Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The Drivers seat of an American RV is IMO the best seat in the world. However many front seat passengers call their seat the Suicide Seat.

There is almost an optical illusion going on, the passenger really has the feeling that they are over the white line, well of course most of the time they are. :winky:

Judge for yourself, as Sian shot some video from her seat on our recent trip from a Rally in Oswestry.
#

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96Qd2LnE0M"]YouTube - The Suicide Seat[/ame]

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oi......dont you know thats breaking the law.......drinking while driving. both hands on the wheel at all times sir.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

and you need a wider drive:Eeek:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Oi......dont you know thats breaking the law.......drinking while driving. both hands on the wheel at all times sir.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

and you need a wider drive:Eeek:

carefull you might just get a red card for a speeding avatar :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
hi Jim....glad i don't sit in the s/side seat,glad I'm the only driver.that was scary

You got a bite yet Dave???Link Removed

Excellent vid Jim/Sian....

I'm still shakin......:thumb:

How's that mirror stay on there?

Last edited:

Pete45

Free Member
Jan 29, 2009
Milton Keynes Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had 2 RV from 2003
Great meeting you last weekend but PLEASE do not do a rally near your place after that I think you would have a poor turn out. :Eeek: Pete & Shirl

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I thought it was bad enough being a passenger in my A class, I always have the habit of breathing in to feel smaller. :ROFLMAO:

Well done Sian, good idea in filming it.

Regards Pat

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The main concern to me was the number of heavies on the narrow roads. Is it all their sat navs fault?

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Nice!

OH OH to the lorry in the middle of the road, that's way more polite than my missus!

Think I'll stick with 'the best seat'.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nice!

OH OH to the lorry in the middle of the road, that's way more polite than my missus!

Think I'll stick with 'the best seat'.

To ensure the video was not banned from youtube; plenty of expletives were deleted from those clips,as anyone who knows Sian will have realised::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just spent a month driving a RHD in France, so the OH experienced the suicide seat for the first time. I did hear a few sharp intakes of breath, but on the whole it wasn't too bad.

What I did appreciate was the ability to be able to get in really close to the French nearside far more accurately than doing the same in the UK.

This advantage proved itself when meeting a bus on a mountain road. We managed to wriggle pass with less than an inch on either side. OH was even able to help by folding in her wing mirror.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Can't understand her concerns Jim you looked totally relaxed to me mate::bigsmile:

Jan doesn't have any worries she's usually asleep after 3 miles.:ROFLMAO:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
My biggest complaint in this Country when I drive a left-hand drive is the street 'furniture' and sign posts being soooo close the the kerb. :whatthe:

Why do the sign-mounters consider it necessary to put the edge of the sign in a vertical line up from the edge of the kerb - haven't they ever heard that wing mirrors are a bit wider than the vehicle. :Eeek:

In Cornwall they have recently started to put islands in the middle of the road to slow down traffic - I don't have a problem with that - but when they put an island in the middle of an 18ft wide road and then put a warning sign bang on the edge of the road opposite the island - it becomes a bit like trying to navigate through the French Peage - hair raising and more often than not the signs bear all the scars of previous encounters with wing mirrors! :Angry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Youve come out Jim:RollEyes:
Your a secret tippy cup drinker:thumb::thumb::thumb:
You were hogging the centre of the road at home JIm
How many more times!!!!!
KEEP LEFT
Fred

Last edited:

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Recognised the route straight away travelled it for 20 years plus down to our Caravan at Cei Bach. You showed the stretch leading to Red Kite Cafe.Yes the roads are narrow with fast moving HGV's.:thumb:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Hi Jim:

Just played it to Gail.

She's gone into relapse - brought back too many memories of the 'We're not going to make it:Eeek:' moments.

She loves our little van.

:Smile:
Keith

Drylander

Free Member
Aug 28, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Hi Jim,

Phew, just tried to tighten my seat belt until I realised I was only watching this safely at home!!

Jim Sire,

On a more serious note are there any DVDs/Videos available on driving a RHD vehicle in traffic on the continent, please?

If there were they would be most useful - we have both driven there before but 'twas many many years ago and then only in fairly light traffic in small hire cars, never in our 23 ft MH.....

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Be interesting to mount a camera on the right hand drivers mirror facing forwards.

owlgirl

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
Funster No
Yes it sure is scary travelling on the right hand side as a passenger, I am terrified
especially when those big lorries come racing along just over our side of the white line.

As we are new to the RV having just bought it I am still in the early stages but after travelling on a narrow road in the hedge bottom and being hit by a bus speeding round the corner on our side of the road !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It not only broke the mirror but the window on the passenger side as well -gee it was lucky no one was hurt.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Jim excellent video I always wondered why my missus has white knuckles !

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
"Oh no, there's sheep in the polytunnel" I shouldn't laugh, but I couldn't help it! ::bigsmile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Well, our baby A class is right-hand drive but I still.... play solitaire on the laptop or do suduko (and I used to hate suduko, is that how it is spelt?) to distract me from 'the view' and I got a sat nav that tells him where to go before I do:ROFLMAO: Jane

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back