Vets on the way home from Spain (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The itinerary for the journey home is this:

leaving Benidorm early on the 17th of March
Average travelling time back up to Calais is 3 days if we take it easy
Chunnel booked for 9am on the 22nd
We like to pop in to Adinkerke to visit some good friends for a day or two..

How long after a dog has been to the vets in Spain have we got to get back to the UK
I seem to remember it is but 5 days
With that in mind I think I will need to visit a vet somewhere close to either Calais or Adinkerke

Can any one make any suggestions ?

Our van is 30ft long so parking in small or congested towns is not really practical

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes you have more than 24 hours & up to 5 days to get back in.
There is a vet at Hesdin , next to the Lidl's supermarket.
Here ;
https://www.google.es/maps/search/Lidl,+Hesdin/@50.3651196,1.999647,13.75z
It is on theD928 from Abbeville to St omar. I have never used the vets but always keep it in mind as ideally placed, easy parking in road outside Lidls
( There is a height barrier on their car park ) ,normally quite quiet around it.
I asked some Brits there last year & they told me 30€ & they speak English .

I 've used this route from Abbeville as it drops you straight down into Dunkirk port on the roundabout . So if you went this way you'd just do a right up road toget to your friends .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's 24 - 120 hours and they will check it down to the minute so if you're cutting it fine make sure the vet fills in the passport properly.

Not sure if it fits in with your timescale and she's bloody expensive but the vet in Honfleur opposite the aire is very accommodating if you just walk in and speaks English. She's become our vet of choice because one of my dogs has for some unknown reason decided he hates all vets apart from her. He even panics at our usual local one but he's quite happy in Honfleur. Only I could get a Springer with expensive tastes :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We use the one at Rue which is about 6km from Le Crotoy and right next to Lidl and Aldi. It has a decent size car park and cost €37. It's about 1 1/2 hours from Calais avoiding tolls.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The itinerary for the journey home is this:

leaving Benidorm early on the 17th of March
Average travelling time back up to Calais is 3 days if we take it easy
Chunnel booked for 9am on the 22nd
We like to pop in to Adinkerke to visit some good friends for a day or two..

How long after a dog has been to the vets in Spain have we got to get back to the UK
I seem to remember it is but 5 days
With that in mind I think I will need to visit a vet somewhere close to either Calais or Adinkerke

Can any one make any suggestions ?

Our van is 30ft long so parking in small or congested towns is not really practical
As you cross back to the UK on Tuesday 22nd March you'll need to get the dog sorted ideally on Friday/Saturday - this gives you an extra day or two 'buffer' after your booked crossing time in case there are probelms with getting back (eg bad weather, blockages, hold-ups en route) - you could do it Sunday but it will cost you a packet!!! Whilst you could do it on Thursday any delay in crossing could mean you end up having to do it again!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes you have more than 24 hours & up to 5 days to get back in.
There is a vet at Hesdin , next to the Lidl's supermarket.
Here ;
https://www.google.es/maps/search/Lidl,+Hesdin/@50.3651196,1.999647,13.75z
It is on theD928 from Abbeville to St omar. I have never used the vets but always keep it in mind as ideally placed, easy parking in road outside Lidls
( There is a height barrier on their car park ) ,normally quite quiet around it.
I asked some Brits there last year & they told me 30€ & they speak English .

I 've used this route from Abbeville as it drops you straight down into Dunkirk port on the roundabout . So if you went this way you'd just do a right up road toget to your friends .

That looks spot on mate.. Only adds 12 miles to the journey too !

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Vets on the way home from Spain

Come on John you may be a Vet but it's hardly flattering to Mo:xwink:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Crap .. Well spotted Minxey

I think the best thing I can do is ring up the Chunnel and change the return date to the 23rd
We use the one at Rue which is about 6km from Le Crotoy and right next to Lidl and Aldi. It has a decent size car park and cost €37. It's about 1 1/2 hours from Calais avoiding tolls.

Hmmm.. Just did a search on that one.. reviews are not exactly inspiring to be honest mate

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Crap .. Well spotted Minxey

I think the best thing I can do is ring up the Chunnel and change the return date to the 23rd
Er, no you don't need to do that ... just get the dog done Friday or Saturday wherever you will be ... we find that if we get to a village and see a vet's offices and pop in they can often fit us in or make an appointment within an hour or 2 so we can get the dogs done en route. If however someone can give the name of vets along your route you can plan where you'll be and pre-book an appointment.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do you think the vets will be open on Saturday ?
If so then def not a problem

If we had it done on Friday it would be close to the edge to be sure of leaving within the 5 day period
Fri
Sat
Sun
Mon
Tues

As has been said, only has to be a delay at Calais and would have to start again !!

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Well we've used them three times, it's newish, clean and we've been impressed with the service from the vets. Haven't seen reviews but will have to look out of interest now ;)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welll.. Sussed out the one Gus suggested.. It is Docteurs Colle Dupont and they are open Saturday all day

I will do a bit more research on the one at Rue as well Ven :)

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
We have used the vets opposite the popular campsite in Luxembourg city; a good excuse to visit !! Toby Trux

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
John, if there is a Pet's World near were your staying they will post stamp the passport for you. Our local Pet's World will do ours 7/14 days, so we can travel up through France in slow time.

Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
John we have used the one in Rue twice this year with no problems and an English speaking vet it cost was 38 euro's both time's for a large dog.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
John, if there is a Pet's World near were your staying they will post stamp the passport for you. Our local Pet's World will do ours 7/14 days, so we can travel up through France in slow time.

The closest one would be in Orihuela .. some distance from Beni
I have now got all the details of both Rue and Hesdin options..
Though I cannot find if the Rue one is open on Saturday or not

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
John, they are open Saurdays. You need an appointment in the morning or just turn up after 13.30 and wait. We've always called before and made an appointment no problems.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I wouldn't worry too much about reviews for a return to England checkup, you are only after a worming tablet and the correct bits in the passport, I would be more concerned if I was a diagnosis for something.

The only variation I have found is how willing the vet might be to stuff a tablet down a reluctant 47kg Ridgebacks throat! Once the vet was quite happy, the next it was up to me to get it down them (x2) and as I'd left the bag of cheese and ham that I had got ready in the van I opted for an injection instead as it was offered.

Ok for one, but a couple of hours later the other came up in pea size lumps up his legs and eventually his head, face and even eye lids! Luckily the vets that was open late out of the 12 or so in the La Rochelle area was the one who'd administered it! Back we went for another jab to counteract it. All turned out ok, no additional costs and a healthy happy dog.

I certainly wouldn't take the injection option again. Ironically, it wasn't the one who is a sod to get tablets down that had the reaction! Doh.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Given Dillon seem to eat virtually anything ( including his bed blanket ! ) I doubt the pill taking will be much of a problem !!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Jaws if you look in resources under miscilaneous there is a good list of vets in Europe which you can download.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Now why didn't I think of that !! Oh well, Its a decent thread to chat about any way !!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That is so wrong it is infuriating! The whole point of this scheme, which as been a long time coming and benefits a lot of people is to ensure that we don't get not only rabies but the horrible worms in our country. By getting it pre-stamped (which I believe is illegal) you are not complying with the rules and could be putting not only our own pets at risk in the UK but also risk the scheme being revised!

The only 'slight' saving grace would be if you still administer the worm tabled in the 5-1 day period ... but I still do NOT condone this one bit - the rules are there for a reason and even if you still 'comply' with them except for the date it doesn't mean others do.

Deleted User
M
That is so wrong it is infuriating! The whole point of this scheme, which as been a long time coming and benefits a lot of people is to ensure that we don't get not only rabies but the horrible worms in our country. By getting it pre-stamped (which I believe is illegal) you are not complying with the rules and could be putting not only our own pets at risk in the UK but also risk the scheme being revised!

The only 'slight' saving grace would be if you still administer the worm tabled in the 5-1 day period ... but I still do NOT condone this one bit - the rules are there for a reason and even if you still 'comply' with them except for the date it doesn't mean others do.
Must admit they do seem a bit lax in Spain, we got our three done earlier in year in Benicarlo, great vet all very easy but they did insist on dating the passports for the day after we attended as they were concerned we might be pushing it getting to Calais in time, we weren't happy with it and a little concerned about getting caught. And as it turned out we had no need of the cheat as we were in Calais two days later, and had to book a later tunnel than ideal as the passport extra date meant we were still within the official min 24 hours to cross.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Welll.. Sussed out the one Gus suggested.. It is Docteurs Colle Dupont and they are open Saturday all day

I will do a bit more research on the one at Rue as well Ven :)

opening hours

1. Centre Vétérinaire Docteurs Colle Dupont  

Veterinarian
    Address: Lotissement le Grand Tour, D136, 62140 Marconne, France
    Phone:+33 3 21 86 80 66
    Hours:
    Wednesday 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM
    Thursday 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM
    Friday 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM
    Saturday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
    Sunday Closed
    Monday 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM
    Tuesday 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM

So does my vet.

What you have to remember is that here in Spain it is a requirement that these tablets are taken , every 3 months & that the dogs veterinary book is filled in , stamped & signed to that effect. If the dog has a "passport" then the details have to be entered in that.
This year my dog had his usual done in June. I then had to have it done again in July to comply with the 'passport' requirements. So ifanything a Spanish registered dog will be "overdone" with the worming tablets.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Just a reminder, I was stopped with my dog because although the vet had signed and stamped the passport, she had not put the TIME on it. I had to go to another vet who had to contact my vet to confirm the time.......cost 35 Euros.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It's timed as your arrival into UK, not when you leave Spain

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
It's timed as your arrival into UK, not when you leave Spain

The time is when the Spanish vet gives the tablet as well as the date. I travel from Spain with dog quite a lot, once passport had date but no time, I was stopped from traveling, as I had turned up at Santander early I had time to go to the vet they suggested, he contacted my vet near Seville, the vet sent a fax confirmation of the time the tablet had been given, the vet in Santander then puts the time in and places his stamp onto the passport I paid 30 or 35 Euros for his trouble, I could then go back to boat and they then let me board.

No time on passport......no travel.....end of.

But that is only my story, other may fair better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back