12 volt converter for my Hymer (1 Viewer)

reynardracer

Free Member
Aug 10, 2015
Twyford
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
I recently bought a 2000 Hymer with a 12 volt outlet which connected to an outdated satellite TV system. I have removed this TV and replaced it with a new 12 volt/240 volt TV. Main issue is that the 12 volt plug on the new TV is different to the one in the Hymer. Is it possible to get a plug converter or do I have to replace the plug in the van or the plug on the TV lead.

Many thanks
Peter

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Or you can buy a converter, as I did.
Broken Link Removed

yes indeed ..

but good electrical practice is to have as few as possible plugs and or connectors in a circuit.. because every joint or connector you introduce is another place for a fault to develop... also another place for potential high resistance, resulting in heat build up and loss of voltage

would only use or suggest if there were no other option..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree with Jim, the sockets on those adaptors are diabolical, plugs work loose in them and arc, I nearly had a fire with one.
The standard fit 12v socket in my Hymer is just as bad, I don't use it and fitted a Hella socket, much safer.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
yes indeed ..

but good electrical practice is to have as few as possible plugs and or connectors in a circuit.. because every joint or connector you introduce is another place for a fault to develop... also another place for potential high resistance, resulting in heat build up and loss of voltage

would only use or suggest if there were no other option..
Well I knew this would come. I just wondered how long it would take and who it would be :) I agree the din plugs and sockets are generally far better quality than the usual cigarette lighter type fittings but so many 12v accessories such as phone chargers now have built in plugs to suit a cigarette lighter socket. My main gripe with the aftermarket cigarette type sockets is that they usually have puny wires and won't carry the amperage needed for many accessories.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Well I knew this would come. I just wondered how long it would take and who it would be :) I agree the din plugs and sockets are generally far better quality than the usual cigarette lighter type fittings but so many 12v accessories such as phone chargers now have built in plugs to suit a cigarette lighter socket. My main gripe with the aftermarket cigarette type sockets is that they usually have puny wires and won't carry the amperage needed for many accessories.

Which is why I don't buy the every day aftermarket sockets but buy the better ones. Cigarette type may not be the best but like betamax the hella system is probably doomed for the reasons you give. Equally I try to only use fused plugs with appropriate wiring where possible

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
There are plenty of better quality cigar lighter sockets and plugs available.

We use a German-made 20A rated socket with a similarly rated plug, and there are also these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321135571062

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I recently bought a 2000 Hymer with a 12 volt outlet which connected to an outdated satellite TV system. I have removed this TV and replaced it with a new 12 volt/240 volt TV. Main issue is that the 12 volt plug on the new TV is different to the one in the Hymer. Is it possible to get a plug converter or do I have to replace the plug in the van or the plug on the TV lead.

Many thanks
Peter
I presume that you have made sure that the 12volt supply 'in' is for 12volt DC as there are TV's out there that use 12volt-----19volt AC current

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.