Dart Charge - be aware (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Not sure if this has been raised before but here goes anyway:

I have a Dart Charge account though an infrequent user.
My account is in credit.
Some time ago I added a friend's car to my account - perfectly legitimate.
Last weekend my friend used the crossing and knowing his car was on my account and that my account was in credit, assumed the £1.67 would be taken from my account.
Today he received a Penalty Notice for not paying the charge in time.
I contacted Dart Charge to ask why they didn't take the charge from my account.
This is their reply:

After looking into this matter, I can inform you that the crossing in question have been recognised outside of the account, as your Dart Charge account is currently classed as inactive.

The status of your account changed to this on 01/12/2015, following 12 months of inactivity, as per clause 10 of the Terms and Conditions:

‘If you do not use your Account for a period of more than 12 consecutive months then we will write to you to inform you of your non-use (the Non-use Letter) and if you do not recommence using the Account within 30 days of the date of the Non-use Letter, we may close your Account and cancel any Tag linked to your Account.’

As a result, payment will need to be made against the vehicle registration, as the Road User Charge will not be taken from your account balance.

Furthermore, as you have not paid by the midnight the following day deadline, you must wait to receive your Penalty Charge Notice before you make any payment.

---------------------------

OK – so I didn’t read or remember the small print and nor did I receive a Non-use Letter – but, in trying to help a friend it’s going to cost me £35.

So…… if you have an account and don’t cross very often – check before you do.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think this stinks!
They had your money - your account was in credit
If they had refunded your money at the time your account became inactive, and notified you of this, then it would have been a more reasonable way to act.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hmmmm.. I wonder how many people this has caught out ?
I am gonna ring them right now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
So GW, where's your money that you were in credit for now? Have they refunded it or are they sat on it?

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Very poor practice by the Dartford Crossing, closing the account after 12 months. Doubly poor that they gave you a penalty after swallowing your remaining credit.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Outrageous #1 If they didn't actually send out the warning letter
Outrageous #2 If they have refunded your credit

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I opened an account last January because we were using the crossing to attend a funeral but before I did I sought assurance from them that I would not lose the balance if I didn't use it for a good while afterwards. At the time we thought we might use it in the van at a later date but haven't so far and our last crossing was 30th January.

I note that clause 10 says "we may close your Account", not that they will close it so it seems harsh for them to have closed it, especially if they have not refunded the balance in accordance with clause 9.5/9.6.

I think I might just terminate the account myself and ask them to refund my balance.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's still sitting in my innactive account and I'm onto them to find out what I must do to make it active again.
Up to this event I was quite impressed with the new system.
I can't see anything in the Ts&Cs about reactivating an account (or stopping it going inactive through non-use) so if it is possible then I'd be grateful if you could post the details here.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I just phoned up and registered for out bound February open return think it was 5pound

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I can't see anything in the Ts&Cs about reactivating an account (or stopping it going inactive through non-use) so if it is possible then I'd be grateful if you could post the details here.

Me neither. I'll be interested to see their latest reply when it comes.
In the meantime, if anyone is interested, I've stuck the T&C PDF file into resources.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Fortunately I crossed one way on the 30th of March this year
We will be going across toards the tunnel in January but after 10pm so free.. and returning on the 22nd of March so just in the 12 month period

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I find it completely unbelievable that credit is sat in your account but they didn't use it but rather fined you because you hadn't used the crossing for twelve months. It's all electronic not a foodstuff with a sell by date for crying out loud!

Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
I used the Tunnel last Friday and like an idiot completely forgot to pay. I haven't received a penalty notice yet so rang them and the lady appeared to say that if it's the first time I have "non-payed", I will be offered an opportunity to pay at the standard rate as part of the penalty notice pack.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I used the Tunnel last Friday and like an idiot completely forgot to pay. I haven't received a penalty notice yet so rang them and the lady appeared to say that if it's the first time I have "non-payed", I will be offered an opportunity to pay at the standard rate as part of the penalty notice pack.
Yes, I had this. Thought I'd got away with it as months passed since the incident but they got around to me in the end. Paid the £3 and set up an account. Interested to see where this thread leads though as if I drive through on the the way to the port thinking they've debited my account and instead they've closed the account and sent a fine.... while I'm abroad for a couple of months!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Me neither. I'll be interested to see their latest reply when it comes.
In the meantime, if anyone is interested, I've stuck the T&C PDF file into resources.
The Ts&Cs are on their web site to download but what doesn't appear to be there (but should be) is a form to tell them on-line that you wish to terminate the account. I've asked them to point me to it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The status of your account changed to this on 01/12/2015, following 12 months of inactivity, as per clause 10 of the Terms and Conditions:

‘If you do not use your Account for a period of more than 12 consecutive months then we will write to you to inform you of your non-use (the Non-use Letter) and if you do not recommence using the Account within 30 days of the date of the Non-use Letter, we may close your Account and cancel any Tag linked to your Account.’
Anyone else see the obvious here ?
It states " status of account changed to non-use on 1st december 2015 ".............................................................................

" If you do not recommence using your account within 30 days of the 'non-use' letter.............................."
well you have recommenced using the account within 30 days of the date of cessation. Your friend went over last weekend.
The fact that you have not received the non-use letter isn't your problem. As Robert said just appeal you have done nothing wrong & they are attempting to obtain money whilst incorrectly applying their own requirements.

Additionally I'd enclose a bill for time & money spent dealing with it as well.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It states " status of account changed to non-use on 1st december 2015 ".............................................................................

" If you do not recommence using your account within 30 days of the 'non-use' letter.............................."
well you have recommenced using the account within 30 days of the date of cessation. Your friend went over last weekend.
The fact that you have not received the non-use letter isn't your problem. As Robert said just appeal you have done nothing wrong & they are attempting to obtain money whilst incorrectly applying their own requirements.

Additionally I'd enclose a bill for time & money spent dealing with it as well.
Good point, I missed the date. As the new system didn't go live until 30th November last year then nobody who has made a crossing (no matter how infrequently) could have had 12 months of inactivity by 1st December this year.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years

well you have recommenced using the account within 30 days of the date of cessation. Your friend went over last weekend........

Yes, I'd spotted that and it was in my reply to them.

I'm fairly confident I can get my money back but what a pain!!

Just another example of the big boys trying to screw us and the need to watch your back all the time.

It certainly won't spoil my trip - time to turn that steak over and pour another beer :)

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Good point, I missed the date. As the new system didn't go live until 30th November last year then nobody who has made a crossing (no matter how infrequently) could have had 12 months of inactivity by 1st December this year.

The last, and only, trip registered on my account was on December 2 2014.

Reactions: GJH
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
And all this to implement a charge (toll) that we were assured would end when the bridge had been paid for!

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
You may not get a fine as we had a hire van last week and forgot to pay on way home yesterday got a penalty charge but along with it I had the chance to pay crossing fee of £3 which I did and all clear now thought that was very fair

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
If you dispose of a vehicle don't forget to remove it from your account.
1) No one else can register it or pay it online.
2) You will get charged, if they wipe your credit, it's down to you!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
So, I have £6 odds in my account. I won't be crossing till September which is past the deadline.
Now, how do I re instate my account when I get my new van?
Or do I have to open another account?

Tis bloody stupid!!!

:xblink:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I would also get your MP involved AND Trading Standards just to be awkward and kick up a stink.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I didn't know about this either - what a worry. I have been expecting some correspondence from them, perhaps to top up the account so looks as though I've got to look back to see when we last made the crossing. This is just like Vodafone who took all the credit on Derek's mobile 'phone because he didn't use it. It sucks!:xangry::xsad::doh:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not being funny, but if anyone is only going to use the crossing a couple of times a year wouldn't it be easier to pay online each time you use it, it's quite quick and simple and they don't get your money till you need to pay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back