Trauma heater exploaded last night, need advise! (1 Viewer)

Misunderstood

Free Member
Dec 7, 2015
Brussels
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
7 months
Hi, I'm over in brussels parked near a media market and carrefour, I tried turning on my trauma heater pushing down the knob while activivating the click sparks it simply exploaded!, I opened it up and looked at it and noticed a tin tube came out, the little window to see if it started is cracked, the sound was so loud I was sure the butain tank was what exploaded, it even smelled like firecrackers or sort of gunpowder aft it took place, however after inspecting the outside environment I found not one single trace of even a scratch inside or outside the butain locker or it's door, I looked under the motorhome and still found no trace of an explosion, my guess is that I held the knob down a while or allot of gas was sitting in that compartment when I sparked up the trauma to start it and bloom!

Please do share if anyone knows who I can ask to have a look at it in brussels, I can speak French a bit but I have no clue where to start looking besides google which requires me to head into a shop for wifi.

Cheers

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Have a look on their website, I have dealt with them a couple of times and always found them very helpful. Put in your country and search for a service centre.
Broken Link Removed
Allan

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
my guess is that I held the knob down a while or allot of gas was sitting in that compartment when I sparked up the trauma to start it and bloom!
Yes that sounds exactly like what happened, probably nothing to worry about, it can make quite a bang when the gas is in a confined space surounded by thin sheet metal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
I had this happen on one of my M/H, I had a tank fitted in Portugal,turned out ,not the correct one,we had filled it,used the heating the night before,bit cold in the morning,switched on and boom!!!,blew the cap off the outside lots of pieces.
Heater lpg runs on Vapour,when turned off turned a small amount into liquid,this caused the boom,expands when cold!!!
Heater was stripped,but no real damage done,but had to be checked.

I am not saying you have the same problem,!!!!
Do you have a fitted tank,or bottles????
Would advice you have it checked out as soon as possible,if vapour turns to liquid for what ever reason??? This could be the fault.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Wow!

That is a real Truma trauma!!:(

I should get the system checked out by a certified pro ASAP.

OP
OP
M

Misunderstood

Free Member
Dec 7, 2015
Brussels
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
7 months
Have a look on their website, I have dealt with them a couple of times and always found them very helpful. Put in your country and search for a service centre.
Broken Link Removed
Allan
Thank you for the link, sadly I'm still having problems speaking to anyone of the French trauma partners, like in france they argue about the motorhome you have, it's make, and worse,they want my license plate number at jmlvbv which is the closest to brussels, instead of the guy asking me the model trauma and what happened he spent 25 minutes of my prepaid Belgium phone card behaving like a xenophobe Gestapo wanting all this info and arguing that we have to make an appointment next week to see it and I have to leave it for a few days with him, ofcourse he said this aft he asked me if I am traveling, adding that he knows a campsite I can pay 50€ per day to rent.

I'll keep calling around, hope it's not cold

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I remember blowing myself up once. I think the pilot had gone out on our home boiler, which it sometimes did in high winds, I pressed the start button, got the piece of newspaper lit and stuffed it in. Everything shook. But second go, after I recovered, it lit. I just held the start button in too long and the boiler filled with gas.

OP
OP
M

Misunderstood

Free Member
Dec 7, 2015
Brussels
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
7 months
I remember blowing myself up once. I think the pilot had gone out on our home boiler, which it sometimes did in high winds, I pressed the start button, got the piece of newspaper lit and stuffed it in. Everything shook. But second go, after I recovered, it lit. I just held the start button in too long and the boiler filled with gas.
It's what had to of happened, I was distracted and sometimes hold the button for several seconds, maybe I did it for 7, we just replaced the 11kl bottle so maybe it provides more then the older one.

As of now I have not found anyone to help, no service, atleast available in brussels, I have to drive a bit to get to a place in the east or head towards netherlands, I have bad luck with french, I can speak it but everyone I call looks for every reason to avoid doing anything for a living, it's gotten to the point where I get yelled at about something gone wrong as if it's my problem instead of just saying they can't look at it or know whAt to do, not my imagination either,

Atleast 4 places I called that spoke French either argued about something not related to the problem just to argue as a excuse to avoid servicing it or simply told me they don't want to service and have too many things to do, I decided to just drop by one pretending I was asking for someone else, the so called master mechanic camping car black belt claimed he can fix this by simply replacing the part withing minutes but when I asked him if he would do it to mine he started making excuses like it's out of warranty. I will have to pay over 75€ an hour, it's better I come duri the morning next week because he is not sure he has the part, then finally suggested I go elsewhere.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
I had the same thing happen to me sometime ago, it blow the top cowl of the roof of may van.
Had it cheaked out but found nothing.
Good Luck & Welcome aboard;)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004

Was your face black and did your hair stand on end Brian.

John.

OP
OP
M

Misunderstood

Free Member
Dec 7, 2015
Brussels
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
7 months
I had the nerve to try lighting up the trauma again a few minutes ago, the flame went on yellow then off, tried again and again and it still refused to get on with it :( , maybe gas is escaping from what looks like a crack, I'll share a photo later or tomorrow when I get around to it, I using wifi at mcdonalds, it's COLD tonight!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back