Spain - Roadside breakdown, a reminder (1 Viewer)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
It seems inevitable that El Trafico (Guardia Civil) will turn up, uncalled at most roadside breakdown events...... At least in my case they do, as happened yesterday after tyre blow out in our car.
In the process of changing tyre, sure enough, along came the Guardia who asked, "What's the problem?" (Must be a worldwide police thing). Seeing that the job was well in hand he and his partner began to direct traffic around the disabled car as we were in two way traffic.
Soon the job was done and the guys helped out by collecting the (mandatory) warning triangles. On returning one of them complimented me on the correct placement of the signs, and went on to say that few people do it properly....... Certainly not many foreigners. He then went on to provide the lengthy "infomercial" relating to roadsdide breakdowns, however caused, and his comments I pass on for what they are worth. This thread is not aimed at those already aware but at possible first timers taking to the excellent Spanish road network.

First thing. You must have two reflective warning triangles AND enough reflective jackets for all who MAY need to vacate the vehicle. If not enough jackets are available then anybody vacating vehicle without one must leave roadside to point of safety.
Second. If on motorway/dual carriageway then one triangle must be placed 50 metres behind car and the other 100 metres behind car.
Third. On roads with two way traffic one triangle must be placed 50 (ish) metres behind car (more if near bend), the other the same distance in front of the car but on the opposite side of the road facing oncoming traffic.
Apart from the mandatory triangles a number of other items are required to be carried.

Hope this is helpful

Bryan

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Very informative. Thanks. When I started reading your post I thought you were going to say that the Guardia slapped a parking ticket on your windscreen :LOL:

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Just a thought. Any similar rules/regs in UK nowadays? If not, why not ?
They seem quite reasonable precautions.

Bryan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just a thought. Any similar rules/regs in UK nowadays? If not, why not ?
They seem quite reasonable precautions.

Bryan
all here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/breakdowns-and-incidents-274-to-287

Rule 274
If your vehicle breaks down, think first of all other road users and

• get your vehicle off the road if possible
  • warn other traffic by using your hazard warning lights if your vehicle is causing an obstruction
  • help other road users see you by wearing light-coloured or fluorescent clothing in daylight and reflective clothing at night or in poor visibility
  • put a warning triangle on the road at least 45 metres (147 feet) behind your broken-down vehicle on the same side of the road, or use other permitted warning devices if you have them. Always take great care when placing or retrieving them, but never use them on motorways
  • if possible, keep your sidelights on if it is dark or visibility is poor
  • do not stand (or let anybody else stand) between your vehicle and oncoming traffic
  • at night or in poor visibility do not stand where you will prevent other road users seeing your lights
Additional rules for motorways (rules 275 to 278)
Rule 275
If your vehicle develops a problem, leave the motorway at the next exit or pull into a service area. If you cannot do so, you should:

• pull on to the hard shoulder and stop as far to the left as possible, with your wheels turned to the left
  • try to stop near an emergency telephone (situated at approximately one-mile intervals along the hard shoulder)
  • leave the vehicle by the left-hand door and ensure your passengers do the same. You MUST leave any animals in the vehicle or, in an emergency, keep them under proper control on the verge. Never attempt to place a warning triangle on a motorway
  • do not put yourself in danger by attempting even simple repairs
  • ensure that passengers keep away from the carriageway and hard shoulder, and that children are kept under control
  • walk to an emergency telephone on your side of the carriageway (follow the arrows on the posts at the back of the hard shoulder) – the telephone is free of charge and connects directly to an operator. Use these in preference to a mobile phone (see Rule 283). Always face the traffic when you speak on the phone
  • give full details to the operator; also inform them if you are a vulnerable motorist such as disabled, older or travelling alone
  • return and wait near your vehicle (well away from the carriageway and hard shoulder)
  • if you feel at risk from another person, return to your vehicle by a left-hand door and lock all doors. Leave your vehicle again as soon as you feel this danger has passed.
Laws MT(E&W)R reg 14 & MT(S)R reg 12

Rule 276
Before you rejoin the carriageway after a breakdown, build up speed on the hard shoulder and watch for a safe gap in the traffic. Be aware that other vehicles may be stationary on the hard shoulder.

Rule 277
If you cannot get your vehicle onto the hard shoulder

• do not attempt to place any warning device on the carriageway
  • switch on your hazard warning lights
  • leave your vehicle only when you can safely get clear of the carriageway.
Rule 278
Disabled drivers. If you have a disability which prevents you from following the above advice you should

• stay in your vehicle
  • switch on your hazard warning lights
  • display a ‘Help’ pennant or, if you have a car or mobile telephone, contact the emergency services and be prepared to advise them of your location.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The difference between the UK and Spain is in the UK such guidance is just that, guidance. In Spain and many places it is the law.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Conflicting advice between countries......who do you think is offering the best advice ?

SPAIN

If on motorway/dual carriageway then one triangle must be placed 50 metres behind car and the other 100 metres behind car.

UK

Never attempt to place a warning triangle on a motorway

My money is on the UK for two reasons

1.....its bloody dangerous

2......its illegal to walk on a motorway....even the hard shoulder.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Conflicting advice between countries......who do you think is offering the best advice ?

SPAIN

UK
But as its illegal to walk on a UK motorway it cant be seen as advice...its the law.

Not necessary to walk on motorway. My only experience of motorway breakdown in Spain saw me step over the crash barrier, walk along behind it,reach over at appropriate distance and put triangles in place. Returned to vehicle same way.

Bryan

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If that is the case, I'm not convinced it is, the law is crazy. It's far too dangerous to walk on high speed motorwayss and hard shoulders. IMO the UK advice is safer and no way would I put a triangle out on a Spanish motorway. Also I thought you only had to carry one triangle for Spain.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If that's the law for motorways. Best of luck crossing the motorway then for the oncoming traffic warning triangle. :)

Not necessary to walk on motorway. My only experience of motorway breakdown in Spain saw me step over the crash barrier, walk along behind it,reach over at appropriate distance and put triangles in place. Returned to vehicle same way.

Bryan

Triangle on opposite lane only applies to a normal 2 lane road.

Why would you place a triangle in the opposite lanes on a motorway.....which has a central divide usually with barriers.

The op stated....one 50mtrs back and one 100mtrs back on a motorway.
One 50mtrs back and one 50mtrs forward on the opposite side on a 2 lane N road

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My point was safety in Spain. Cannot comment on UK as no law in place re triangles it would seem so not an issue.

Bryasn
Spain will also have motorway regulations.
obviously they allow you to walk on the road to place triangles in an emergency as it is compulsory to place them.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
I have recounted only what I understood was being said to me yesterday but admit that, at times, my Spanish is not up to certain nuances, particularly faced with the Andalucian accent.
I will make it my business to find definitive information on this topic and publish it here in due course.
It is clear from contributions made to the thread that there are many doubters and non conformists out there and too many "I think", "I'm sure", etc. The thread is developing along the lines of that taken by the old perennial "the great A frame debate"
Sometimes it must be accepted that foreign law....... Is still the law and compliance cannot be a matter of choice.
More later, promise.

Bryan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back