Time to visit Italy; but how to do it? (1 Viewer)

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
We've not taken our van to Italy yet, so next year we plan to make a start. Watching the current Gino D"ACampo and Alex Polizzi series on TV, suggests that we should also take in Sardinia and Sicily at least.

I'm tempted to plan to "recce" the lot over an 8 week period, sort of circular tour. Probably drive down and get ferry back from Sicily to Genoa.
We could then maybe go back and fill in the detail over the coming years.

We've bought the D-K guide to Italy. We've been to Italy and enjoyed the food and main attractions, but would like to dig a bit deeper.
Thanks for any advice,
regards
alan b

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Watching this thread with a particular interest in the lakes.... sort of a tour round Switzerland without going in there. PS is Italy a lot more expensive than France?

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
Absolutely love Italy, but not the "Armani/Ferrari" culture.... How does the working class Italian afford to live ?!? First trip was 112 degrees in Lucca in October. Two abiding memories from Florence. Firstly a 20's something lady cycling away from the centre around midday on a quiet road - singing opera at the top of her beautiful voice ! Secondly, at the campsite Panoramique overlooking the city we got used to the regular church bells. However at 6.30 pm each day the last set played went off into another apparently random tune which we came to recognise as the national anthem ! Love it ! Keep on truckin' with Toby Trux.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
Attempted second trip was 57 degrees Celcius in August this year in Chiusa Klausen; we opted to return to Austria as 3 peeps in the 3 vehicle convoy were really suffering in the heat(wave). Myself ? I just loved it !!! Toby Trux, aka Crusty Jack.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
57 degrees Celcius

You have me worried, I was thinking late May, Jun, heading home early July, would that be safe for polar bears ?

I have cab air-con(for travelling) "Endless breeze" Fan but not air-con in the habitation.

Mrs Moo doesn't take prisoners, makes for an unhappy camp if I haven't covered all the bases. She isn't a lounging round the swimming pool "wallah". Should I be thinking Atlantic coast instead, or is my timing relatively safe.
I bow to your infinite experience of things Italiano. ;)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We were in garda this may. We needed the aircon on, PIC taken 17 may in sirmione

20150518_135634.jpg

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
holiday temps

I hope that thermometer was needing technos' attention to get it back to reality ? Surely it wasn't as hot as that for an extended spell ? I was looking forward to some DRY weather

Milan – Northern Italy

Month High (F) Low (F) High (C) Low (C) Wet Days
January
44 25 7 -4 8
February 47 27 8 -3 9
March 56 34 13 1 8
April 62 40 17 4 6
May 70 49 21 9 5
June 77 55 25 13 4
July 83 60 28 16 1
August 82 60 28 16 2
September 75 54 24 12 5
October 64 44 18 7 8
November 52 33 11 1 11
December 45 26 7 -3 10

First two figs High and low Fahrenheit, second two high and low Celsius, next figs days of rain. Thats' Italian tourist board figures. Seems to get wetter as Summer rolls on ?? I suppose that is heat induced thunder storms ?

So who is kidding who ? You lot winding me up ? ;)

PS I see there is an aire in Sirmione would you recommend ? Were you bothered with Mossies thatnear the water ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nope not winding you up, we have had 38 - 40 deg on lake Garda in July, 34 sounds quite plesant to me. Thoses figures are probably average daily & night temps it's gets a lot hotter between 12 and 3pm.
@parknride must be a bit of a wimp needing aircon when it's only 34 deg, :xgrin:
My daughter lives in Bangkok, 34 that's winter temps, last Easter it hit 50 deg C.:xsmile:

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
@lennyhb I love the temps and am not a wimp, can out sun most peeps:boxing::xangry:Needed aircon for my cat.

@Moodybrook we stayed on camping butterfly ACSI but had to wait for a space so went on another ACSI site further up the road for a week till availability. It was hot the whole time we were there UNTIL the day we went to Verona, then....
IMG_20150520_114800.jpg

We continued on through lake maggiore and into Lucerne, (expensive, amazing, worth it) through alsace and home. Hope to go back next year and carry on to Venice. We will pre book camping butterfly though. Or camping cappucine as recommended on here.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies

Mrs Moo wants to take in an opera there so hope we have better luck, 25th Jun, we might be toiling if it gets that hot. Thing is you really need to book and I don't think a refund would be imminent if we have to beat a retreat just because of the heat. Might be able to flog them though. I've told too many friends we are going so can't wimp out completely, will have to give it a go.
I can handle it but Mrs is not so flexible.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Two tips for Italy

All national, and regionally owned historical sites, galleries and museums (including the most expensive like Pompey) are free to EU citizens over 65. You do need to present your passport though.

Devote at least a week to explore the multitude of attractions around the Bay of Naples. A good way to do it is stay at the ASCI campsite at the entraance to the ruins of Pompey. It is also next door to a railway station that will take you every where cheaply on a day ticket even the ferry to Capri and bus stop for the trip down the Amalfy coast and Revello in Sorrento

Dick

OP
OP
yellabellyex

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
[QUOTE="
Devote at least a week to explore the multitude of attractions around the Bay of Naples. A good way to do it is stay at the ASCI campsite at the entraance to the ruins of Pompey. It is also next door to a railway station that will take you every where cheaply on a day ticket even the ferry to Capri and bus stop for the trip down the Amalfy coast and Revello in Sorrento

Dick[/QUOTE]
Campsite Spartacus; or Zeus?
I was hoping for that sort of suggestion; thanks Dick, sounds like worth booking that site!

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
It rained one day when we were in Verona too. Although it's a "bucket list" destination, I found the surroundings of Venice to be disappointing after the joys of Verona and Tuscany. We want to be there NOW !!!!!!! Keep on truckin', Toby.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
if your going to venice, watch out for the tiger mosquitos, bloody massive and bite like a tiger.
PS. venice..vastly over rated,and very expensive. Not a patch on Annecy. or even Amsterdam.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
if your going to venice, watch out for the tiger mosquitos, bloody massive and bite like a tiger.
PS. venice..vastly over rated,and very expensive. Not a patch on Annecy. or even Amsterdam.
Oh interesting! Might just go back to Verona then, loved it but couldn't do it justice in the rain and I had a badly sprained ankle.
@Glandwr that sounds good info thanks.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A good way to do it is stay at the ASCI campsite at the entraance to the ruins of Pompey.
Dick

A better way is to stay in Sorrento. Same transport links but so much nicer for an evening walk. You have rail round to Pompeii/Herculaneum/Naples or high speed ferry across to Naples. Ferry to Capri. I assume bus to Amalfi but not used that.

Reactions: LAM
OP
OP
yellabellyex

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Brian; I'll get the navigator to check the campsites.
I fancy having a base in that area for a week or so and maybe hire a car for a couple of days.
We are thinking of setting off in May (I'm told!) so probably middle of the month by the time we get down there.
regards
alan b

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
maybe hire a car for a couple of days.
alan b

Only one campsite in Sorrento, something "d'oro".

We flew to Naples and hired a car, before MH, great experience. I had the wing mirrors "pinged" twice in the first mile, it was that or wear a scooter.

I'm proud to say it went back with the same number of dents as it was picked up with. The only cars in Naples without dents are in showrooms.

We've done it since in MH and it seemed easier in a big white van.

All picks are in my sig.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Nope not winding you up, we have had 38 - 40 deg on lake Garda in July, 34 sounds quite plesant to me. Thoses figures are probably average daily & night temps it's gets a lot hotter between 12 and 3pm.
@parknride must be a bit of a wimp needing aircon when it's only 34 deg, :xgrin:
My daughter lives in Bangkok, 34 that's winter temps, last Easter it hit 50 deg C.:xsmile:

last year our 12 visiting Garda in the summer. temps always mid 30's to high 30's and over 40's heatwaves as well on occasions. Except 2014 which was a disaster weather wise everywhere we visited.

Salo is a nice town has a free and pay Aire

OP
OP
yellabellyex

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Found "Bluegreen Campsite @ Piano di Sorrento" 28Euro/night, high scores on most important facilities. Sounds worth planning to use as a base for a week or so. Has anybody stayed there? Low season April-June, which would work for us.
Also; I believe there's an Italian equivalent of France Passion; any experiences? I'm seriously considering a refit of the washroom so we can be a bit more flexible and self-contained; which for us is a major change of approach!
regards
alan b

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Oh interesting! Might just go back to Verona then, loved it but couldn't do it justice in the rain and I had a badly sprained ankle.
@Glandwr that sounds good info thanks.
We loved Verona, used it as a base and use the trains - great service.. Pichera del Garda 15 mins on a fast train - lovely place on south east tip of Garda. Also got the fast train into Venice...had a great day of sightseeing, food and wine.. The ticket machines at Verona rail station are brilliant - multilingual and very easy to use. Travel Prima Classe (First) - not expensive..

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Fatore Amico is the Italian version of France Passion
We've used them on a number of occasions and they have all been excellent

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We have cycled extensively in northern and central Italy and love it. We have taken the motorhome to Sicily which was fantastic!

Wherever you go you will be surrounded by history, culture and food to die for.

My suggestions to visit are :-

Through Switzerland to Balgano, Venice, Florence then across to Tuscany ( anywhere inland in Tuscany is great but would highlight Lucca and Sienna)
Rome, Pompei/ Herculaneum ( bus train only as no Motorhomes are allowed down the coast road - in normal day hours) the south is unknown to me but Sicily you can take 3-5 weeks to see. But highlight Palermo, Syracucusa, Agrigento, Piazza Almeria, . You can see Phonecian, Greek, Roman, Norman, French and Italian history in one island.

Believe me you will never tire of Italy, go and enjoy yourselves!!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I fancy having a base in that area for a week or so and maybe hire a car for a couple of days.
alan b

The guide books say "travel the Amalfi Coast from East to West". That didn't fit very well with my itinerary so we went W-E: BIG MISTAKE! We were "trapped" up against rocky cliffs for much of the way, with rare views over the sea often blocked by cars on the opposite side of the road.

The guide books say "use public transport". We already had a hire car so we ignored that advice: BIG MISTAKE!! I hit the wing mirror on a jutting-out rock but recovered the glossy white mirror-guard and fastened it all back together well enough to deceive the garage when we got back to Rome. Finding a parking place was almost impossible. The cost of fuel was more than the cost of tickets. I didn't have a heart attack but I'm sure several were lurking on the horizon: Italian drivers are rightly renowned for their aggression and their ability to choose which traffic laws they obey (and it isn't many!).

Have a good holiday but listen to advice.

If you want peace and quiet, try Laghi di Monticchio near Rionero in Vulture: there is a lovely lake overlooked by a beautiful white monastery (now a museum) in the woods.

Near Civitella Alfedena there is a wolf park, where we caught a glimpse of one in a clearing. The town of Pescaseroli is regarded as the wolf-centre of National Park of Abruzzo and has a good TIC.

Just outside Andria is a very interesting 8-sided castle, which features on the obverse of one of the Italian coins. Andria itself is an interesting place BUT we found TomTom had most of the one-way streets in the wrong direction. The local seaside resorts of Trani and Barletta are lovely in places.

If you want somewhere different, try Arberobello for the Trulli houses: a bit touristy but worth it and not too well known in UK.

The Sassi in Matera is a region of cave-dwellings which was known as the cesspit of Italy but many have been renovated and it is an interesting spot. Parking could be a problem.

ENJOY - Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back