Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Inverness
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Hi All
Just read a thread by Elvis about fitting a Rail on his van and I'm about to do the same . When we used the MOVELITE XL awning last year I was never happy with the straps over the roof way of fixing it so we have decided to try an awning rail . The problem I have is deciding what height to fit it at , the van is about 2.9 mtrs in height.If I fit it at about 2.8 mtrs this will miss the door opening by plenty but it will give me the problem of reaching it to feed it through , has anyone got a MOVELITE XL and what height approx is your awning rail at ? Any information would be most welcome :thumb:
regards sf

skylark_irl

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Hi Shorty!

I have a Movelite XL on a 2000 Dethleffs. However, I have a Fiamma 45i with a channel for the figure of 8 strip to slot into. By rolling out the awning I can easily insert the tape into the slot.

We would need to fit a rail at 2.9 m or higher to miss the door, so our solution is preferable. Sorry I can't be of more help, but it does sound like you have a problem.

If you added enough rail and bent it so it started somewhere low enough to reach, could you perhaps start the insert lower down, and then slide it up using a pole or something like that?

Michael

OP
OP
S

shortfuse

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Inverness
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Many thanks for that Michael I will get to a caravan shop as soon as poss and see how easy it is to "bend" into shape ( most likely get thrown out , again )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just measured the hight of our fiamma awning and its 2.4 metres from ground to awning slot.

i used ours for the first time the other week and had to use the strap's which i didnt like either so just bought a driveaway kit.

ours could be too low for the door to open without rubbing on it but i can live with it if it means doing away with the straps:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I fitted an awing rail for the Movelite XL as didn't like the over roof straps .. it's about 3mt high and i use a step ladder to feed it on. .. the door just clears it ..

Link Removed

OP
OP
S

shortfuse

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Inverness
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Many thanks for the sizes Pappa J ,this will give me something to go on .

Have you had any problem with any sites regarding the width ? our overall width , van plus awning , is about 7.0 mtrs and on the few C&CC sites I've been on it was pointed out that I will always have to get in touch first before booking ,dread to think what the CC will say :Sad: regards sf

OP
OP
S

shortfuse

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Inverness
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Thanks Jim , I was thinking earlier about some way of extending the little two step ladder we use for the door and thought it might be a wee bit shoogley but as I only use the awning when the family come along I can always let them fit it or they can sleep below the van::bigsmile:
best wishes sf

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many thanks for the sizes Pappa J ,this will give me something to go on .

Have you had any problem with any sites regarding the width ? our overall width , van plus awning , is about 7.0 mtrs and on the few C&CC sites I've been on it was pointed out that I will always have to get in touch first before booking ,dread to think what the CC will say :Sad: regards sf

used it for the first time at haganaps bring and buy meet.....

the size did suprise me though....very close to the next van across.....whoever that was, my apologies:Blush:

OP
OP
S

shortfuse

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Inverness
Funster No
MH
C
Exp

used it for the first time at haganaps bring and buy meet.....

the size did suprise me though....very close to the next van across.....whoever that was, my apologies:Blush:

When I bought it I thought Van 3.0 mtrs ,awning 3.0mtrs o/a 6.0mtrs ,forgot about the "tunnel" etc:Sad:

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
I fitted an awing rail for the Movelite XL as didn't like the over roof straps .. it's about 3mt high and i use a step ladder to feed it on. .. the door just clears it ..

Link Removed

Thanks Jim

This is a job I will be performing, time permitting with my Royal Blenheim XL awning I tried out for the 1st time at the Stratford meet. Attached it via the existing omnistor awning as a temp measure. Stood up well in the inclement weather we had but not ideal as it allows a gap to exist because of the offset!

Howard

Last edited:

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
fixing kit

I must say, I still prefer the fixing kit with fig 8 than nailing anything to the MH ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back