Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have our motorhome on Gumtree and just had this email:

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and I'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being on a wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since I'm unable to see it in person. i have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and I'll pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

Do they think I was born yesterday?????? But how do I respond? Lead them along a bit or just ignore it?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I can't remember this PayPal scam, is it that PayPal will reverse the transaction for some reason instigated by the purchaser, or do they just turn up and nick it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I never ever put an email contact when advertising on Gumtree ,tick the box phone contact only .
I have s spare phone with s number used only for this purpose ,genuine buyers will ring ,others will send you s text ..with their email address which never gets a reply. Like you say they think you were born on the last shower of rain :xangry:
But thanks for the heads up :xThumb:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If they really want the van, then cash should be no problem. The delivery and cash are the best option, for you can then explain the system to the new buyer. The sort of money involved would lead me to never do a deal as described, even if I knew the people.
Alan

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If they really want the van, then cash should be no problem. The delivery and cash are the best option, for you can then explain the system to the new buyer. The sort of money involved would lead me to never do a deal as described, even if I knew the people.
Alan
You appear to think that the reply is genuine ? It isn't it's a scam.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
It is a great pity that we now live in such a world that we have to always question the actions of others. There are genuine buyers out there but it's difficult to tell them apart from the scammers. The scammers are so good at what they do that they are almost as believable as honest buyers. Fortunately, the scammers seem to follow a similar pattern and, with experience, you can spot the dud ones. It's the same with sellers and so you have to do your 'due diligence' before parting with your hard-earned cash when buying. Hope you soon find a genuine buyer, Puddleduck.

Deleted User
I'd have loads of fun with them.

I'd ask them to confirm everything from their mothers name to the current weather in the African nation they're messaging from. I'd enter their email address into as many online forms as possible (you can't have too much junk email!!)

Or if I couldn't be bothered to play around with them I'd just tell em to p*&^ Off :xgrin:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Can't be bothered with it so will just ignore it :)

If anyone else wants to have some fun the email address given was

marycampbell241991@gmail.com

Sounds like the Mary Campbell that wants to be my friend on facebook had three requests from "her" haha. Never heard of her before. Might just give that address a touch. Roy

Deleted User
I've just offered to meet the buyer at Gordano services on Monday 1200hrs :xgrin:

I'll be emailing Monday, to ask why they didn't turn up and accuse them of wasting my time. If they're still interested in buying my van, I'm going to ask them to compensate me for travel expenses by depositing £20 in Cancer research (and send me a copy of receipt)

:xgrin:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can't be bothered with it so will just ignore it :)

If anyone else wants to have some fun the email address given was

marycampbell241991@gmail.com

Oh her, she's great. Just sent her £10K to get my great great uncle Omolulu's £10,000,000 estate transferred to me. I'll stump up for The Meet of Meets as soon as I get it. Do you know that there are only 14 vintage 38 Bollingers available now but I've got them all for the meet, only another £12K but who cares, I'm rich.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This happens to nearly every single car advert put up on Gumtree and the others, if 1% fall for it they have won. unfortunately they do always get somebody that does fall for it. DO NOT GIVE EMAIL ADDRESS OR PHONE NUMBERS on answer or it will be added to the mugs list.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
they do always get somebody that does fall for it.

On TV news the other night a stupid woman handed "the police" on the phone enough information to extract £130,000 from her account. The main crook escaped to Syria, his accomplices got prison, no money recovered.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A sad case but I wouldn't call the lady stupid. She was simply a victim of a callous crooks no doubt exploiting her age.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Along with being a Salesman's dream, I must be a scammer's dream. When this was first posted I couldn't see anything wrong. Will certainly see things differently now. Sheltered life I've lead.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just as well you have your wits about you Helen. Wasn't there someone a wee while back that came on and said they were duped by a similar scam?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
PayPal is NOT A SAFE WAY TO ACCEPT MONEY FOR ANY MOTORS - be it a boat, car, motorhome, motorcycle ... NONE. These sorts of items are NOT covered by the safety centre guarantee.

If you think of a payment via Paypal for motors as a 'cheque' you can see that it is no different to you being actually given a cheque in person and then finding it doesn't clear at the bank.

This is how the scam works:
  • The 'buyer' pays through Paypal and the funds are shown in your Paypal account so appears that the transaction has been completed BUT it is not a 'live' transaction - it is simply a 'promise' to pay.

• Paypal then request the buyer's funds for the transaction from their linked bank/credit card account, but this can be some days later, and it is only then that it is discovered that the funds are not there.

• Paypal then reverse the transaction and removes the funds from your account as the 'promised' funds were not forthcoming ... by which time the buyer has made off with your goods.
We had one scammer who wanted to buy our Ypsilon and had some fun going back and forth telling them that we'd only accept a direct bank transfer as we pretended we didn't have a Paypal account ... the 'buyer' went to the trouble of telling us how to open a Paypal account!

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Along with being a Salesman's dream, I must be a scammer's dream. When this was first posted I couldn't see anything wrong. Will certainly see things differently now. Sheltered life I've lead.

The text message from the scammer looked fine. We gave a "disposable" phone number in the ad and have used an email address set up for the sale :) It was when the email came in that the alarm bells started to ring very loudly!

I would never accept paypal for anything not covered by paypal - nor for an expensive item due to the charges. A secure bank transfer done at their bank and then checked at my bank branch - or cash checked at my bank - are the only ways and I am sure a genuine buyer would understand that ...... as a buyer I would want to do the bank transfer method.

Not as green as I am cabbage looking :)

lucy.fg

Free Member
Mar 1, 2016
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Previous camper now motorhoming :)
Broken Link Removed Beware this is the picture that accompanies 'Mary Campbell' gmail account!!
We are currently in the process of selling our campervan and without your forum we may have been scammed!! So thank you so much
The email we received read
'Great! please consider it sold and i want you to remove the advert as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it. Unfortunately i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound,I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since I'm unable to see it in person.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal once you are ready.

Kindly get back to me with your location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?'

SO EVERYONE PLEASE BE AWARE!! I have followed your advice and requested we drop the vehicle off and take the cash but they just want me to set up a Paypal account ?? I think enough time has been wasted but just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for saving us :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back