OK..back to basics- shape/length (1 Viewer)

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Apologies if this is a much asked question, but.......

to anyone......why did you choose an A-class, over a semi-integrated MH ? (or vice versa, of course). Do they drive differently, is one type more manouevrable, what are the advantages of one type over the other ie longevity

Thank You.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Apologies if this is a much asked question, but.......

to anyone......why did you choose an A-class, over a semi-integrated MH ? (or vice versa, of course). Do they drive differently, is one type more manouevrable, what are the advantages of one type over the other ie longevity

Thank You.
Neither, we went for a panel van conversion (PVC) :xgrin: And why? It had the layout we wanted in a small package, a good kitchen and felt light and airy inside with very comfortable lounging seats.

But generally most folk say layout is what you need to choose on so find what works for you first before deciding on a type of MH.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have an A class so slight bias, I guess I always liked the style of the A class and I never drooled over a van that wasn't this style. On the plus side I would say the A class does not show its age as a Coachbuilt does, you get a great view out the front when driving and parked up, they are warmer as the fully insulated side panels run all the way to the front and ours has double glazed side windows in the cab lots of A class have no cab doors so again no draughts , more useable space as the cab and seats are more part of the lounge (this might be model specific).

Downsides? Not sure really, yes the windscreen is expensive so just make sure it covered on your insurance, there are very few A class UK built vans so if you don't like continental layouts you are stuffed.

Personally I don't think we will ever have anything other than an A class.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A class: Lighter weight normally, better insulated....normally shorter then a comparable coachbuilt, usually have double floors but so do some coachbuilts. As they are the same width all the way and usually the front seats are wider apart they feel more spacious. none of the drafts associated with a coachbuilt. heating goes all the way to the front so more snug for winter camping.

you really have to tell us more about yourselves as if its just for summer use may be not necessary as they do cost more..far better value if you buy an import though..

a rear transverse bed over a garage for all your junk, bikes etc....makes the best use of space and keeps the length reasonable. a longer van with twin singles or a french bed popular these days saves all the climbing over each other.

just keep on going to look at them. I tried an A class for the first time this summer at Carthago City in Germany and enjoyed driving it very much, very maneuverable. It will be our next van eventually all being well.

Eddie

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You don't get a cockpit like this in a Coachbuilt or PVC.

image.jpeg

Martin

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You don't get a cockpit like this in a Coachbuilt or PVC.

View attachment 85494

Martin
Each to their own. I don't like the giant screens to much on view too much heat/sun coming in & blinding you. Same as I can't see the point of the glass car roofs . What's that all about ? Prefer the coach built with a nice shady overhang.
I like to see without being seen.:xThumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I prefer the Aclass because for its size an Aclass always feels more spacious than a coachbuilt. When not driving the rotated front seals add to the the space without the cab being a separate area.

I find them nicer to drive as the greater width of the cockpit feels better, the large windscreen gives a great view, and being set quite a way forward from the seating position means that there is no glare from the sun unless its very low. (This is also true of the overcab bed coachbuilt but not the low profile type). A coachbuilt retaining the van bodywork can make the front of the MH cold in the winter.

There is no visible steel bodywork on an A class so body rust doesn't happen. Many A class vans are very old and still look good.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I prefer the Aclass because for its size an Aclass always feels more spacious than a coachbuilt. When not driving the rotated front seals add to the the space without the cab being a separate area.

I find them nicer to drive as the greater width of the cockpit feels better, the large windscreen gives a great view, and being set quite a way forward from the seating position means that there is no glare from the sun unless its very low. (This is also true of the overcab bed coachbuilt but not the low profile type). A coachbuilt retaining the van bodywork can make the front of the MH cold in the winter.

There is no visible steel bodywork on an A class so body rust doesn't happen. Many A class vans are very old and still look good.

That being said the latest lightweight versions can be as wide as a panel van...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

As above + the drop-down bed suits me. The pull-out single is full size for wifey & I have the huge drop-down. I like everything about the A-class - big windows, front lounge with swivel seats, hab door at the back (well on mine anyway). It's like driving a big, comfy, lounge with a bay window.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Layout, layout, layout. Each to there own. :xThumb:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We have just fell in love with one of these - Why ? Its only just over half a meter longer than a LWB Panel van, its more or less the same width as a panel van, its slightly lower than a Panel van it drives very much the same as a Panel van, yet it has bags of storage (which i think most Panel vans lack) and i have seen many Panel vans that costs more to buy !
$_57.JPG

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We have just fell in love with one of these - Why ? Its only just over half a meter longer than a LWB Panel van, its more or less the same width as a panel van, its slightly lower than a Panel van it drives very much the same as a Panel van, yet it has bags of storage (which i think most Panel vans lack) and i have seen many Panel vans that costs more to buy ! Fixed Double beds in the rear over a very generous garage, nice bathroom and living area for film watching :xgrin:
View attachment 85541

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
We have just fell in love with one of these - Why ? Its only just over half a meter longer than a LWB Panel van, its more or less the same width as a panel van, its slightly lower than a Panel van it drives very much the same as a Panel van, yet it has bags of storage (which i think most Panel vans lack) and i have seen many Panel vans that costs more to buy !
View attachment 85541
Looks nice what is it?.......Martin

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Our first MH is a 2013 Majestic 175 what type of build is it?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
View attachment 85541

This Carthago A class same length/width more of less as our panel van. plus it works well @ 3500kg
panel van 6360
Carthago i 138 6400

images.jpg

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We had a Swift Bessacarr E450 (fixed french bed layout) for four years and loved it, but I always hankered after a Hymer B544. We changed earlier this year when one came up at Lowdhams at a reasonable price. The B544 is much quieter when driving, far warmer, much better storage/seating options, half a metre shorter and the drop down bed is the most comfortable that we have ever had, including home. No change to insurance price, cheaper road tax because it's classed as HGV and it does slightly more to the gallon. The Swift was a 2.3 130 and this is a 2.3 150. The only downside was biting the bullet and paying for it.
We always thought fixed bed was the best and we were wrong.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years

Now that really looks stunning....... but..... as someone mentioned earlier - layout, layout, layout..... and this one for many doesn't have that "day lounging" layout so as nice as it looks I doubt the layout, and so the van, would appeal to many.
Just as well we all have different ideas of what we like - wouldn't it be boring, and confusing, if, on returning to the aire/campsite/parking spot we were faced with a line of identical vans. :)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Funflair. What are the definitions of panel vans, A class, coach built, and any other MH builds?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
A panel van is a van thats converted a coach built is a cab with either the original chassis or an aftermarket one and the motorhome is built on that, an a class is completely built on a engine chassis unit from scratch usually you cant immediately see what vehicle its built on

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have just moved from an Adria coachbuilt to a Hymer A class. They were similar layouts, with fixed twin single beds at the rear over a garage. The A class is only 270mm longer but looks so much bigger inside and out and has so much more usable space.

Early days yet but we already think we have made the right decision.

OP
OP
F

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Many Thanks for all your replies. I must admit, I had a bit of an issue with the look of A class- maybe it was all that window/windscreen, would I feel like I was in a goldfish bowl? However, I finally understand the panoramic view etc..after yet another trip today to a local-ish dealer. we are even re-considering layouts.

Judgemental asked for more info on us...fair point. We hope to use the MH year round, certainly not just for the Summer months, and Winterisation is on the wish list. I have also heard from elsewhere that A class provide better insulation in the cab area. I can see the budget being tweaked a bit...;)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I really don't like A class, they look to much like a mini bus for me.
I don't think driving them would be an issue and they do have more room at the front.
But I don't like not having a drivers door, but hey - each to their own.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
View attachment 85541
I have the 65HFL, lovely van to drive and with the drop down bed at the front and French bed in rear plus very good size garage all below 7mtrs get around 28mpg from 150bhp fiat

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our last van was a low profile Hymer current van is an A Class Hymer, having the A Class has convinced us we will never want any other type of van.
We find the A Class very quiet on the road due to the fully insulated front end, great view of the road much more relaxing to drive, much easier to reverse with the sides being flat for the full length.
Much warmer than the coachbuilt feels and is more spacious, when driving in hot climates despite the large glass area it is cooler as you are sitting much further away from the glass.
@Stealaway said doesn't like not having a drivers door, ones that don't have a drivers door, it is normally on the options list usually in a pack you wouldn't buy the van without, I have only ever seen the odd modern van without a drivers door.

As you are planning to use the van all year round an A Class is the best option, if you specify the winter pack it usually includes double glazed cab side windows, latest Hymers even offer heated seats & heated front screen.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I agree with almost everything Lenny says. However you will rarely see a RHD A class with a driver's door. Most have a passenger's door though!

Having said that I do not miss my driver's door at all. In fact we have rarely used the passenger's door either in the few weeks we have had the van. I find it much easier to use the habitation door with its electric step when I want to get out to fill up etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back