Got it covered.....almost! (1 Viewer)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
After all these years both tugging and chuggin I have finally bought myself a cover for the MH today. Fed up with the Somerset Starlings using the van as bomb aiming practice!! Also a great deal on eBay, bidded three times (against myself it turns out!) and got it for £30....picked it up from Street, just down the road!! Looks to be almost new too!!
As a newby to this cover up lark I have a couple of questions before I try it out.
Do these covers need to be put on in any particular way?, do you use polls to help move them across the van?. Do they cause any damage to the van through flapping in the wind etc.
Any tips or hints will be appreciated.
Many thanks. Pete.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We bought one when we had a caravan.

The seller told us to make sure the van was clean before using it, otherwise we'd risk scratches. Ours didn't come with poles but found we couldn't physically get the cover on. We ended up using a couple of washing line props, a set of steps and the caravan step. Not sure how big yours is but the actual handling of the cover itself was an artform, trying to keep it off the floor so it didn't pick any bits of grit up. Oh that and the slightest bit of wind and it was like a parachute:xeek:. We never even used to attempt it if the wind was in certain directions.

Our van was kept in storage and the number of times we went up and covers were flapping around because they were too big and/or not secured properly was surprising. I imagine that could cause damage to the paintwork:(. Always used to learn new words when putting it on:swear2:.......which is where Figaro's comment comes in - see above:giggler:

Bet you can tell we didn't use it much in the end as we used the van all year and it was too much hassle for us. If we had the van at home we might have persevered.

Good luck, let us know how you go on.

@Old Soldier

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
As Debs has pointed out make sure the van is thoroughly cleaned before you put the cover on and preferably waxed as well. Otherwise you will be spending lots of time in the Spring rectifying the damage. When the cover is on make sure it's secured nice and tight as any movement will cause damage. During the winter open up your van several times to get fresh air into it as despite the descriptions no cover will let air circulate which in turn means damp air forming algae on most surfaces.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We bought a caravan many years ago that came with a brand new unused cover. We tried to put it on once!
Sold the van a year or so later, still with a brand new unused cover!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We had one on our first motorhome. The wind was so strong it ripped it from its secure lines. Mum tried to hang onto it and it took her away like a kite. She ended up wrapped up in it in the next driveway.

Would never buy another as long as the MH is kept at home.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Mmmmmmm, beginning to think I was right in not having one for all those years!! Thanks for the comments so far. As for videoing, that's my hobby so perhaps I should try capturing the "fun" with a head cam, you might hear how quickly I pick up the new language then.!:swear2:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Best sution is for you to get out n about in the MH then you wont have time to want to put the cover on.:)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Any tips or hints will be appreciated
As other advice .... clean m/h, keep cover tight to avoid damage to bodywork and windows and remember to check inside the van every few days.
I fitted our cover and went back in m/h after less than a week to find every interior surface running with condensation .. hate to think what it would have been like after a month .. and that is with an expensive well known brand of cover advertised as "breathable".

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Best sution is for you to get out n about in the MH then you wont have time to want to put the cover on.:)
We already do that as much as we can, but circumstances and family dictate we need to be home some of the time.
The real issue is the number of starlings that use the farm opposite, don't get me wrong, we love seeing them and living here too!!

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
As other advice .... clean m/h, keep cover tight to avoid damage to bodywork and windows and remember to check inside the van every few days.
I fitted our cover and went back in m/h after less than a week to find every interior surface running with condensation .. hate to think what it would have been like after a month .. and that is with an expensive well known brand of cover advertised as "breathable".

Ohhh, looking grim! Anyone want to buy a motorhome cover, in good condition!!:xrofl:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
After reading this I cannot help thinking what I've seen recently on Spanish campsites, caravans obviously left for the winter strapped up in tarpaulin and yards and yards of clingfilm wrapped tight around the caravan,what on earth they must be like if yours was running with condensation after just a week?

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Anyone out there with something good to say about these covers? Can't all be bad surly, see enough of them in use as you drive around.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Well it seems anyone who has anything good to say has gone under cover...Just bringing it out in the open hoping for a few positive responses.:xThumb:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Recently gave a customer a hand putting a cover on his van, it was a very expensive custom made breathable type. I was extremely amused to read in the instructions "remove cover if extreme weather is forcast, failure to do so will invalidate your warranty" What is the point in having a cover if you have to take it off when it rains and blows hard???

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Anyone out there with something good to say about these covers?

Cut up appropriately they make good covers for Garden Furniture and Push Bikes..........

And great if you have had a load of sand delivered.... stops the rain from washing it away.... :xThumb:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We also have a lot of birds around who like to use our motorhome as target practise! Have tried various makes of covers on caravans over many years & now on our motorhome. Best we have found is the breatheable 4 ply cover by Maypole http://www.maypole.ltd.uk/Motorhome-Covers_56719 & wouldn't be without one now. It is important for it to fit well so no chance of movement or rubbing which the Maypole one does well with an elasticated bottom & tensioned straps. The 4 ply breatheabilty means no layer of green slime on the roof after storage (had this with a Tyvek waterproof cover :() & can be put on a wet just washed motorhome(y) It's a good idea to always put it on a clean motorhome so no risk of dust or grit to cause scratches. After being under the Maypole cover last winter we didn't even have to wash our motorhome off before our first rally in the spring. They are a bit ungainly to handle & need two of you to lift onto the roof (use brushes or washing line props) then just pull it along which is easy then zip & strap up.
Never had any damp problems (plenty of vents in our Chausson) using a breatheable cover & it slows down the ageing of the shell of the motorhome too especially the plastic bits. Ours is two years old & keep getting asked if it is new:) Another good idea is for any wheels in direct sunlight to use these covers too to protect your tyres see http://www.maypole.ltd.uk/MP93680-MOTORHOME-WHEEL-COVER_88655-15833 - make sure you choose the motorhome version as the caravan ones are probably too small for most motorhome wheels. However if we could be out & about using it more often that would be even better than it being covered on the drive. A garage big enough to drive the motorhome into would be ideal so ready to go whenever the mood takes us - well we can dream...
This is how ours will be until the Spring:

_57-jpg.77925

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We also have a lot of birds around who like to use our motorhome as target practise! Have tried various makes of covers on caravans over many years & now on our motorhome. Best we have found is the breatheable 4 ply cover by Maypole http://www.maypole.ltd.uk/Motorhome-Covers_56719 & wouldn't be without one now. It is important for it to fit well so no chance of movement or rubbing which the Maypole one does well with an elasticated bottom & tensioned straps. The 4 ply breatheabilty means no layer of green slime on the roof after storage (had this with a Tyvek waterproof cover :() & can be put on a wet just washed motorhome(y) It's a good idea to always put it on a clean motorhome so no risk of dust or grit to cause scratches. After being under the Maypole cover last winter we didn't even have to wash our motorhome off before our first rally in the spring. They are a bit ungainly to handle & need two of you to lift onto the roof (use brushes or washing line props) then just pull it along which is easy then zip & strap up.
Never had any damp problems (plenty of vents in our Chausson) using a breatheable cover & it slows down the ageing of the shell of the motorhome too especially the plastic bits. Ours is two years old & keep getting asked if it is new:) Another good idea is for any wheels in direct sunlight to use these covers too to protect your tyres see http://www.maypole.ltd.uk/MP93680-MOTORHOME-WHEEL-COVER_88655-15833 - make sure you choose the motorhome version as the caravan ones are probably too small for most motorhome wheels. However if we could be out & about using it more often that would be even better than it being covered on the drive. A garage big enough to drive the motorhome into would be ideal so ready to go whenever the mood takes us - well we can dream...
This is how ours will be until the Spring:

_57-jpg.77925

Thanks so much for this. We normally use the van every couple of weeks or so even if it is just for day trips. I guess the use of the cover will depend on how difficult it is to put on and take off on a regular basis. I have not taken it out of the bag yet so not sure of the make. Where in Somerset are you, perhaps I can persuade our Starlings to go and meet yours!! I gather Charlie Drake use to live down this way, he was always heard to say "Hello my starlings".....

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Where in Somerset are you, perhaps I can persuade our Starlings to go and meet yours!!
We are on the Levels not far from you so could be the same birds!
Have to admit that we don't put the cover on if a short time between rallies but definitely worth it for longer periods as time & effort taken are much less than having to keep washing it off.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Thanks so much for this. We normally use the van every couple of weeks or so even if it is just for day trips. I guess the use of the cover will depend on how difficult it is to put on and take off on a regular basis. I have not taken it out of the bag yet so not sure of the make. Where in Somerset are you, perhaps I can persuade our Starlings to go and meet yours!! I gather Charlie Drake use to live down this way, he was always heard to say "Hello my starlings".....

Same birds indeed!!
As a matter of entertainment, I don't normally like threads being hi-jacked (however this is my own!!!) but after posting that clip of Charlie Drake, I went on to watch his 1812 concert that follows it... Have a look for yourselves and stay with it. Lovely to see that type of clean funny humour again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back