Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
Hi all

About to sort out insurance for a new van BUT I had a knock in our last van earlier this year. I had protected NCD so my query is - do I have to declare the accident when I get new quotes ??
Cheers
Dave and Lorraine

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I would think so. Protected ncd is only to stop you paying more on renewal. A claim is a claim. Just don't pay for it.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've declared a no blame claim on a car in the past and it comes up on the quote, and subsequent docs, as just that. Doesn't add to the premium.

OP
OP
MannClan

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
ok that's what I thought and I am sure that the insurance company will confirm it - just thought I would see what the world thought.
thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes you DO have to declare it, including any 'not your fault' claims too and those where no one was to blame such as a cracked windscreen repair or replacement windscreen. Basically ANY vehicle claim, including those on any other vehicles for any drivers named on the policy.

Some companies go back 5 years, some only 3.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My last quote asked me if I had made a claim fault or otherwise!! so all claims must be reported then as the others have stated above. The only time I have not mentioned a claim is when I was asked if I had made a motor claim in the last 5 years and I hadn't but I had made a claim on my folding Camper. With the same insurance company. But it wasn't a motor claim.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've declared a no blame claim on a car in the past and it comes up on the quote, and subsequent docs, as just that. Doesn't add to the premium.

Same here for car (someone ran into me) and van (storm damage). Didn't affect premium on either but the claims do have to be declared.

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
We had a vehicle stolen so replaced it, smaller engined vehicle. On renewal premium went up quite a bit, queried it with insurer they said you had a claim. Yes I said but NCD was protected. Insurers said yes you still have same % no claims but your premium is worked out on vehicle and claim then % no claims deducted. So for me NCD seems a waste of time. Not sure if that is how it is suppose to work but that's what they told me. That was over 5 years ago so no need to declair it now but we always did when we had to on all our 3 policies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
NCD doesn't always make a massive amount of difference when taking out insurance so it's worth seeing what the cost would be if you didn't pay extra to protect it on a low cost insurance policy as sometimes you'll be better off NOT protecting it, even taking into account if you had to make a claim it can still work out cheaper NOT to pay to protect it!

When I was doing quotes for our Smart cars I tried 0 years, 2 years and 7 years, and it only made a few £ difference overall!

The NCD discount doesn't mean your insurance premium won't rise if you make it claim, it just means that the NCD discount percentage will remain the same. Eg a £400 premium which has a 50% protected discount applied would actually cost £200, if, the following year due to a claim, the premium went up to £450, the protected NCD discount of 50% would still be applied bringing the cost down to £225 ... only £25 in it ... the initial protection for the NCD could easily have cost more than this.

The other thing to bear in mind is that if you don't protect your NCD and have to make a claim you don't lose it all, just a part, so a 50% one may drop to 40%.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...iscount-worse-average--unless-claim-year.html

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back