Fast Internet wherever we are (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As a family we need internet all the time. When on the road we cannot survive with just a quick scan of emails at McDonalds and a sausage McMuffin. This absolute need for internet, Katie's schooling and my business requirements; used to curtail our travel.

Everything had to be worked out around being somewhere and having a fast connection during business and school hours. What a pain this proved to be. But not any more. We have been liberated with a sat dish. Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
This sounds excellent - can you add this to a sat dish already installed?
Lloyd.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Lloyd.

Doubt it, but a missed opportunity for Oyster, there must be loads of people, me included, who would like to do it.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What is the total cost of the hardware supply and fit or did I miss that part..

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Can you give figures for the download and upload speeds you experienced?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Thanks boss, very informative read and one I will certainly be looking at

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have agreed a special price of £2999 for subscribed Funsters, Installation to a TV point is £240 and we charge an extra £100 to supply and install a 12 volt switched Belkin WiFi router

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Lloyd.
There was a discussion recently about converting an older dish system to a internet system, but the system that we installed for Jim is a bespoke TV and Internet system and there is no upgrade available for existing Oyster systems.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Can you give figures for the download and upload speeds you experienced?

You can't use regular Speedtest sites, but Currently sat well outside the footprint so slower than normal, but I'd guess I have a 4 meg download speed. Thats about the same as BT Internet delivers via landline to my Office in Wales :rolleyes:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Hi Jim thank you very much for the informed write up ,I was wondering just how good the sat system is ,we will need a decent internet system and this was our favorite ,
The shock was at the end when I realized that I know 4 blokes who are called Jim brown :eek:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Great write up @Jim and thanks for the mention :smiley:

For 'mission critical' internet access then Satellite Internet is still almost the only way to go, most of our sat internet customers supplement this with campsite WiFi and/or mobile broadband to preserve their data allowance for when its necessary.

Lots of people want to know the ins and outs of the TV side of the system too and so we usually send them over to @eddievanbitz for the lowdown. I WILL repay you that bacon butty at Peterborough this year!

We get mixed reports on Broadband Everywhere (overwhelmingly good) - I'd be interested to hear how you find their Fair Usage Policy if you're on one of their 'Unlimited' packages.

You're right about 3/4G roaming - in France for example Orange (Three's roaming partner) don't allow you to use their 4G network. While roaming charges are set to reduce next year, it's still going to be 5p per MB cap (£50+ a GB!) and when the are finally removed in 2017 networks are still allowed to employ data/time limitations on usage :wondering: so you're still right to consider this route in the longer term. But we'll see - it's all a step in the right direction.

Enjoy the sun Jim, no doubt see you at Peterborough next year :smiley:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
As a family we need internet all the time. When on the road we cannot survive with just a quick scan of emails at McDonalds and a sausage McMuffin. This absolute need for internet, Katie's schooling and my business requirements; used to curtail our travel.

Everything had to be worked out around being somewhere and having a fast connection during business and school hours. What a pain this proved to be. But not any more. We have been liberated with a sat dish. Broken Link Removed
£3000+ to me Jim is out of my reach and I suspect most of us....any pointers JIM how to start up a motorhome web site:xgrin::xgrin:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
any pointers JIM how to start up a motorhome web site

Sure... best thing is to be a real enthusiast, eat,live sleep motorhomes. Find two fast servers and be prepared to pay for a lot of bandwidth, learn how to run them or pay people retainers for when you hit trouble, you will. Run it for at least three years for free, and promote it hard, paid google ads work well, they will cost you plenty, but if you're having fun you won't care. Be prepared to never have a day without logging in, the day you don't you'll wish you had. Always login at around 5am to catch the morning spam or late night wine fuelled handbags; then a last look in, 18 hours later to be sure. Between those times you can work on the ever important SEO, without that people won't find your site, keep the servers and software uptodate with your constant war with spammers. In the outside world, Spread the word whenever you can, do around 20,000 miles a year promoting your website and attending rallies. Do all that and if your as lucky as I am to have a second job too, then that sat internet dish will be small change ;)

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sure... best thing is to be a real enthusiast, eat,live sleep motorhomes. Find two fast servers and be prepared to pay for a lot of bandwidth, learn how to run them or pay people retainers for when you hit trouble, you will. Run it for at least three years for free, and promote it hard, paid google ads work well, they will cost you plenty, but if you're having fun you won't care. Be prepared to never have a day without logging in, the day you don't you'll wish you had. Always login at around 5am to catch the morning spam or late night wine fuelled handbags; then a last look in, 18 hours later to be sure. Between those times you can work on the ever important SEO, without that people won't find your site, keep the servers and software uptodate with your constant war with spammers. In the outside world, Spread the word whenever you can, do around 20,000 miles a year promoting your website and attending rallies. Do all that and if your as lucky as I am to have a second job too, then that sat internet dish will be small change ;)

Is that all?

:xgrin:

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
can TV be received at the same time as Internet?

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We have 2 'LNB's' on our dish, so we can watch TV and use the Internet at the same time, but I guess the quality of the Internet is NOT as good as Jims.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Plus much much more!
£3000+ to me Jim is out of my reach and I suspect most of us

Doubt it looking at the money Funsters pay for their vans and how much they spend on toys! £3k to be able to travel Europe, run a business and keep in touch and home educate their children seem good value

We get customers who will spend £3k on air conditioning for their dogs!

I would lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back