Essentials (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Apart from the obvious,,cutlery,plates,mugs for the yorkshire tea,kettle,etc what are the essentials of a well stocked motorhome ?? I will of course be taking clothes etc,but do you take an iron and board? mop?Hoover? what do i need that may not be obvious?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think you can forget the mop iron and iron board ! A small cordless vac is useful, I think the Dyson is probably the best but costly. I don't have one yet relying on using the home one at end of trip so I will be interested to see what others recommend

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Everyone is different regarding what is essential. Ironing and hoovering do not fit with us but an external hard drive loaded with entertainment is useful for the odd day when it rains.........................and the corkscrew of course.

The Tinca's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I take an iron and one of those ironing mats - not essential but I do use it quite a bit I also have one of those hand held Dysons, again very useful.

Other things which I find useful are: large vacuum flask which I fill with boiling water for drinks en route and vacuum mugs with sliding lids. Wet wipes, posser, plastic fridge containers, an iPad 'pencil' (makes using Ipad easier en route),

That's all I can think of at the moment - hope it helps

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Everything helps oriel, i am struggling with the tech side of life though,,i want to buy a new laptop but after chatting to a few people i now dont know what to get,,i like films,and browsing the internet,on here etc,,its all above my head im afraid,,, Should i get intouch with an insurance company now to tell them of my plans or wait till i actually commit to a motorhome???

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I have a small travel iron, doesn't get much use but it's there if needed.
My hand-held vacuum is a rechargeable Bush, it has a powered brush for the dog hairs.
Old newspaper in doorway for wet feet, and we use a mat under the steering wheel for wet/muddy shoes.
Remoska and Slow pot and a flask, very handy for heating tinned veg-peas etc.
We have an Apple Laptop, and an iPad each and use a MiFi for Internet.
I would wait until you get the MoHo re-insurance.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
For tech things - go to pc world or an apple shop they'll be able to advise. Motorhome first then insurance

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just wondering are you full timing in your van or using it just for holidays if fulltiming I would send a pm to @Gromett he has been doing it a while lots of experience.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Spare water pump, small tool kit to fix bits in the van (breakdown service can take care of engine & chassis). Gaffa tape & cable ties can get you out of all sorts of problems.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
@ianthebuilder what van are you looking for?
Something i can spend a lot of time in for a year or two figaro,,Fulltiming for a while,,,i would like a 4 berth,with a fixed bed,garage or good storage,Some extras would be nice,,tv,ariel,solar,awning,,my budget was £15,000 but i have revised it to about £18,000 but i would like to include insurance etc with that if i can,,,I have printed a lot of mhs from ebay and from tuesday next week i will get in my car and go shopping,,probably all over uk,, and i can also trade the car in as well,,i wont need it when i buy a mh,,probably worth £12/1500

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Everything helps oriel, i am struggling with the tech side of life though,,i want to buy a new laptop but after chatting to a few people i now dont know what to get,,i like films,and browsing the internet,on here etc,,its all above my head im afraid,,, Should i get intouch with an insurance company now to tell them of my plans or wait till i actually commit to a motorhome???
You can get a quote based on the type age or even reg of a mh. Personally I would not be leaving getting a quote until I had committed to buy. Most companies are available outside work hours, so I would get some example quotes first, not the other way around.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Something i can spend a lot of time in for a year or two figaro,,Fulltiming for a while,,,i would like a 4 berth,with a fixed bed,garage or good storage,Some extras would be nice,,tv,ariel,solar,awning,,my budget was £15,000 but i have revised it to about £18,000 but i would like to include insurance etc with that if i can,,,I have printed a lot of mhs from ebay and from tuesday next week i will get in my car and go shopping,,probably all over uk,, and i can also trade the car in as well,,i wont need it when i buy a mh,,probably worth £12/1500
If you intend to full time some insurance companies won't cover that, definitely need to include that in your insurance trawl. (y)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Ian it's s bit like when we go to work . You will often find that tool you can't do without is st home in the workshop .

A wee iron is a good idea plus a selection of tools a tin of WD and a roll of gaffer tape .

You will rapidly add to your kit after the first trip !

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Apart from the obvious,,cutlery,plates,mugs for the yorkshire tea,kettle,etc what are the essentials of a well stocked motorhome ?? I will of course be taking clothes etc,but do you take an iron and board? mop?Hoover? what do i need that may not be obvious?
A Small gennie :Eeek::reel:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Spare water pump, small tool kit to fix bits in the van (breakdown service can take care of engine & chassis). Gaffa tape & cable ties can get you out of all sorts of problems.
I also carry PTFE tape and also gas tape, a few electrical connectors a few nuts and bolts a few jubilee clips and some self tapping screws, wd40, plumbers grips, adjustable spanners pliers and a few other tools, battery charger, screwdrivers a good torch....and a few other bits. Recovery does not fix a leakywater pipe and if you can bodge something up it saves a lot of hassle!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sounds like your in for an adventure!
I've loved my first year with a Moho but not sure I could full time, OH definately couldn't !
Good luck with the search, lots of good advice on here, if find one you like, post here for useful opinions and what to look out for

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
For several years we ( wellll she anyway ) just used a broom.. But have now gone up market and use an Air Ram rechargeable thing

In our previous van we took all the carpets out and just left the vinyl down.. The new ( to us ) van has fixed carpets hence the upgrade :)

I would also suggest a couple of PROPER microfibre cloths. The cheapo things usually seen in supermarkets are ok, but ONLY ok.
The pucka ones are considerably more lolly and considerably better at doing what they are supposed to do !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Full time insurance could cost you £2k and I recall Comfort are the only ones offering it. Worth checking as this will be a big chunk of your budget. Doable, but pricey but it will be cheaper going to Europe rather than the UK if that was your plan so savings in day to day living costs will offset the cost of insurance to some extent.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Dyson portable is a good bit of kit but quite expensive we've got one but think it was worth it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back