How much is the cheapest way to Eire (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My wife has decided she wants to see Ireland and told be to get us over there. I looked at various site and they seem VERY expensive for a 7 metre+ van and I do not want to pay hundreds each way. There was an offer last year if you quoted code ICCC and it was for booking off busy season. Does anybody know of a similar offer coming next year?
Also where do you NOT stop and park up to be safe, obviously not the downmarket areas into Dublin but is everywhere else OK?
probably would wildcamp if there are not many site around and not stay in same place for more than a day.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If you decide to go to NI then a wee stop at Jordanstown near Belfast is a good spot. only 6 spaces and security controlled barrier last time I was there but boy racers can be heard in the car park outside till around midnight.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
If you've got any Tesco vouchers they helped bring the crossing price down considerably for us earlier this year.

Steve :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We went about 4 years ago used Airmiles to pay for the crossing, if paying it was £220 return from Pembroke.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A quick check on P&O suggests around £350 return for a 7.0m MH May/June next year on the Cairnryan to Larne route. This is without any extras. I have used this route several times (when it left from Stranraer) in the past. But we lived in Carlisle then so it was fairly easy to get to although the run across the bottom of Scotland is slow from what I remember. Perhaps the roads have been improved since then?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Must admit it looks a lovely place to visit Eire , but like wise the price of the crossing puts us off when compared to going to Calais .

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
although the run across the bottom of Scotland is slow from what I remember. Perhaps the roads have been improved since then?
Don't be daft. Probably worse. What with single lane traffic light contraflow roadworks and avoiding the jet powered Continental HGV drivers going to and from the ferry!

Reactions: DBK

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Someone did tell me about using freight ferries and a quick google around found Broken Link Removed one way, which does bring it down to £240 return instead of P&O's £350. There are restrictions on sailing times though.

Might be worth checking other freight ferries, though I'm guessing the passenger facilities might not be quite as luxurious as on a passenger ferry?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Must admit it looks a lovely place to visit Eire , but like wise the price of the crossing puts us off when compared to going to Calais .

and not just Calais.. which is about the same distance as Cairnryan to Larne route..

with the recent RET fares introduced by Cal-Mac, you could buy Hopscotch ticket and see just about every Scottish island for less .. I know where my money will be going..

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Someone did tell me about using freight ferries and a quick google around found Broken Link Removed one way, which does bring it down to £240 return instead of P&O's £350. There are restrictions on sailing times though.

Might be worth checking other freight ferries, though I'm guessing the passenger facilities might not be quite as luxurious as on a passenger ferry?

There are restrictions on animals as well. No Pets allowed at all........

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just driven up to near Stranraer this weekend, lots of new bits of road, bypasses and climbing lanes, much better than it used to be but still room for improvement, wouldn't put me off going anyway but the price would (y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I paid £99 each way with Irish ferries with 7 metre mh.
Left end of June and came back beginning of Sept.
They offered several routes for the same price at reasonable travel times.
I did holyhead to Dublin.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I paid £99 each way with Irish ferries with 7 metre mh.
Left end of June and came back beginning of Sept.
They offered several routes for the same price at reasonable travel times.
I did holyhead to Dublin.

was that a special deal or offer.. ?

just checked on Irish Ferry site , for next year, same period, 2 people 7mt van and it's aprox. £ 180- £200 each way , depending on times

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Crossed last week, cairnryan/Larne with DAF LF tilt and slide, 8.4 metres. Just turned up at the booth. Cost me £109 single. We do hold a freight account with them as we cross quite often... Used to be twice weekly when our place was bigger.... I think that price is before VAT, we claim/zero rate it.
If you are not bothered and travel at "odd" times and not weekends you can get back and forth at reasonable costs.

If you decide to go to NI then a wee stop at Jordanstown near Belfast is a good spot. only 6 spaces and security controlled barrier last time I was there but boy racers can be heard in the car park outside till around midnight.
Won't get in there now, it's full of Itinerants and they've thrashed the place.
Carrifergus still available, but at £21 inc EHU, it's quite expensive. Bus runs every 20 mins to city centre. Come west, tons of free places.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Thanks for that. We are thinking of going next year and this makes it affordable! Depending on family commitments we might even go in Spring :)

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Unfortunately there are no cheap fares with the various carriers Stenaline, P&O and Irish Ferries. It is an expensive stretch of water to cross, but well worth it. Look out for the various deals offered on occasions. Average cost £250/300 return.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Think we will go the freight route (double meaning intended). Our daughter can fly out and meet us in Dublin if she wants to come along :)

Heysham is probably easier to get to than Cairnryan as well.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Living in Dover make s for a very long trip to the scottish ports, Pembroke is the nearest and that is a long way, I ouught to go over from here to Calais but there are Johnny foreigners over there, I haven't been to France for 30 years either.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My wife has decided she wants to see Ireland and told be to get us over there. I looked at various site and they seem VERY expensive for a 7 metre+ van and I do not want to pay hundreds each way. There was an offer last year if you quoted code ICCC and it was for booking off busy season. Does anybody know of a similar offer coming next year?
Also where do you NOT stop and park up to be safe, obviously not the downmarket areas into Dublin but is everywhere else OK?
probably would wildcamp if there are not many site around and not stay in same place for more than a day.
the bogside or the falls road aria isn't to bad now honest:Eeek:

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
I would think the best route from Dover would be Fishguard or Pembroke to Rosslare in Southern Ireland - I have travelled that way en-route to France and back many many times. In May it would seem to be about £350 return so probable more in high season. With the sterling rate to Euro you should find things fairly good value over here. There are great sites along the South West coast and further up the West Coast - my favourite part of Ireland. Official Aires are fairly scarce but there are loads of opportunities to wild camp if that's your preference. You'd be very unlucky to be moved on unless you're in the centre of a town maybe. You'll find great pubs, restaurants and of course fantastic opportunities for outdoor activities. That's my bit for Irish tourism for this year There is an Irish Motorhome Forum - http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/index.php - lots of info there. Also http://www.camping-ireland.ie which lists all official campsites.

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
There are no "cheap" routes to or from the Emerald Isle, however, it's well worth a visit.
motorhomecraic is the site to subscribe to to get the map of where you can find to park up safely.
If you avail of Tesco points then this does greatly reduce the cost. Last year our return on the Larne Cairnryan route without Tesco vouchers would have been £369 for June/July.
Some of the Forest parks also allow camping if you did not always want to wild camp and these are not as expensive as the "sites" which are toooo expensive. But motorhomecraic is the site to look at.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We have Irish motorhome friends they use the Heysham to Warren point sailing and tell me included in the price is a cabin, meals and as much tea or coffee as you can drink. Vector this into the price and it makes very good value.

OP there are some very good campsites in and around the Warren Point area and it's just a few miles to the So Ireland border and cheap on diesel.

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
The ferry from Heysham to Warrenpoint seems a very long trip at about 8 hours against 4 on the Pembroke/Rosslare routes. I suppose it depends on whether you want to spend your time in Northern Ireland or just pass through on your way to Southern Ireland

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back