What do we HAVE to take (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
Going to Spain & France in van for first time.think this is what we need 2 triangles .2 vests.bulbs.first aid kit.headlight beam convertors.foil blanket.can anyone add anything else that we have to take or anything useful that would be good to take.thanks.

have to

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Fire extinguisher

Oh, and credit card !!!!!!!!!!!! (y);)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If using sites you rarely get grass pitch.. dirt and or sand is normal.. ,so a bit of cheap tarp to use as a groundsheet outside the hab door, helps keep the dust at bay .. six inch nails for pegs, and a 2lb lump hammer .. not joking, ground can be like iron..

EHU continental adapter . Broken Link Removed

Watering can for using when hose is too short and you don't want to move the van...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You have to carry a breathelyser, spelling?, at all times, so you need to carry two in case one gets used you still have one if stopped.
Has this started again , thought it had been scrapped.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Dog passport if you are taking the pooch

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Tap adaptors for the hose and if you want to be really prepared get a half inch male to male hozelock adaptor. I've only needed one once and that was on a French aire. Perhaps not essential but you can feel really smug watching others turn up and be unable to connect their hoses!

Would also endorse the idea of a ground sheet, we use a breathable one from GoOutdoors. Being breathable water doesn't puddle on it when it rains. Particularly good for sandy pitches. We also have a rubber door mat which is good when you don't want to deploy the ground sheet.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
An emergency tool kit is always handy, include duct tape and WD40 in that. We carry a Homebase toolkit, that fits in the recess under the drivers chair.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Tap adaptors for the hose and if you want to be really prepared get a half inch male to male hozelock adaptor. I've only needed one once and that was on a French aire. Perhaps not essential but you can feel really smug watching others turn up and be unable to connect their hoses!

Would also endorse the idea of a ground sheet, we use a breathable one from GoOutdoors. Being breathable water doesn't puddle on it when it rains. Particularly good for sandy pitches. We also have a rubber door mat which is good when you don't want to deploy the ground sheet.

Seconded. However Mr Smug here bought every size and shape in UK and then supplemented same with a brace from Monsieur Bricolage...still got to anotherwise brilliant aireat St Amand Montrond where I didn't have the right adapter. However, Monsieur from next pitch lent me his so all was well. (75, Paris regd van too so how about that:))

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think if you wear glasses, a spare pair, not sure how true this is.

Happy travels

Lynne
True for Spain, I just carry my previous pair. Useful to carry a spare even if it wasn't required by law, especially if you couldn't drive without them.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Never bothered with a ground sheet, if it gets wet, where do you put it? We have covered our step with Astro turf and also have an Astro turf mat.
Gorilla tape is handy to take.
Torches
Tube of super glue.
Portable radio ( stops your cab battery going flat) and spare batteries.
Usb leads for phones etc.
Toilet chemicals

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The AA is a bit out of date on this one. Friendly gendarme in Mametz village (whilst on my recent pilgrimage) told me three weeks ago that yes you should carry them but they won't take any action if you haven't got one. Mais oui, c'est La France!:D
Same as what the AA says, you should carry one, but you won't be fined if you don't.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Originals plus copies of all vehicle documents and passports.
We have a small 'idiot list' in the dash of emergency numbers for the different countries and a few stock phrases in the different languages.
Try and get a few euro coins together before you go or as soon as you can.
Be prepared to ENJOY YOURSELVES :):)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Reflective waistcoats in an immediately accessible place when bimbling along any road, just in case. (as many as are needed for each occupant of the vehicle)

I often wonder - since neither of ours have ever been out of their original plastic bags and even though where they are permanently kept is not in direct daylight - whether the cheapo plastic they are made of will have welded itself to itself - would they unfold enough to wear them and still serve their intended purpose?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Reflective waistcoats in an immediately accessible place when bimbling along any road, just in case. (as many as are needed for each occupant of the vehicle)

I often wonder - since neither of ours have ever been out of their original plastic bags and even though where they are permanently kept is not in direct daylight - whether the cheapo plastic they are made of will have welded itself to itself - would they unfold enough to wear them and still serve their intended purpose?
Good point, there is only one way to find out!

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
If you read the article it states:
"January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely."
The article has not stated any change regarding breathalysers since 2013. However, I did read somewhere that the idea was scrapped.
Yes I was agreeing that it has been scraped.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back