Astra South, am I right in thinking ............ (1 Viewer)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
.......... that I should still be able to log onto Astra satellite way after I have lost UK channels?

I am in Arles last night and a dozen or so miles further north I was picking all UK channels in Avignon. Tonight I can't even lock onto the satellite.

From past memory I seem to remember that for quite some time after losing UK signals I could lock on to the sat and that the progress of losing reception was gradual with C5 going first and radio continuing for several miles later. Even then I was able to log on to sat if there was no signal.

Hotbird is fine. I suspect something has gone awry, what do you think. It's an Allen 85 with up to date drivers in the SSC.

Dick

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
If I remember correctly it depends on which Transponder your system locks onto.

If it is on Astra2F you may now be out of range.

You will probably have to manually lock onto Astra28.2.

You can still pick up many Sky premium channels and some Freesat channels on a 85cm dish, in Spain.

:cooler:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
These days there is no such things as a South beam on the current Astra 2 UK TV satellites.

Just UK beams and Europe beams.

Astra 2e, 2f and 2g have both UK and European beams.

So, if your system is looking for a frequency on the European beam, then it will locate the satellite better than if trying to look for a frequency on the "weaker" harder to receive UK beam.

So of course it is possible for you to lose channels (on the UK beam) and still lock onto the satellite using those on the European beam.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Sorry, I must have misread the post, I thought you said you could not auto-lock on Astra28.2.

:cooler:
Do you read right. I auto lock hotbird but not Astra, fine last night 20 mile away. As it scans (I've got the receiver on R4) I hear a brief blip of it but it then moves on. Will get on the roof tomorrow.

Dick

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
l don't think you have any problems, I have a Snipe and found once you get down just north of Orange you can't lock onto Astra 2.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
l don't think you have any problems, I have a Snipe and found once you get down just north of Orange you can't lock onto Astra 2.
Was thinking of buying the Snipe unit, any feedback would be welcome, Thks

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Got on the roof this morning and had a look. No sign of damage the lnb was secure and hadn't moved but there was no obvious sign of any skew. Could that be it? As I said works perfectly on hotbird, listened to the news on the world service this morning.

I have locked on to astra2 way into Italy and Andalus with the same equipment in the past, but it was refurbished last year. I know though that since the changes to the beam I would not get UK reception in those areas but su rely I should be able to lock

Dick

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I may be well off but here goes. When it was refurbished did the software get updated. To auto lock it looks for a signal. If that is on the "UK" beam then it will struggle as you go south. If it is looking on a channel that is strong in southern europe it will lock on ok. Which channel is it looking for? With our oyster we had to download new software to get it to "look" for a stronger signal. Sorry terminology is all wrong but hope you get the drift. Basically same as post 3. Martin.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had an Oyster on the last van, down in the Camargue it would lock onto Astra 2 but no signals, the Snipe doesn't lock on, but fine on other satellites. I think Dick has answered is own question he just said it's had a softwear update. As long as it locks onto saterllites that have a signal it's OK, he is looking for problems that aren't there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back