Yeovilton Airshow 2016 (1 Viewer)

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I went to Yeovilton this year and it was one of the best airshows I've been to. The campsite couldn't have been much closer either which was great for avoiding the congestion. I can't make next year unfortunately :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I went to Yeovilton this year and it was one of the best airshows I've been to. The campsite couldn't have been much closer either which was great for avoiding the congestion. I can't make next year unfortunately :(
Having served at Yeovilton Naval Air Station for 6 years, where was this very close camp site??
We have often thought about returning and visiting friends again, but most of our friends actually live on board so we cannot stay, but if there is a campsite close, we could use that one.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Having served at Yeovilton Naval Air Station for 6 years, where was this very close camp site??
We have often thought about returning and visiting friends again, but most of our friends actually live on board so we cannot stay, but if there is a campsite close, we could use that one.
There was camping organised via Jemhorn just opposite by the social club so just a walk across the road (y). This is the thread for the 2015 show http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/yeovilton-airshow-2015.103315/
Understand that there was a Caravan Club rally at the nearby Haynes Motor Museum too for that time. @Zigisla might be worth contacting Haynes as understand that they have allowed motorhome to park overnight there at other times too especially if you are visiting the museum or eating there - they have a large parking area & a rally field.

Last edited:

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Yes sorry it was the temporary campsite for the airshow located on the playing fields opposite the museum.

IMG_2383_zpstzil164r.jpg

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
No worries. It certainly looked and sounded like you had a great time and I hope 2016 is the same. It was always a ball ache to work on these days and the build up was horrendous, but seeing how everyone enjoyed the day and how happy everyone was all through the day made it seem worth it. @jemhorn I have worked with Ralph a few time whilst I was the Buffer there - used to drive him around to collect the ticket money, really nice guy - Audrey on the other hand really eccentric lady!!!

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We stayed on the CC rally field at Haynes motor museum, it was our first ever rally and we were made very welcome. Alan wanted to see the Vulcan as often as possible in its last flying year, we planned to cycle to a vantage point to see the display. Unfortunately he started feeling unwell on Friday, mainly fatigued, I suggested staying at home, but he wanted to go, so off we went. At least it meant that I got to drive for a change and got complimented on my driving and parking skills by the rally officer! Alan then spent the rest of the weekend in the van, alternately shivering uncontrollably and sweating profusely and missed the Vulcan completely. We left early on Sunday to go to the doctor. Cutting a long story short, after various tests and a course of antibiotics, and completely by chance from looking at the internet we realised that he had contracted legionnaires disease while we were at a campsite in France the previous week. We are in France in June 2016, but would be up for visiting Yeovilton even though Vulcan will be missing, hopefully minus legionnaires as well. I'll have to make sure Alan does't inhale while in the shower.

OP
OP
jemhorn
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
I'll post info on Campsite as soon as I have some info. I'm going to miss next year as my niece is getting married on the same day. They should have asked!!

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
It'll be a very different place without the Vulcan and its associated hordes, hopefully the sea vixen will be allowed to shine now.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I'll post info on Campsite as soon as I have some info. I'm going to miss next year as my niece is getting married on the same day. They should have asked!!
That would be great, being there a day (or was it two days) before also meant that we got to see the practise displays.

It was a bit of a shame that the gates didn't open much before flying started so it felt like there wasn't time to look at the static displays. Also it would've been nice if the ticket included entry to the museum while the show was on or the day before - not the day after, so we ended up paying to go in.

Sorry not meaning to be negative as it was a really good show and the campsite felt well spaced out.(y)

OP
OP
jemhorn
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
IMG_3902.JPG Took the grandchildren last year. Don't forget the ear defenders!!

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Hi @Zigisla - I was at Yeovilton from 66 to 67 then my family stayed on in MQs in Ilchester whilst I was on 899 sqdn on the Eagle 68 to 70 - I also hated the run up to Air Day but the day itself was OK x:-)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Hi @Zigisla - I was at Yeovilton from 66 to 67 then my family stayed on in MQs in Ilchester whilst I was on 899 sqdn on the Eagle 68 to 70 - I also hated the run up to Air Day but the day itself was OK x:-)
Great to hear @Teuchter ,
I lived in Yeovil its self but have now moved back to the Pompey area. Always enjoyed Air Day – on the day never the build up. I love the excitement on peoples’ faces when they see or hear a jet - Never been a fan of Zoomies though - Dirty filthy smelly horrible noisy things full of posing pilots and minging maintainers. :xrofl:

One day I may go back, to visit, but never the week before Air Day:xgrin:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
We Lived off Lyde Road Yeovil for 10 years. Used to rally with the West Dorset CC centre back then, If I remember right They (we) used to have an Air Show weekend rally Nr Limington. I did assistant Marshall couple of times. At one time Westlands used to have the occasional Open Day / Air display too. That was free to us as SWMBO worked there in the Stress dept!, 40`s Night in the Hanger with the Miller band one year!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back