Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
Hi to all

Now back home after collecting our Kountrylite 26RK from Calder Leisure - Interesting Experience!!!

Stopped in the Lake District for 3 nights on the way back.After pitching outfit at each stop using 4WD Low as recommended by Paul at Calder Leisure for low speed maneuvering a smell of burning from the clutch got progressively worse at each stop.Buy the time we arrived home the smell was very strong all the time.
We phoned the dealer we bought the Navara from who were totally casual about the whole tale.It would seem Nissan have posted a bulletin recommending a software upgrade to stop this happening.After commenting "that's a bit late to help us", we were told not a problem. Bring your vehicle in and if a new clutch is required we will replace it under warranty,and update your software.
We cannot recommened our Nissan Dealer enough as we now have a new updated clutch assembly,flywheel & updated software at no cost to us whatsoever.
The only downside is Nissan stress very strongly "use vehicle normally for a minimum of 500 miles to allow new clutch to fully bed in before towing again" so its off to visit some campsites to see if they are "Kountrylite Suitable".

So if you have a manual Navara phone your dealer to see if your model year is covered for the software upgrade.Ours is an '08 Advantura.

Now to catch up on other information which may be of help, use or just interest :-

Average mpg towing 17-18 on 400 mile trip with overnight stops.Unit Towed most comfortably keeping between 50-55 mph in fifth gear.Tried using 6th on flat & downhill but unit just did not seem comfortable.

While on Linwater campsite at Calder Leisure we had the dubious pleasure of having the first RCD Consumer Unit to start smoking when the reset button stuck in.Reading other postings stuck buttons have happened before but no smoke!!

Our Insurance from Campton Insurance Brokers does include cover for "commuting to & from a permanent place of employment"

Arrival Breakdown scheme with the RAC only available through the Caravan & Camping Club.My understanding is, with no limit on size, if you break down and cannot be repaired at roadside the whole outfit is put on a low-loader which would normally be used for commercial recovery.This service cost us £156.68 including C&CC member discount for 1 years cover.

Thank you for the tip about the strap to hold the steps in place when towing.

If you are trying to work out safe Towing/Load weights the weight of our Navara Advantura manual with a full tank of fuel, 5th Wheel Hitch, normal towbar & soft load cover is 2252k.The listed kerb weight is 2134k so hitch ect weighs 118k.When we tow again I'll put the whole outfit on the weighbridge to find the unladen weight of the Kountrylite as supplied by Calder Leisure as they have added to the posted unladen weight from the factory with 240V electrics,110V converter ect which must be subtracted from the load allowance of the unit.

Forgot to say earlier we are really pleased with our Kountrylite and the service from Calder Leisure.Paul & Alan were really helpful sorting out our minor problems & we cannot praise their attitude to the customer highly enough.

We are now looking forward to actually using it!!!

chaswb100
Chas & Cathy Baker

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Congrats on a superb unit and glad your home safe.:thumb:
Clutch issues on the manual was one reason why we went with an auto, the down side for us being 15mpg.:whatthe:

Could you please confirm your statement re insurance cover for comuting in the Nav as ours specifically states no comuting on the paperwork which Camptons sent us.

Ta.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Delighted to know that all went well with the collection, sorry to hear about the Navarra and the clutch problem...............I think that the dealer is to be commended, I think I would also be asking what will happen should this item fail out of warranty.........if only to settle my mind.

Regarding the arrivals cover.....Is this UK only?
I seem to remember that there was an idea on one of the forums about getting a network of fifth wheel enabled trucks to call on for assistance in an emergency, and I guess a breakdown is an emergency:Eeek:

I hope that sometime we may meet and exchange notes whilst out on the road, till then....I wish you many happy travels.

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaswb100

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
Congrats on a superb unit and glad your home safe.:thumb:
Clutch issues on the manual was one reason why we went with an auto, the down side for us being 15mpg.:whatthe:

Could you please confirm your statement re insurance cover for comuting in the Nav as ours specifically states no comuting on the paperwork which Camptons sent us.

Ta.

I mentioned this deliberately because of your posting.I originally wanted business use because that's what I had on the Navara's original ins.Camptons said the underwriter did not do business cover but would do commuting so I had to accept this if I wanted their Insurance.

Regards - Chas

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I mentioned this deliberately because of your posting.I originally wanted business use because that's what I had on the Navara's original ins.Camptons said the underwriter did not do business cover but would do commuting so I had to accept this if I wanted their Insurance.

Regards - Chas

..........and can I ask if you specifically asked for "comuting" to be added and if so did you have to pay extra?

Cheers:thumb:

OP
OP
chaswb100

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
Delighted to know that all went well with the collection, sorry to hear about the Navarra and the clutch problem...............I think that the dealer is to be commended, I think I would also be asking what will happen should this item fail out of warranty.........if only to settle my mind.

Regarding the arrivals cover.....Is this UK only?
I seem to remember that there was an idea on one of the forums about getting a network of fifth wheel enabled trucks to call on for assistance in an emergency, and I guess a breakdown is an emergency:Eeek:

I hope that sometime we may meet and exchange notes whilst out on the road, till then....I wish you many happy travels.

Rob

Had no idea about European cover so I've just phoned and asked.
For an additional premium of £84.15 I'm covered in Western Europe for unlimited trips of not more than 90 days each trip in the membership year.This is full arrival cover by commercial recovery with the same unlimited size & weight as UK.Hope this helps.

Navara is under warrenty untill May 2011 with the option to extend if required so no worrys yet.However the dealer did say that with this latest clutch assembly all previous known faults should now be covered.

Like the idea of all meeting up.Someone should suggest suitable site in midlands? as possible mid point for those interested.Once we have an agreeable site we could work on date?

Regards - Chas

vava1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The Kountrylite 26RK is listed at 2795kg, dry weight - so I imagine the Navara is very close to it's maximum capacity - that's before you put anything in the 5th wheel, I presume you take clothes, food, bikes, water?!

I had a demountable on my Navara, less than the quoted 1-tonne payload, but again, uncomfortably close to maximum capacity; not a pleasant drive! Eventually driving it resulting in a cracked chassis, sold it soon after!

Great things on site though - pity you have to drive them!

Last edited:

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
If only fiat would take a leaf out of nissans book the world would be a much happier place
(for me anyway).:RollEyes:
dave

vava1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If only fiat would take a leaf out of nissans book the world would be a much happier place
(for me anyway).:RollEyes:
dave

Today, people are STILL buying Fiat based motorhomes; spending 30, 40, 50 even 60-70 thousand pounds on them!

Amazing isn't it - after all the negative publicity about poor build quality, reliability and bust gearboxes!

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Today, people are STILL buying Fiat based motorhomes; spending 30, 40, 50 even 60-70 thousand pounds on them!

Amazing isn't it - after all the negative publicity about poor build quality, reliability and bust gearboxes!

I cannot see why the Motorhome manufacturers do not offer the option of other makes of base vehicle and not just the fiat. I for one would pay good money to avoid italian design and build quality of any sort.::bigsmile:

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years

Sadly for everyone of us on here and other forums there is 10,20 or more who are unaware of the problems with fiat.I dont have a problem with the faults happening (shit happens),but i do have a problem with the way fiat are dealing (or not) with them.
Dave
Ps.sorry off thread i know.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Nissan must be patted on the back for good :thumb: service ::bigsmile:

However 14-15mpg in a truck which is at the absolute maximum weight and towing capacity and must be a little scarey :Eeek: to drive towing that 5er the question has to be asked why oh why didnt you buy a USA truck ?? :Doh:. The fact that you need to use 4WD and low ratio when manovering must tell you something ??

I keep bleeting on about Euro pick ups and 5th wheels and once again ask you why you dont see ANY Euro truck in the USA towing 5ers?? :Blush:

Simple answer...they are simply not built for this type of use. :Doh:

Nice 5er though and im sure you must be delighted. When you get sick of the Nissan breaking down (and you will cos I did :cry:). Look at buying the right tool for the job and get a decent USA truck.:thumb:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Broadly Dazzer, I agree with your sentiments, I do think that you are missing the point in a few areas and being the caring sharing type of forum we are then it would be churlish not to set the record straight. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

14 to 15 mpg towing is less than I just got towing my Rockwood with the 6000cc V8 Diesel Ford F250. I averaged 14.7 mpg US which I believe is around 16mpg UK.

I understand why people want the Navarra's and the like because a Ford F250 in a county such as Devon is a liability (sorry if you were in the Red Mondeo, I had nowhere to go :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:)

If you are not moving about all the time then the on road capability of the Navarra and its ilk does make sense. ( The F250 whilst wonderful to drive is not exactly small and manoeuverable)

I am aware of my Rockwood on my F250( and this is not much heavier that the Euro spec 5'ers) so what it must be like towing with a Navarra I can only guess at, I agree, I do not like the sound of having to drop to 4 wheel drive and low ratio :Eeek: that would worry me. Likewise it would worry me if you had to fit air assistance etc. Call me an old traditionalist but it seems that these need to be fitted as the vehicle is not up to, or was not designed to do that job in the first place. Again that would worry me.

Regards Euro spec pick ups in the US then the simple answer is that they are, witness the Nissan Titan, Toyota Tundra etc etc. These are larger, stronger versions of the euro's, and they are capable of towing the 5'ers. Maybe something to factor in when choosing a pick up over here :thumb:

Rob

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Nissan vs US?

Guys,
Just from experience so far.
I did look at a F150/250 but I went for the Nissan.
OK it has been chipped and suspension beefed up so it has been proffessionaly re-plated and tested to be up to the job.
I have so far pulled my Kountrylite, boardering on legal limit of 3.5 t, for over 2,500 miles through Europe. Worst case was pulling up the Pyrenees where speed dropped to 45 mph, can't understand using 4wd etc. never needed to. Average mph 19 pulling and 30+ when not. I do not feel the need for speed.
Where do you get spares for your triton V10 6.8 litre in the middle of Spain or any other spare for your US truck, Nissan are pretty much everywhere (actully built in Spain).
If you like / love the US stuff fine, I'm not making a statement. At about £17K inc vat I thicnk the Navara is real value for money and it does the job.
(at present in Pamplona waiting to see the Bulls run)
Rgs
Jackomet

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
The Ford V8 engine is the most common engine in the world. It is possible to get spares for ANY Ford, USA model or otherwise from any Ford dealer. :winky:

If it says Ford on the badge and Ford on the Dealership they are legally bound by the franchise agreement to repair any and ALL Ford vehicles especially if its still under Fords worldwide warranty. :thumb:

They might not like it but if you insist they will help you or risk having the franchise taken away. :Eeek:

My friend is the service manager at a Ford dealers so knows how the system works. ::bigsmile:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I think that the choice of tow truck is more down to your needs when you are NOT towing than the truck being the "best for the job", unless you are on the move all the time, (or you tow a heavy 5er)
We chose a Cummins Ram because the Cummins engine is fitted to a lot of vehicles in Europe eg. Daf trucks & JCB tractors, also the Ram is a popular tow truck in the 'States. We have found that we can order parts by 'phone from USA and have them in our hands in as few as 4 days, so, as long as we have a list of suppliers and their 'phone No. we do not even need to go on line.
No vehicle is perfect and we think that you have to accept that, we get at least 15 mpg towing our 5er (that we fulltime in) but we don't get more than 25 empty. Our gearing is a bit low as we can climb quite steep hills in overdrive, but it makes people look when we overtake going uphill !!!!!! We have to stay under 60mph to get the best from the fuel, but we normally "run with the trucks" for an easy life.
Regarding use of low range for reversing, we nearly always do it when backing our work trailer with the Land Rover (manual 'box,) it is to give the clutch an easy life.
Nigel & Pamala

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Guys,
Where do you get spares for your triton V10 6.8 litre in the middle of Spain or any other spare for your US truck, Nissan are pretty much everywhere (actully built in Spain).
At about £17K inc vat I thicnk the Navara is real value for money and it does the job.
(at present in Pamplona waiting to see the Bulls run)
Rgs
Jackomet

I have purchased a selection of spares from my local commercial vehicle garage, these are carried in the 5'er. It took them 7 hours to get the parts, yes, thats right, same day parts, not bad for a yank truck :thumb::thumb::thumb:

£17k, quite a bit more than my F250 then.
So the Navarra is built in spain, :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: so the build quality is down to a population who stab animals for sport and throw donkeys off the tops of churches:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And before everyone responds............................................................................................................................................JOKE ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back