Ferries and France in February (1 Viewer)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We might be taking the van over to France in mid February and heading down to near Angers. Just wondering what the motorways are like in northern France in the middle of Winter. Are they kept clear of snow? We will be staying on aires on the way, have to make sure we find ones with the water still switched on.

I doubt we will have enough Tesco vouchers for the Tunnel by then so we might have to use the ferry. A quick check shows cheapish fares (about £100 return) but I was wondering how often sailings are delayed by bad weather or do the ships just plough through it?

Why February? We have an invite to a party and we don't know whether to try taking the van.

Paul

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I would probably bite the bullet and pay to go through the tunnel in February. You can still put what Tesco voucher value you've got towards the fare and pay the balance.

Fares seem to start at around £170 return in February for a MH. So yes, it's seventy quid more, but I suppose it depends how good your sea legs are? On the other hand, the Channel might be like a mill pond! :xwink:

Safe travels, whatever you decide.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We had 10 days in northern France in mid February this year. Never encountered any problems with weather. I seem to remember the water was off at Fort Mahon Plage but nowhere else. Used the Dover- Calais ferries both ways with no problems.

Angers is about 320 miles from Calais, mostly motorway.

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I would probably bite the bullet and pay to go through the tunnel in February. You can still put what Tesco voucher value you've got towards the fare and pay the balance.

Fares seem to start at around £170 return in February for a MH. So yes, it's seventy quid more, but I suppose it depends how good your sea legs are? On the other hand, the Channel might be like a mill pond! :xwink:

Safe travels, whatever you decide.

Mike

We had 10 days in northern France in mid February this year. Never encountered any problems with weather. I seem to remember the water was off at Fort Mahon Plage but nowhere else. Used the Dover- Calais ferries both ways with no problems.

Angers is about 320 miles from Calais, mostly motorway.

Thanks for the advice Mike and Barry.

I would prefer the ferry but SWMBO is not the best traveller so it might have to be the tunnel. I have told her to use the Tesco credit card for everything so we will have a large part of the cost hopefully.

Paul

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I've been looking into the ferry costs. The Dover/Calais are the cheapest and most frequent across the English Channel. The water is well sheltered (compared to Biscay) and the prices are the best you will find......

If you have the time, then take a ferry. If boats frighten you then take the tunnel.

Me? I look for value for money first..... (y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Don't know how often you cross the Channel? The frequent traveller tickets are a bit of a bargain IMHO.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/tickets/types/frequent-traveller/

Costs £43 each way for a car and an additional £11 for a MH, so £54 each way - £108 return. And lots of choice on crossing you can use.

Need to buy 10 single tickets @£43 = £430, to be used in any 12 month period.

BUT, the good thing is, you can share your account with another person - so if you can find a buddy who also goes across the Channel a few times, it works a treat. They can be a car driver or a motorhomer, or whatever.

We partner with our neighbour, who also has a camper - really ace scheme and great value in mid-summer.

Mike

Edited to add, that you can't use Tesco vouchers, unfortunately. xroll:

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I've been looking into the ferry costs. The Dover/Calais are the cheapest and most frequent across the English Channel. The water is well sheltered (compared to Biscay) and the prices are the best you will find......

If you have the time, then take a ferry. If boats frighten you then take the tunnel.

Me? I look for value for money first..... (y)

We are only going for a week or so at the most so I don't want to spend more than I have to.

Last time we used the ferry back from Calais there was a force 9 gale blowing. The ferry needed tugs to get clear of the dock then it was a bit rocky on the way over. Wife was fine until they announced we would not be able to dock at Dover for a while because of the weather. There was only about a 45 minute delay but that was enough to bring on her seasickness.

Prefer a bit calmer than this.....

storm.jpg

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Don't know how often you cross the Channel? The frequent traveller tickets are a bit of a bargain IMHO.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/tickets/types/frequent-traveller/

Costs £43 each way for a car and an additional £11 for a MH, so £54 each way - £108 return. And lots of choice on crossing you can use.

Need to buy 10 single tickets @£43 = £430, to be used in any 12 month period.

BUT, the good thing is, you can share your account with another person - so if you can find a buddy who also goes across the Channel a few times, it works a treat. They can be a car driver or a motorhomer, or whatever.

We partner with our neighbour, who also has a camper - really ace scheme and great value in mid-summer.

Mike

Edited to add, that you can't use Tesco vouchers, unfortunately. xroll:

Thanks Mike

At those prices we could just hop across the channel for a long weekend when we felt like it, something to think about certainly.

Paul

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We've had to do trips back and forth to the UK a couple of times during Jan and Feb and have never had a problem with the crossing or the major roads and motorways.
Just go for it

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
A bit of lateral thinking here Paul; if you want to let the train take the strain, the SNCF website is giving around £180 for two adult returns from London to Angers. Takes about 7 hours. Of course you wouldn't have your MH for accommodation, but perhaps a bad weather idea?

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
A bit of lateral thinking here Paul; if you want to let the train take the strain, the SNCF website is giving around £180 for two adult returns from London to Angers. Takes about 7 hours. Of course you wouldn't have your MH for accommodation, but perhaps a bad weather idea?

Never thought of taking the train all the way Barry. I looked at Ryanair from Stanstead to Tours but train appeals.

Thanks for the tip.

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back