retaining pressure (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i noticed at stratford my water pump seemed to be running more than usual.

turn on the pump master switch and it clicks away until it pressurizes then stops.....everything normal after that.

when we leave the van for the day or go to bed i turn off the main switch, dont want 70 liters of h2o in the van if it gets a leak , turn it back on next morning and it has to pressurize again.

never noticed it do this before...maybe it did, maybe it didnt!

the only thing thats been disturbed is the kitchen sink pipework and iv checked and re-checked that quite a few times, always clean and dry.

does yours hold pressure for long.?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Might be dirt in the pump John .. or a hole in the diaphragm.. if so the pressure will bleed off back to the tank.. worth a look

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i have one of the whale smart sensor pumps, or what ever they are called, varies the motor speed depending on the flow rate needed rather than tuning on and off all the time, hence no need for an accumilator tank,

i had a problem with that about a year after i bought it, it started faffing about, would burp repeatedly, i pressure tested my pipework to 3.4 bar (the pressure relief valve on the calorifier blows at 3.5 bar), and it held that pressure till the next morning,

told whale that, and they told me there is a problem with some of their smart pumps, and sent me a new pump head foc, the new un cured it.

However waht i do get is the pump burping occasionaly, and if i turn it off it will run to pump the system up again.... but the reason for that is i have a 20 litre hot water tank, which is heated to 85 degrees C, and as water expands when it's heated, so the pressure rises (i have a accumilator tank on the hot side, otherwise the pressure relief valve would pop all the time, this causes the people near you to think you have a leak.. specialy if it's cold out and you get the steam as well)

Anyway, after the tanks been heated, it'll cool down... and as it's cooling down the pressure will drop, so the pump burps to pump it back up, i know the accumilator tank should take care of that, but due to the multiple one way valves in my system, i'd need 2 or 3 accumilators, and hot water rated accumilators arend cheap enough for me to do that, my accumilator is there just to stop the PRV popping and releasing a litre of water every time the tank reaches 80 degrees.

if i turn the pump off when i come home, heating off too, so the hot water tank temp goes to ambient, then the pump will run for a second or 2 when i turn it back on,

in my last van i didnt have that 'issue' as much as i used hose for the water runs (the proper red and blue stuff) that stuff can expand and contract with pressure differances, so seemed to have done so, i also had a 'non smart' diaphram pump and accumilator tank, i did get pump burping when the tank's air pressure needed re-plenishing, but keep the air side at the same pressure as the pumps cut off, and it was ok.

this van i piped in that semi rigid tube, so no way that can expand enough to accomodate the pressure as the hot tank heats up and cools down,

You may have a slight leak still, i had an absolutely tiny leak at my bathroom tap once, never felt water around it, nothing in the cupboard under the sink ever got wet, but when i pressurised the water system with air to higher than the pump does, i could hear the hissing,

but if you have an accumilator tank, then check the air pressure on that, if it's low that's likely your problem, if not, then it's more than likely normal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It could also be a dripping tap or a leak and nothing wrong with the pump.

Doug...

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
but if you have an accumilator tank, then check the air pressure on that, if it's low that's likely your problem, if not, then it's more than likely normal.

by the accumulator tank i presume you mean the anti surge tank......just a cylinder with an internal diaphram with air pressure, via a shreader valve, at one side and pump water pressure at the other? stops the water pulsing at the tap.

if so i had thought of that as iv never checked it since i got the van 18months ago.:Blush:

a job for tommorow night.:thumb:

luckily i do have a brand new spare pump and pressure tank.:thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorted......

i narrowed it down to the naturepure filter housing.

sat on the throne looking for a new bog roll and noticed a piece of soggy cardboard in the undersink cupboard, where the filter lives.
luckily it's not where the spare bog rolls live.:thumb:

one of the serrated pipe nuts wouldnt tighten fully...the nut was gripping the connecting pipe flange instead of turning on it and the pipe was springing back slightly loosening the nut.

not leaking badly but enough to loose pressure overnight.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
sorted......

i narrowed it down to the naturepure filter housing.

sat on the throne looking for a new bog roll and noticed a piece of soggy cardboard in the undersink cupboard, where the filter lives.
luckily it's not where the spare bog rolls live.:thumb:

one of the serrated pipe nuts wouldnt tighten fully...the nut was gripping the connecting pipe flange instead of turning on it and the pipe was springing back slightly loosening the nut.

not leaking badly but enough to loose pressure overnight.

well sorted:thumb: now come over and fix my fridge:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back