Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Last year we visited Italy for the first time and travelled round the north visiting Lake Garda, Pisa, Florence etc. We have decided to return to Italy in April 2016 and busy trying to plan a route. After reading lots of information on this site we realise we need to keep to motorways where possible. We are thinking of travelling down east coast visiting San Marino, Rimini etc and then over to Rome, Pompei, Sorrento etc and then on to Sardinia. We would really appreciate any advice on routes and campsites as it is only our 2nd trip to Europe.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Last year we visited Italy

Hmmm ! not many going to Italy ? I am doing your last year trip in May/Jun/Jul starting off with some time at Annecy (chillout), Chamonix(golf) , Aosta valley, to Garda.(opera Verona) Then after Florry and Pisa maybe a bit of a shufty down the Amalfi coast depending on whether it gets too hot or not, may have to beat a retreat ! This is first trip that I won't be booking return ticket (retiral intro trip).
So maybe I could pick your experience, Any must do's and just as important must nots ? Are you going April to avoid heat ?
When did you go and did you prebook the Garda bit ?

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
San Marino, Pompei and Sorrento are a must if you're touring Italy but the roads are horrendous around Pompei and Sorrento (as in narrow, overcrowded is an understatement and full of potholes). I really wouldn't want to take our MH on those roads. If in the MH I'd be looking for a site within commuting distance of the tourist attractions. Sorry I can't recommend one as we were in a much smaller vehicle on our trip last year. There is an aircraft museum near San Marino as you approach it from the coast. This is well worth a visit and we spent most of a day there. There is a good campsite in San Marino but I don't know if they take motorhomes. We rented a lodge, which was really cheap out of season. Again San Marino roads are not the ideal routes for a motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
San Marino, Pompei and Sorrento are a must if you're touring Italy but the roads are horrendous around Pompei and Sorrento (as in narrow, overcrowded is an understatement and full of potholes). I really wouldn't want to take our MH on those roads. If in the MH I'd be looking for a site within commuting distance of the tourist attractions. Sorry I can't recommend one as we were in a much smaller vehicle on our trip last year. There is an aircraft museum near San Marino as you approach it from the coast. This is well worth a visit and we spent most of a day there. There is a good campsite in San Marino but I don't know if they take motorhomes. We rented a lodge, which was really cheap out of season. Again San Marino roads are not the ideal routes for a motorhome.

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
I am going to Italy in April with some friends we will be in southern Lake Garda, If you want advise see this blog by a friend of mine I think he is a member on here Rapide561 http://swift-kontiki.co.uk/

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
There is only one camp site in the main part of Sorrento - getting out of the site is a nightmare if you have a long van, and/or if its been raining as the access ramp is VERY slippery when wet
Sorrento is beautiful and you can take a bus along the Amalfi coast

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hmmm ! not many going to Italy ? I am doing your last year trip in May/Jun/Jul starting off with some time at Annecy (chillout), Chamonix(golf) , Aosta valley, to Garda.(opera Verona) Then after Florry and Pisa maybe a bit of a shufty down the Amalfi coast depending on whether it gets too hot or not, may have to beat a retreat ! This is first trip that I won't be booking return ticket (retiral intro trip).
So maybe I could pick your experience, Any must do's and just as important must nots ? Are you going April to avoid heat ?
When did you go and did you prebook the Garda bit ?
We did lake Garda a few years ago during the school holidays so decided to book 7 days just to make sure we would have somewhere, we ended up arriving 2 days early and tried about 15 sites with no success. In the end we phoned the one we had booked and they had one pitch left. I do think you'll be ok out with school holidays though.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
did lake Garda

Thanks Gerry, Verona for 25th Jun - Aida performance, so we should be heading over to Florence etc before the "kinder troops" invade. I generally hate booking enroute places as that imposes a structure. Have to book the opera performance however, but they don't guarantee the weather for sitting outside !! I am just looking forward to the golf at Chamonix, especially as I am looking out the window at the moment in utter disgust.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
They had a show on when we visited Verona and about 5 minutes into it there was a massive storm. Lovely place though

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Last year we visited Italy for the first time and travelled round the north visiting Lake Garda, Pisa, Florence etc. We have decided to return to Italy in April 2016 and busy trying to plan a route. After reading lots of information on this site we realise we need to keep to motorways where possible. We are thinking of travelling down east coast visiting San Marino, Rimini etc and then over to Rome, Pompei, Sorrento etc and then on to Sardinia. We would really appreciate any advice on routes and campsites as it is only our 2nd trip to Europe.

We're hoping to do a similar trip later this year, spent a lot of time in Italy our favourite European country.
Luckily we carry a 650 Kawasaki in the garage so just find a convenient base to tour from.
We never book or plan just go with the flow use ACSI and Bordatlas to find sites thats it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
San Marino, Rimini etc

Many campsites in Riccioni, next to Rimini and I think the nicer resort. San Marino is lovely but small, not been with a MH but good on a bike.

Sorrento is one of those "perfect" tourist traps. Campsite is a bit difficult but perfectly placed.

I think Herculaneum is better than Pompeii. Dead easy to get to either from Sorrento, excellent Italian trains.

OP
OP
B

BFM14

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry that I have been ignoring this thread but fell out of tree from 20ft and sustained 10 fractures, including shattering my ankle. Lucky to still here. so thinking about going to Italy, with Mary, has been the last thing on my mind. Now up and about thinking of travelling to Italy starting in April. I have this week booked Camping Butterfly for a week in April and in May. They are pretty booked up already. It is going to be the base for going and returning from Italy. We are going to stop at Florence and are thinking of using trains to visit Rome and Pompeii etc. Where would it be safe to leave the motorhome for a couple nights, any suggestions

pollensabob

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7 years
Pozzouli wonderfull Roman Amphitheater plus Campimg Solfotana definitely a must see. Camp site is in situated within geo thermal park hot springs geysers etc. Museum next door to site. Amphitheater walking distance from site.
Bob

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!