I'm coming round to the 'Drive thru France' to Spain idea..... (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Having just checked the ferry prices for January I am beginning to think that going via Calais instead of Bilbao is not such a daft idea :rolleyes:

The saving once the cost of diesel is taken into account is approx £200 one way :eek:

Does the panel (hehe, I know you're all out there:whistle:) have any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers

:xgrin:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Have just booked the ferry to Santander for the first time - am dreading it but hubby insists we try it. Think I may have to overdose on Sturgeron.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
image.jpeg

After our near death experience on the Hirtshals to Bergen ferry we vowed no more long ferry crossings

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I enjoy motorhoming... this includes driving slowly through new places, or meandering along familar roads, stopping off whenever or wherever the mood takes me.

I do not enjoy wallowing about on a sick inducing and expensive sea voyage.

Roads are for motorhomers... the seas are for sailors.

JJ :xcool:

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I live in the North East of England and Calais is my preferred route, did Plymouth - Santander one year, never again. :)

Once was enough for us as well many years ago......Much prefer to drive! Not as if you save any time. Chock's you can have a break on the way down in London at our place if you like..only 1.5 hrs from tunnel:)

Last edited:

Deleted User
We're going mid January and will be driving through France.

Have yet to decide whether to go into Northern Spain (Somport) or drive down to Perpignan and go via Barcelona.

Definitely won't be doing Biscay :sicker::sicker:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't like ferry crossings much anyway, not even the relatively short English Channel ones as it is like being held captive (fortunately I don't get sea sick), so much prefer the tunnel. There's no way I'd go on a long crossing especially in winter with the high possibility of very rough seas/weather! Even in summer I wouldn't do it.

We went to Spain/Portugal earlier this year and drove down, taking our time and enjoyed the journey as part of our holiday, we could have done it much quicker but didn't feel the need. I can see the slight appeal of not having to drive and being able to slob around on a ferry for the day instead, but give me the driving, and scenery, anyday!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Done it once in the motorhome 8 years ago once in a 4x4 5 years ago and once on the motorbike one month ago. Every trip was horrible too long too expensive and bloody boring that's without a rough sea.
Will be doing it again in April on the motorbike but will probably never do it again in the motorhome really defeats the point of having a motorhome if you're gonna sit on a ferry.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We're going mid January and will be driving through France.

Have yet to decide whether to go into Northern Spain (Somport) or drive down to Perpignan and go via Barcelona.

Definitely won't be doing Biscay :sicker::sicker:

At that time of the year I would recommend the Narbonne/Perpignan route thus avoiding high altitude & snow :)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Having just checked the ferry prices for January I am beginning to think that going via Calais instead of Bilbao is not such a daft idea :rolleyes:

The saving once the cost of diesel is taken into account is approx £200 one way :eek:

Does the panel (hehe, I know you're all out there:whistle:) have any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers

The only drawback with that is there are very few French sites open at this time of year - plenty of Aires though :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Never done the long crossing and reading this does nothing to tempt me, we also live in the North East and will do the ferry from Hull or Newcastle and then drive down France done it twice so far and see no reason not to do it again.

Martin

Deleted User
At that time of the year I would recommend the Narbonne/Perpignan route thus avoiding high altitude & snow :)

Yes, I'm going to keep and eye on the weather. We've had some interesting trips down the A75 in winter (always been passable though), but the Perpignan - Le Boulou bit through to Barcelona has alway been ok.

Were thinking Limoges - Toulouse - Carcassonne as an alternative to the A75 this time. I'll be keeping em peeled after Chrimbo :xgrin:

Never done Somport - but will decide nearer time (beauty of MH'ing :))

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Yes, I'm going to keep and eye on the weather. We've had some interesting trips down the A75 in winter (always been passable though), but the Perpignan - Le Boulou bit through to Barcelona has alway been ok.

Were thinking Limoges - Toulouse - Carcassonne as an alternative to the A75 this time. I'll be keeping em peeled after Chrimbo :xgrin:

We would chose the Somport tunnel from Limoges via Bordeaux/Dax as a break from the motorway routes, check the forecast on route. It is kept open all year round, to be fair we only use it in winter.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We did the Portsmouth to Bilbao route for the first time just a few weeks ago. We were expecting it to be pretty bad due to gales in the English Channel but we were pleasantly surprised by how comparatively smooth it was in the end.

We normally drive down through France taking our time and thoroughly enjoying the trip but I have to say that we were very pleased with this alternative when wanting to make a quicker journey with less driving. As for cost, I think works out about the same if you way it all up including the wear and tare on the vehicle. It cost us about £300 with outside cabin.

The toll road from Bilbao via Zaragozza is also excellent and cost about 38 euro to Benidorm in total.

So yes, we would do it again.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I enjoy the driving, it's why I have a Motorhome ... Plus on a cost basis the drive via France always works out better for me. Ref time at most it's an extra 24 - 36 hours overall but time is not an issue for us so no problem there..
When the fuel goes up or euro exchange is bad you maybe have to re-calculate the costs..
Free aires and non toll roads all add for an interesting journey.
Weather is the main thing to watch for, had some horrible trips but also some very pleasant ones during Nov - Feb.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We're off week on Thursday heading for Perpignan then meander along coast for three or four months love the trip enjoy driving.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I love being at sea, rough or calm, but I have to agree with JJ on this one. If it is a smooth crossing you only have water to look at as opposed to beautiful countryside, stop and look at a new village or a different coffee shop.

If it is a foul crossing then there is no contest. Of course if time is vitally important then the longer sea voyage will save time overall but not for me thanks.

Reactions: JJ
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006

As a tight northerner (now resident in Norfolk) I appreciate your concerns.

HOWEVER, my son decided to get engaged on 31st Dec 2008 but I needed to be in Marbella on 6th Jan 2009: I had to be there to support him. The thought of 1500 miles of driving (in a car), plus a Channel crossing, was not one that I relished.

I had to balance the costs of driving and staying in several hotels against the more expensive sea route and the possibilities of what the Bay of Biscay could throw at us. We opted for Portsmouth to Bilboa with P&O (no longer available), joining the ferry at teatime on 2nd Jan and disembarking at breakfast on 4th Jan, making the cruise part of the pleasure of travelling. We opted for a cabin upgrade and treated ourselves to lovely meals, with wine and no worries about the police. The crossing was as smooth as a millpond and we relaxed on board, reading, whale-watching and chatting with others, including several MHers.

As we rose from the coast the temp dropped below -3deg and we had a long hard haul through mist and spray to Madrid, then on to Jaen (470miles). We completed the journey to Marbella just after lunch on 6th, cresting the hills above Malaga and enjoying wonderful Mediterranean sunshine.

We are sure we made the right decision. Only you know your circumstances and the parameters in which you have to work.

Enjoy the journey, whatever you do - Gordon

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Cheers

I'm with you... It's not the cost saving influencing my decision though it's the possibility of a rough long crossing.
We will look at the weather just to make sure we have a reasonable chance of making it down to the ferry port and of course down through France the just pack up and drive....

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Well personally I have decided I am not driving through France in winter, potentially driving on ice and snow and getting the van loaded with liquid salt and road crap and getting cold......so booked the ferry option.
Having looked at the displacement of the 'budget' ferry vs the 'cruise' ferry I paid the extra for the cruise and the extra tonnage and hopefully more modern stabilisers!!!

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
upload_2015-12-8_19-54-39.png

Above is result of some calc`s recently done. SWMBO had suggested Flying to Spain for a break. (Benidorm actually) So I ran down some figures.

Interesting exercise in that you can have Twice as long for a lot less per day!.

Pete

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-8_19-50-40.png
    upload_2015-12-8_19-50-40.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 23
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
View attachment 85512

Above is result of some calc`s recently done. SWMBO had suggested Flying to Spain for a break. (Benidorm actually) So I ran down some figures.

Interesting exercise in that you can have Twice as long for a lot less per day!.

Pete
If you add in the flexibility of a hire car that will make it more expensive ???

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

came back somport last spring..its a real good route IMO.... weather permitting obviously

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
long ferry Not an option for us..... If the ship sank it would be "a mercy killing"! as for as SWMBO is concerned

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Did the 2 night Portsmouth to Bilbao, arrived at 7am and at Villasol by 5.30. Great for us as we are less than 2 hours from Portsmouth. Will definitely do the same next year. There really is no one size fits all, if we lived near Dover then we would probably do the drive through France. If you are bad sailors then the long crossing would be hell and you might not be fit to drive. Read the different views and then decide what suits you.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We would chose the Somport tunnel from Limoges via Bordeaux/Dax as a break from the motorway routes, check the forecast on route. It is kept open all year round, to be fair we only use it in winter.

Spring/summer on a sunny day on the French side is stunning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back