Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
Hi Travellers
Off through Tunnel on Boxing Day and then down to Spain. :clap2:
Hoping to stop at: Chateaudun, Roullet st Estephe, then around the border area, before going over to Zaragoza-Valencia.
Have read some poor reports about Biarritz and Hendaye Plage Aires. Expensive, dirty, noisy, etc.
So looking at St Jean de Luz, but looks very near railway so maybe noisy.
Any thoughts on best Aire in this area.
Thanks
Graham :xcool:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Stayed at Ondres Plage 2 years ago, just a bit North of Biarritz............ it was fine (y) Also the Col D'Ibardin in the border with Spain is a laugh :)

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Hi Graham

I’ve stopped at St Jean once free water and electric if you can beat the French to a power point, anyway I prefer to stop 7 miles further on at Behobia near Irun which is right on the border, there are no services but it’s safe and you will have a good nights rest.

There are plenty of shops and a restaurant if you so require, it is a pay and display car park which is free from 7pm until 9am, I generally arrive around 4pm or so and buy a 2euro ticket which lasts until 10am.

You will see many other campers stopping for duty free goods and some stay the night, I’ve used this stop over twenty times, you may see police road blocks on the rounder about by the garage but don’t be concerned it is only spot checks.

Here are the coordinates W1.45’35.51” N43.20’36.18” N43.343586 W1.759868.

I have a spread sheet with lost of safe stops that I use twice a year so if you would like a cop send me PM with your email address and I will get one off to you.

Regards

Ray

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWG

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
Wow what brilliant responses. I love this site, many thanks.
Ray will Pm you, thanks.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
At the moment sitting at Ondres Plage, only six of us and still plenty of room.
Definitely our preferred stop in this area - but today it's raining although tomorrow the sun will be out - I hope the weather man is right.

PS If you go to my site www.wildcamping.moonfruit.com and have a look at the recommended aires you will see a few recommendations I have picked up over the years.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I have a spread sheet with lost of safe stops that I use twice a year so if you would like a cop send me PM with your email address and I will get one off to you.

Regards

Ray

Nice one. I'd like a copy if possible but don't know how to pm you....

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
St John de Luz Aires is very small - we got there at mid day and got the last spot, right next to the railway, but can't say we noticed as we only stayed for a couple of hours to have lunch and look around St John which is lovely.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Nice one. I'd like a copy if possible but don't know how to pm you....
Go to blue bar at top & hover over your name . A drop down will appear ,go to"conversations " click on it, when box opens click on "Start new conversation " then put in name of who it is going to .; fill in message & send.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have used St Jean de Luz and yes it is very close to the railway but they might stop overnight as we slept like logs (or were we gassed).

We now stop at San Sebastián as there is plenty of room and a nice town for a walk around if you want a day off before moving on.

Martin

Reactions: GWG
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
And nice Tapas in San Sab (y)

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Ondres Plage much better as St Jean very noisy from trains up to about 11pm. Also tight if over 7 1/2 Mtrs

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There are 3 aires in the Biarritz area, although maybe not all open this time of the year. The least pleasant is Avenue de Milady. The best is Anglet. The third one is at La Barre near the mouth of the River Adour.

At Hendaye there's a smallish aire close to a small station - not ideal but less noisy than St Jean de Lutz.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I haven't read all replies but my memory of St John De lutz is that its very narrow not suitable for large units and tight up against the main railway track! Give it a miss and go further south .

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
You could take the quieter route N134 and overnight at Oloron St Marie then through the Somport tunnel and joint the N330 to Zaragoza.
We have never not been able to get a place at Oloron though the entrance is tight (big vans still manage to get in).
Or, if you are feeling a bit more adventurous go on the D934 and overnight at Laruns then over the mountains at Frontera del Portalet. This road will eventually rejoin the N330 at Sabinanigo.
Taking this route is quieter and the countryside is spectacular . We have stopped for breakfast on the border between France and Spain - see my aires

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hondarribia as well as San Seb gets my boat floating.
Agree with Hondarribia, nice area and town and quick access to the Pamplona road.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
[QUOTE="ojibway, Or, if you are feeling a bit more adventurous go on the D934 and overnight at Laruns then over the mountains at Frontera del Portalet. This road will eventually rejoin the N330 at Sabinanigo.
Taking this route is quieter and the countryside is spectacular . We have stopped for breakfast on the border between France and Spain - see my aires[/QUOTE]

We took this route coming back from Spain in April this year, very scenic and still lots of snow higher up. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back