Keeping your MH / Vehicle legit with no postcode / address (1 Viewer)

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
How do people keep their motorhomes taxed if you've sold up / have no postcode.
This always intrigues me. I know the gypsies must have some way round this, a friendly homeowner who is a registered keeper of dozens of vehicles, an old address/flat that can be 're-used' having once lived there?

Thoughts and deeds appreciated.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i dont think the gypsies care too much about legal things,

seems the easiest wa to do it is to use a family's addy... parents or kids, but not everyone can do that,

unfortunately they dont want you to live in a non fixed abode in this country, so make it hard to do,
a po box / mail forwarding company can work for most things, but bank and insurance can be hard as they dont like po boxes, i know people have the same problem that live on canal boats and dont moor them in a marina/residential mooring.

america has it sorted, you join the escapees club (or one of the other full timing clubs) and that gives you an address to use, they keep all your mail, any that's importiant then can phone you about, otherwise you phone em up every so often and tell them to forward your mail to your nearest post office.

makes me wonder why no ones done similar over here, but living in a motorhome is part of the freedom thing in america, over here your supposed to live in a house 'like everybody else' so i can imagine there are things in place to stop someone operating a legal and above board club for full timers to get postal addresses and all that.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there is a similiar system operating in uk . i think scotjim has the details. it came up a while ago in another thread.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
there is a similiar system operating in uk . i think scotjim has the details. it came up a while ago in another thread.

sorry, I don't have the details , a while back I looked into companies who provide an address and a mail forwarding service but decided they were too expensive.. try googling 'mail address or forwarding'

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
morning jim. i remember someone saying there was a club or organisation who would manage mail n you could use their address for insurance /reg. might find it soon,keep looking.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Found this on RVFulltiming

Welcome to The Simple Mailbox

also this, may be worth checking

Your Name
THE MERIDIAN (This is required as it identifies our clients to the delivery services for incoming mail)
4 COPTHALL HOUSE
STATION SQUARE
COVENTRY
CV1 2FL
UNITED KINGDOM

if you want to read the full thread

Link Removed

hope that's helpful

jim

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
This sort of Company can do what you ask BUT at a cost - <Link Removed>

We keep several permanent 'fixtures' for convenience - Doctor, electoral roll, housing agency, Bank etc., etc., etc so that we always have a 'proper' address. Some of those fixtures we haven't been near for years - we have banked over the Internet for at least 6 years and therefore have had no reason whatsoever to go to our bank - however we can quote a 'permanent' bank account, if required.

We do have a seasonal pitch and can therefore (with their permission) use the site address for Insurance and a six month Post Office forwarding service when we are not there.

There are quite a few 'legal' ways around the system if you look a bit deeper under the veneer of 'red-tape'.

OP
OP
B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
Found this on RVFulltiming

Welcome to The Simple Mailbox

also this, may be worth checking

Your Name
THE MERIDIAN (This is required as it identifies our clients to the delivery services for incoming mail)
4 COPTHALL HOUSE
STATION SQUARE
COVENTRY
CV1 2FL
UNITED KINGDOM

if you want to read the full thread

Link Removed

hope that's helpful

jim

Cheers Jimster!

I've looked into that and the fee they charge is about £170 all-in for the year. They forward mail no questions asked :)
The trouble is you've now require ANOTHER address to actually receive the mail. They don't mention anything about you collecting every so often in person. For this you'd have to have a PO Box address. I'm not sure but what would a PO box address cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 22, 2008
Funster No
Iv'e just renewed my van insurance with Comfort again, they offer full timing insurance, I don't have that as I am not full timing, in the policy details they clearly state that in the event of a claim they can and will demand to see that you are on the electorial role, can produce utillity bills in your name and inspect the vehicle at the address you claim to be living at , so a lot of people claiming to be living somewhere when actually living in their van could be in for a surprise. :Blush::Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Iv'e just renewed my van insurance with Comfort again, they offer full timing insurance, I

I've yet to meet any fulltimer who has full time insurance, or could afford a policy from Comfort..

Any company can say they offer it.. when you get a quote it's eye watering to say the least .. OK if your an MP and could claim on expenses .. :winky:

just another full timers hurdle. :RollEyes:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Cheers Jimster!

I've looked into that and the fee they charge is about £170 all-in for the year. They forward mail no questions asked :)
The trouble is you've now require ANOTHER address to actually receive the mail. They don't mention anything about you collecting every so often in person. For this you'd have to have a PO Box address. I'm not sure but what would a PO box address cost?

but a po box needs to be in a certian area, no use for a full timer,

what you want is already in place, poste resante, all post offices offer it in england and europe,

you get the address of the post office you are clostest to when you want your mail, then give that addy to the company that holds your mail for you, they then send it to 'your name, poste resante, the post offices addy'

in 3 days time you call in at the post office, abroad there are counters just for poste resante collections,
give them your name, they go and chek if it's arrived, if it has you show ID and get your mail,

i've uses poste resante in france, germany and switzerland, germany can be a pain, they call it 'postlagernd' and can get a bit uppity with you if you've used the poste resante word, and it can take a week to get through the internal system.

i've also used poste resante in england, got the doccuments sent to me to tax my van when i was in wales, and i get perscriptions sent to me if we stay out longer than we had planned, but i use my parents as my mail collection service, dont cost a penny :) and i dont full time, just seems that when ever we go away for a few weeks, some importiant bit of mail arrives for us.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
in the policy details they clearly state that in the event of a claim they can and will demand to see that you are on the electorial role, can produce utillity bills in your name and inspect the vehicle at the address you claim to be living at

That may be the case from Comfort Insurance but I do assure you that is NOT the case for the majority of Insurance companies.

Comfort have promised for a long time that they would produce a full-timers insurance and they have NEVER yet done so at a cost that anybody could afford.

I, and a lot of others who have searched their quotes, are pretty sure that Comfort load their quotes into the thousands of pounds per year bracket simply so they do not have to produce a single full-time policy for anybody.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I've yet to meet any fulltimer who has full time insurance, or could afford a policy from Comfort

yet again america has this sorted, from the people i speak to in america who full time, it seems they have 2 policies, one for the vehicle which covers road risks... i.e. accidents.
then they get a seperate policy for the contents, which for some is for more value than the vehicle policy,

the vehicle policy is done through one of the full timing clubs i believe, escapees is just one of them,
the contents bit is done like a house policy, which is how it should be as their house is the RV, the 'address' of the property is the chassis number or reg number of the rv.. sorted.

the insurance company writes to them via their escapees mail addy, or phones them on this wonderfull invention... the mobile phone, with one of them you call the person, not the house. or of course it can all be done online,

but that'd be too simple for england,

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Me and 'er indoors sold up last year we sold my gaff and hers paid off all our debts etc and bought the MH and did it.
We use my sisters address as our base as we tend to return every 3-4 months or so! just to catch up on family events and read the accumulated mail........works for us!:thumb:

A

acko

Deleted User
Can anyone reccomend an insurance company. I have a uk registered vehicle.no UK address, but intend living and travelling more or less full time in europe. Only coming back once a year to have the vehicle tested. Anyone know how I can do this legally. Any help or advice would be appreciated on any aspect of my plan.
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back