Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We are over wintering the van at home, with EHU and an occasional ride out. I wanted to put a tubular electric (greenhouse type) heater in, to use when needed, on cold days/nights to keep the temperature from dropping too low

The van is a modern 2 berth of 6.25 metres. From your experience which heater would be best to use - 45W, 80W, 135W or 180W

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
in my experience, not required.. so don't use one.. but I drain down between trips ..

I'm guessing you don't and want to protect from freezing ?

if so a lot will depend on the ambient, 180 watt will barely keep the chill off..
safer to drain down..

also be aware.. as low as the fire risk is, portable heaters are not generally covered by your insurer

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use ours throughout the year. It's never drained and when it's parked on the drive we leave a oil radiator on inside. It's always nice and warm and ready to go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I may be being a bit thick but, if you're on EHU why not use the moho's heating system?

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I used to over-winter mine with just a de-humidifier running, it creates about 200w of heat when running, probably only about 80/20 duty cycle. HTH

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I may be being a bit thick but, if you're on EHU why not use the moho's heating system?

In my mind, the difference is, that if I use a small greenhouse type heater I know what Wattage I am using, ie 45W, 80W, 135W or 180W

If we leave the van heater on a low setting the amount of Wattage used will depend on the temperature and I would need to experiment to get the correct level

Perhaps only a Yorkshireman can understand the logic of this!

The van is drained down I was thinking more about damp in furnishings

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Again, I may be mistaken, I know nuffin' about electrickery, but:
In my mind, the difference is, that if I use a small greenhouse type heater I know what Wattage I am using, ie 45W, 80W, 135W or 180W
But how much does that matter if its on EHU at home?
Perhaps only a Yorkshireman can understand the logic of this!
I'm a Yorkshire Tyke as well so I understand the pennies-&-pounds bit, but surely it wouldn't cost any more than buying the extra heater in the first place?

Fitzwell

Free Member
Oct 12, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Karmann coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie ish
We keep ours with all bedding in and ready to go,keeping background heat ensures nice smelling linen , I understand it's probably not totally neccasery but costs a miniature amount against the cost of mo Ho , also very handy when I get kicked out on a Saturday night, with TV and fridge of beer ime not complaining .I would suggest go max but def with thermostat ,I use a garden greenhouse heater 200w (element type ) £19.99 on eBay mounted on a piece of flat alluminium as the tubes are quite long at this wattage , I have a tube heater (small 60w) fitted in the garage just for peace of mind. Sorry I don't know how to do a link it's the only one I could see that comes up when you google 200 w greenhouse heater

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I use a greenhouse heater (500W) with a 'frost' setting. It switches at around 5 degreesC. I also leave a dehumidifier running on its medium setting. I drain down anyway.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We used a tubular heater when we had a caravan, didn't really do the job. Since getting a motorhome we now use a thermostatic convector heater set on the 800w element. It's set to kick in at 8C. I have an electronic max/min thermometer in the van and last winter it only got down to 4C on a really cold night. I have no idea of how much it costs to run but as the van cost 3 times what my house cost I don't worry about the amount of electricity it uses. Can't be much as my bills are not excessive.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Got ours on low setting using the Truma heater. Just plug it into the lamppost so it's always warm. Blinds are always shut so I can hide from SWMBO when F1 or Moto gp is on....;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back