but a good diagnostics shop will stand a better chance..
Don't know the bloke and I'm sure there are others but the post referring to Frank massey should be at least worth a call..
Sorry for banging on but would really like to hear some posotive news, developments about your van..
Ta Andy.
Andy you are banging again a brick wall :xgrin:I told David in my first post on the other thread that there is a place near to me that even the dealers send vehicles to when they get stuck :xwink:Also this Frank Massey sounds like he knows HIS STUFF

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Andy you are banging again a brick wall :xgrin:I told David in my first post on the other thread that there is a place near to me that even the dealers send vehicles to when they get stuck :xwink:Also this Frank Massey sounds like he knows HIS STUFF
LOL Terry... well all I know is he is spoken off very highly.. but as you say there will be others...
Two essentials.. getting the codes and a good scope operator..certainly for faults that are not straight forward... Most places haven't got the know how to interpret what a scope can tell you...and it's time consuming work...and therefore expensive (but David is minted as they say :xrofl: ) all I'm saying ,it's worth a phone call... All they can say is they are prepared to look or sorry.. access to David's engine sounds like a nightmare and that may be a problem accessing parts..

Anyway no such problems with your new van I hope... can't wait to see it.. pictures look great..
Ta andy

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

LOL Terry... well all I know is he is spoken off very highly.. but as you say there will be others...
Two essentials.. getting the codes and a good scope operator..certainly for faults that are not straight forward... Most places haven't got the know how to interpret what a scope can tell you...and it's time consuming work...and therefore expensive (but David is minted as they say :xrofl: ) all I'm saying ,it's worth a phone call... All they can say is they are prepared to look or sorry.. access to David's engine sounds like a nightmare and that may be a problem accessing parts..

Anyway no such problems with your new van I hope... can't wait to see it.. pictures look great..
Ta andy

Oi you two, I am here as well you know,

Terry you said your man needed about 2 months notice to get in, I need far more spontaneous reaction than that :D

Andy, problem we really have is getting it to the workshop in a failed state, if not failed not sure what they will be looking at / for :)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back