Motorhome Snobbery (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Even though i am still looking for my first MH i have been watching,reading and learning on here,,it occured to me however that even though some people have personal preferences about make,type of MH etc no one has ever had a go at anyone with a lesser mh than theirs! (to my knowledge) So if you are lucky enough to own and travel in a £80,000 mh or even a conversion you have done yourself on a budget, Does snobbery exsist on sites etc or does everybody get along nicely? I am asking because i will not have a massive budget!!! lol Or is there any snobbery between peeps of different countries??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You tend to find not but if there is any 'interest' though it tends to be towards those who have an interesting older/classic MH as everyone ohs and ahs over it ... "... I remember those" etc ... much more than a 'bling' machine!

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Ive always found most M/H owners are very friendly, in the 2 yrs we have been out an about i have only ever encountered one stuck up ass - we pulled onto a motorway service station for a break and drove into the lorry park where there was already some M/H, then within 5 minutes this great big RV pulls up along side our PVC, as me an Mrs TC were admiring it the owner got out (a fella i would say in his late 50s to early 60s) looked right at us just as i said Hi he just completely blanked us as if we were not even there - another stuck up his own ass !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Takes all sorts. Im not sure but when we had a caravan (sorry), on arrival on site people seemed to chat and be friendly. If we pull up in the moho they don't seem as willing to chat. Our van is a bailey approach, so not top of range by any means but then its not the cheapest and its our pride and joy. However if we pull up beside other moho's most people seem friendly enough. Don't know if its a caravan/ Motorhome thing or just luck of the draw with your neighbour. Did seem to find the Germans weren't so willing to be friendly early this year. :lipssealed:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Even though i am still looking for my first MH i have been watching,reading and learning on here,,it occured to me however that even though some people have personal preferences about make,type of MH etc no one has ever had a go at anyone with a lesser mh than theirs! (to my knowledge) So if you are lucky enough to own and travel in a £80,000 mh or even a conversion you have done yourself on a budget, Does snobbery exsist on sites etc or does everybody get along nicely? I am asking because i will not have a massive budget!!! lol Or is there any snobbery between peeps of different countries??
Tbh, I don't really care if there is. The kind of people that look down on others are not the kind that I spend time with. I've been blanked by a few miserable sods who retreat into their gin palaces as soon as the sun goes down but we tend to have more fun without them - I don't know if they are snobs or not, I've never been bothered to find out.

Deleted User
Never noticed any snobbery tbh, the only time we have ever come across any "standoffishness" is when we've parked near to an established group (for instance 2 family groups travelling together) they obviously wanted to keep them to themselves when I gave them a cheery North Notts, "ey up me duck". Dunno why!

I tend to make a beeline for interesting peeps in interesting vans regardless of age/style of van/owner. Asking a self builder about his/her van is a cracking way to spend 4-5 hrs ;)

There's always a cold beer offered to anyone stopping by for a chat, obviously this has the added bonus of me having an excuse for a cold beer. We had the absolute pleasure of an old(er) guy calling at our van at Criel Plage in August, on the hour with a smile and rubbish joke.

I suppose there are snobs out there, but it's highly unlikely we'll choose the same stopovers (we'll doss anywhere!)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The only snobbish / standoffish behaviour we ever come across occasionally is from Caravan/4x4 types can't say I have come across it with other Motorhomers , though there are some grumpy old gits but that's different.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009

No snobbery whatsoever...

But just £80,000 really!!!

No gold taps then???

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The only snobbish / standoffish behaviour we ever come across occasionally is from Caravan/4x4 types can't say I have come across it with other Motorhomers , though there are some grumpy old gits but that's different.
Sorry, Carol....I'll wave next time honest:p

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Not aware that snobbery exists on here, and nor have I come across it, but then I spend most of my time in my gin palace.

You got that new job then Chris???

As shadow chancellor???

Uncanny likeness...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think there can be a bit of one-upmanship, but I don't class that as snobbery. :)

I was talking to someone recently who used to own a Swift and had gone to a few rallies for Swift owners. They described them as "horrendous" as when they got together all the talk was about what extras folk had or the merits of one model over another. I doubt this is confined to one make either. Someone posted something on here in the last fortnight (no details to protect the innocent!) about an issue they were having and the very first reply was from someone with a very expensive (six figures) MH who basically said "we don't have that problem" :) I am sure it wasn't meant to come across in the way it did but I read it as saying, if you spend as much as we did then you'll be fine. :) But it's all part of the Fun!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We've had seven vans with big price differences, the first was a fourth hand Romahome on a Citroen petrol base. No hot water or heating but that van gave us so much fun, in La Belle France camping caristes with high value vans still wanted to 'have a look' and pull it about. Not come across snobbery between motorhomers but as Carol says, you may find one or two maggot draggers turn their nose up. Who cares?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Interesting word 'Snob'.. .. so I looked it up

Wiki:
The word "snobbery" came into use the first time in England during the 1820s. It allegedly originated from the habit of many Oxford and Cambridge colleges of writing sine nobilitate (Latin: "without nobility") or s. nob. next to the names of ordinary students on examination lists in order to distinguish them from their aristocratic schoolmates.

Well. I guess that just about sums it up and why there are so many snobs in our present government.. The Bullingdon Boys Rule you .. OK

Snobbery can be found in all walks of life and in all social groups.. I don't think Fun and or motorhomers are the exception.. there will be 'snobs' who own motorhomes, but far fewer than many other social groups.. reason being proper real 'snobs' wouldn't be seen dead slumming it in a converted van..

Came across a few who think they are better than everyone else simply because they have the latest model fancy van.. same as some car owners.. but never came across any while camping.. :LOL:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Often I think that self builds draw a lot of attention, mainly because people Are genuinely interested in what has been included and how. I personally am in awe of anyone with such ability and find it fascinating.
I am of the opinion that I have a camper van because it is a PVC but some owners might get upset because they believe their PVC is a Motorhome - not Funsters I hasten to add. Also older vans have their own following.
At the end of the day it's 'horses for courses' and does it really matter?
I for one am just happy with my lot and thoroughly enjoy the company of like minded people.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Of course it exists, motorhomeing is no different from any other form of human interaction. The woman are the biggest snobs especially if they have extended their right to buy mortgage to purchase a gin palace.:)
Don't confuse having nothing in common with a fellow camper as snobbery though, if you dont have much in common with someone while at home then the chances are that you wont want to be parked in close proximity to them while away.....The art is to find someone who you have common interests with and befriend them whether they drive a gin palace or are staying in a tent.(y)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Snobbery.. I drive an old Renault on Irish plates.. I get lots of snobbery.. only from tuggers though.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Not aware that snobbery exists on here, and nor have I come across it, but then I spend most of my time in my gin palace.
Your Welsh so just grateful that people will talk to you lol

I been asked similar questions ,thousands of times at shows and my answer is a heartily felt, stock one

Try describing what we do to a Martian? We go into a field, often leaving perfectly habitable houses, sleep in a tin box, eat food, often burnt, cooked over a flame or two. We pee and poo into a pot, which we then have to take out and tip/pour somewhere else. We put water in to the tin box using a hose, then pour it our our heads and then pour it back out using a "different" hose!

I could go on, but after all of that, many would be questioning why on Earth (talking to Martians remember LOL) we would bother?

So then trying to add a caste system, mine cost £120k so I am superior to those people, over there, who spent under £100k but inferior to those people who spent over £150k! BUT.....we are all superior to those people in that field who have tents:sneaky:

Having described what we do, the Martian would probably ask:-

why?:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back