skype (1 Viewer)

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Just been having a look at this alternative to BT, I see there is a few skyper's on here, so any tips and advice would be appreciated.

also seems to be several credit options, not sure if PAYG is better than the monthly?

Did read a thread where Jim had a £1 95 mthly one ;but don't see that maybe they have increased their prices, are these a yearly contract?

Regards

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi it seems to gone up a quid over the last six months. Its still great value though:Smile:

Link Removed

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just looking and they seem to have taken the free landline number out of the contract. Now as a subscriber you only get 50% off rather than have it thrown in gratis.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Thanks for your response Jim even with the inc and 50% on the landline number still cheap.

Is your mthly subsciption a yearly contract?

Was also looking at this as another option ;but that lacks the features of skype.

Regards

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just looking and they seem to have taken the free landline number out of the contract. Now as a subscriber you only get 50% off rather than have it thrown in gratis.

Hi Jim

mine is unlimited calls and still £2.24 inc vat ..

are the new contracts now charged 50% on calls ? or have I misunderstood your post ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i used skype to ring Abbey national (as was) from sanfransisco a couple of years ago.....forgot to tell 'em i was going and they blocked my cards:Eeek:.

total cost for a 20 min international call was 17p.

had to put on £10 credit and to keep the credit live i was supposed to make one call to a landline/mobile every 6 months. forgot this time and lost the bloody lot so that one call was VERY expensive:Angry:

shirl used to use it all the time to ring her bro in australia and sis in spain, both skype to skype so free calls, but our internet connection leaves a lot to be desired and regularly got cut off so she gave up.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim

mine is unlimited calls and still £2.24 inc vat ..

are the new contracts now charged 50% on calls ? or have I misunderstood your post ?

Hi Jim, it will be OK for a year, then they will just stop and you will have to renew at the new rate. That's what happened to me at least. The 50% is the cost of the landline number. Calls are still free

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We use Skype and have done for 4+ years, and would be lost without it as we live in France ......
We use it to phone my sister in the USA and all our friends and relations in England.
If is just for the UK I am not sure what saving you will make compared to BT, but for us in France !!!!! It is a lot, and of course you are not worrying about the length of time you are on the phone, and what it is costing you...
We also use WEB cams so you can see the person you are talking to and what the other person is showing you.
We use computer to computer and the monthly...we also did use SKYPE OUT, which was like a prepay, you would pay to PayPal something like 10 euros credit, and as you talked it would go down ( you could also see it going down and know what you had left, you could print out a receipt/bill if required, you could check what each phone call cost you, as you can with the monthly( the 10 euros seemed to last for ages...(we still have some credit left on SKYPE out) but do not use it, we then went onto a monthly ( it was about 3.45euros when it started but I think it has just gone up not sure what it is at the moment ). The Monthly you can ring anywhere in Europe free of charge (what I mean you have already paid the monthly charge) any time of day or night for any length of time (unlimited) but the difference with the monthly, once you have paid there is no more to pay for that month, with Skype out of course the credit is dropping all the time and most likely you may have to replenish/top up depending how long you are on or how much you use it......e.g...if we had purchased something from England or another country and it has a problem or broken or did not arrive, and you had to ring the firm/company, and they put you on hold for two hours or more hoping you will just give up and forget about it and throw it in the bin(you know what I mean the dam music and some pre-recorded message saying you are in a queue) with the monthly no problem even from France as long as it is not one of the special numbers 0845...but with Skype out you could run out of credit!!!

Hope this is clear and does not confuse you (it does me and I am writing it) and of some help to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ......MEL

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
One thing I forgot to mention
When I came back over to England about 6 weeks ago for two weeks, when I was connected to the internet through my laptop I could then use Skype...AND OF COURSE all my phone calls was free in England and back to France using "SKYPE" computer to landline in England and Computer to France landline.....and of course computer to computer.

Can you use BT free of charge in another country!!!!!?????

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
thanks for that Melvin,

I in the end chose the mthly subscription, in the setup you have to nominte the country to use for unlimited free landline calls. Calls to mobiles and other countries would be charged at the skype reduced tarrif which you need to add PAYG credit in addition to the mthly amount

You say that when you came over to the uk they were free, do you have to cancel the contract and start a new to get the free unlimited calls or is there a way of changing this?

So far so good, trying to get my head roud this skype to go number thing ?

Regards

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
thanks for that Melvin,

I in the end chose the mthly subscription, in the setup you have to nominte the country to use for unlimited free landline calls. Calls to mobiles and other countries would be charged at the skype reduced tarrif which you need to add PAYG credit in addition to the mthly amount

You say that when you came over to the uk they were free, do you have to cancel the contract and start a new to get the free unlimited calls or is there a way of changing this?

So far so good, trying to get my head roud this skype to go number thing ?

Regards
it looks as if you have gone onto the single country, when I started this did not exist, I would think it still the one we have still exists today, and is the one for all Europe......there was also another when we joined that was just a little bit more to pay per month and that was for the world phones instead of just Europe......but do not worry I find Skype is very good and normally you can change things,
Have another look .... no I did NOT pay when I telephoned back to France or when I phoned in England in England while I was in England using my computer like a phone I use the phone pad and telephone the landlines required and speak like a normal phone...you go into your account and everything is itemised ....if charged at what rate how many minutes or if the call was free

Link Removed

try this site it is the one for Europe might be just a little more to pay than the single country
this what it says on the Europe SKYPE web site

You can choose a subscription to call a country that’s different from the one you live in. Also, you can make calls using your subscription from any other country - great for when you’re travelling.

sorry sinbad1 maybe I should have explained more but hope this helps you.......Mel
I do not use the mobile option

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Sinbad1.....don't forget it is free and you do not need a monthly subscription for computer to computer all around the world that is free and free download.
It is just when you want to phone somebodies landline that does not have a computer or any landline, that is when you need the skype out or the monthly contract
I have the monthly contract, I think we have had it about two years now it is great........I think you have made the best choice (my opinion)
From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France Mel
look after ya brass luv...count ya pennies

Sinbad1 I have left you the Europe SKYPE web site above on previous thread

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Sinbad1.....don't forget it is free and you do not need a monthly subscription for computer to computer all around the world that is free and free download.
It is just when you want to phone somebodies landline that does not have a computer or any landline, that is when you need the skype out or the monthly contract
I have the monthly contract, I think we have had it about two years now it is great........I think you have made the best choice (my opinion)
From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France Mel
look after ya brass luv...count ya pennies

Sinbad1 I have left you the Europe SKYPE web site above on previous thread

Thanks that explains things, quite happy to have uk only as most call will be uk with an odd call to france and that is currently only 1p/ min

Regards

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
Skype that!

I have skype on my laptop with skype out so can call landlines and mobiles for free,so no need for BT line as i have the 3 dongle (sinbad1) broadband.now have newphone from 3 with skype on it so can call from the mobile as well (skype to skype from that as well)or to a pc as it shows up in green on the phone just like it does on the pc .
You can get a sim from 3 for free pay as u go put in phone that as gsp or ???? unlucked and make free calls skype to skype and no need to put money on the sim card.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back