Export insurance from Belgium (1 Viewer)

exrayspex

Free Member
Oct 30, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner i572
Exp
3 years
Hi

New member here looking for export insurance advice.

I am looking to import a Frankia van from a Belgium dealer. I have researched everything but getting stuck with the export insurance.

I understand that you need to go to the DIV (Belgium equivalent of DVLA) to get the license plates. You need to take evidence of insurance but having trouble finding the short term insurance. Have emailed several Belgium insurance agents but none have replied.

There seems to be loads of info about exporting from Germany, but little about Belgium.

Anyone done this before from Belgium and can offer any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Jun 8, 2010
west sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Tents till 1973,caravan till1987m/home since1987
Hi Steve,
when I imported from Belgium a few years back,the dealer drove my Van to the port on his insurance.
Regards,
jml

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Same here. We pick up our van next week and the dealer is driving the van to the port, then loaning us his trade plates to get the van home. Safeguard then cover us from the UK port.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
As long as van insured once it hits the UK ( I always use safeguard) no need for plates. Just get dealer to drive to port for you.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Same here brought two vans in Belgium dealer dives it to the port,only risk you take is in the port and on the ferry.

OP
OP
E

exrayspex

Free Member
Oct 30, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner i572
Exp
3 years
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We are going to view the van tomorrow.

Can I ask which Belgium dealers you have dealt with and how far the dealer drove to the van to the port. The dealer in question here is 120Km from the nearest port and doesn't appear to have sold a van to the UK before.

I spoke to Safeguard and whilst they were the most expensive quote they do cover on the VIN plate once it reaches the foreign port.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
@lennyhb. Yep I suspect we're going to have an anxious couple of hours on the boat:)

@exrayspex we're dealing with Campirama. All seems very well organised and a good deal. Many thanks to @lennyhb, @Judgemental, and others on this forum for their advice. We use safeguard for our current van so makes sense to stick with them at the moment.

@Judgemental not sure about legally needing the plates in the UK, but suspect it will reduce the problems of being stopped and questioned by customs/police and at least gives you some identification for ferry check in....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Campirama, about 100km from port.
Book a late ferry dealers prefer to drive to port after close of business, you usually follow driving their car.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We are going to view the van tomorrow.

Can I ask which Belgium dealers you have dealt with and how far the dealer drove to the van to the port. The dealer in question here is 120Km from the nearest port and doesn't appear to have sold a van to the UK before.

I spoke to Safeguard and whilst they were the most expensive quote they do cover on the VIN plate once it reaches the foreign port.

The dealer will has drivers picking up and delivering vans all over the place. Just ask...its worth it even if they charge.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
The dealer will be able to sort that all out for you.
I am on holiday at the moment due back in Belgium next Wednesday.
If you need any help after that give me a shout.
The dealer is a good profesional (Family) dealership.

Mel

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I used NFU to insure then cancelled after got it registered and went back to Comfort as NFU were twice the price, but they don't have any cancellation charges.

OP
OP
E

exrayspex

Free Member
Oct 30, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner i572
Exp
3 years
Thanks for the extra info.

Some one people are saying they borrowed the dealers trade plates and then posted them back but if you didn't then did you drive the van in the UK without plates on?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Some one people are saying they borrowed the dealers trade plates and then posted them back but if you didn't then did you drive the van in the UK without plates on?

Yes as long as its insured..have done it a few times. have borrowed dealers plates as well and posted back..probaby the easiest option

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Our dealer puts a faulse set of Belgium plates on then uses his trade plates to get to the port. Leagly you should drive the van home without any plates but far less chance of being stopped with a set of Belgium plates on.

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
We have just ordered our van from Campirama :) They have told us that they will drive it to the port for us, but I forgot to ask whether they will lend us export plates to drive it home from the UK port. I am waiting for a response to this question by email from them.

I tried both Safeguard and NFU for insuring on the VIN number and NFU came out almost 45% cheaper plus they told me that they did not require us to put on a Cat 1 alarm, which was a requirement with Safeguard (and within 14 days of importing). So its NFU for us...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have just ordered our van from Campirama :) They have told us that they will drive it to the port for us, but I forgot to ask whether they will lend us export plates to drive it home from the UK port. I am waiting for a response to this question by email from them.
Campirama will put a set of false plates on the van and tie their trade plates over the top.
You will be waiting a long time for an email responce - not one of their strong points.
I tried both Safeguard and NFU for insuring on the VIN number and NFU came out almost 45% cheaper plus they told me that they did not require us to put on a Cat 1 alarm, which was a requirement with Safeguard (and within 14 days of importing). So its NFU for us...
We used NFU to import, then changed back to Comfort once registered, NFU don't have any cancellation charges so you just pay for the days you use, but they were twice the price of Comfort.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
the Belgian dealer told us that we could have proper Belgian export plates for about 250 euros , we have to turn up a day before we drive it and produce our passports , im going over there in January and will enquire as to the possibility of having the MH delivered to the port , its not as far as 120km , the dealer is just over the border in Belgium

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Just brought our van back from Campirama in Belgium. As @lennyhb described above they drive you to the port on plates at which point they take their trade plates off leaving another Belgian plate for you to drive home. This did cause us slight consternation as we had updated our ferry booking with the trade plates information which then changed just 50 metres from check-in.:whistle:
We have just stuck them in the post back to Campirama today. They will probably be back in time for you to use!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just brought our van back from Campirama in Belgium. As @lennyhb described above they drive you to the port on plates at which point they take their trade plates off leaving another Belgian plate for you to drive home. This did cause us slight consternation as we had updated our ferry booking with the trade plates information which then changed just 50 metres from check-in.:whistle:
We have just stuck them in the post back to Campirama today. They will probably be back in time for you to use!

Posted them back ! I've still got 2 sets of dodgy Belgium plates in my garage.:D
Both vans I brought back I went DFDS from Dunkirk didn't have to put a reg in the booking.:)

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Yes Campirama are not good at replying to emails....

Can I pick your collective brains about how you travelled to pick up your motorhome? We are planning on getting the Eurostar to Lille and then train to Kortrijk. Overnight in hotel in centre then taxi (or maybe bus) to dealer in the morning. I have had no reply to my question about what time is convenient for them to drive us to the port so we will just turn up early and see what happens.

Cheers

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Hello, we did this same trip 3 weeks ago tomorrow. We got Eurostar to Lille and stayed there overnight ( Eurostar terminal pretty much central Lille).
Sebastien picked us up from our hotel the next morning and took us to the showroom.

How long handover takes is very much up to you. They picked us up at 9:30 and we caught the 18:00 ferry home.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Oh thats brilliant! I thought it was good service for them to drive us to the port...even better if they pick us up from the hotel as well :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Last time we got the Eurostar because it was free (Airmiles), seriously, it is the easiest way to get to Kortrijk, spent the weekend in Lille then got the train to Kortrijk Monday morning, it's only a few Euro and you get an over 60 discount, easier than waiting for Campirama to pick you up and traffic on that road can be horrendous, then they will pick you up from the station.
Do make it clear before you go that you want the van driving to the port on that day, tell them your ferry is at 8:pm, but book one for 9:30pm or later, you won't get them to drive the van until after close of business. Don't expect your van to be ready they are totally disorganised and do everything at the last minute.
I think @Jenben was very lucky to get a 18:00 ferry must have caught them on a quiet day, both times we have picked up vans from them it's been touch & go.

If you PM me I can give you Emmanuel's mobile number.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I think @Roseandpeter you are best to just tell them what your plans are and what you would like them to do by email and then just confirm over the phone.

Our handover was pretty straightforward @lennyhb although they were an hour late picking us up!! When we had completed the handover one of their guys drove the van to the port whilst we drove the car and then we swopped over at the port itself.

We got a flexi ferry ticket and had no problem with arriving for a different ferry.

It's a very exciting day out!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've had 2 vans from them and my mate 2 also, every time it has been an all day job with bits not finished on the van, having said that I would still recommend them, nice family run company, very good prices and workmanship is good is good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back