Which free anti virus do you use? (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I've just got rid of my talkralk landline so now I have no antivirus software to use when im using other folks wifi through fon.

What free antivirus do you recommend for laptop and also tablet?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use McAfee and Malwarebytes on all of our machines.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Same here on all our PCs.
We used to use AVG until it started playing up some years ago (can't recall the details now). We still use it on Android devices though.
AVG used to cause my laptop to crash all the time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
MS Essentials for me too. Had Mcafee pre-installed on the new laptop but found it too invasive although to be fair I was struggling with Win8 at the same time before upgrading to Win10.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
When I got my iMac I was going to put AVG on it just in case I did something daft when I came across all these sites saying that AVG was now classed as spyware itself!
Apparently it sells your details to cover it's costs as the program is free
http://www.techeye.net/news/avg-spies-and-sells-private-data-to-advertisers

Because of this I installed Avast, it seems OK, just waiting to read that Avast is now spyware!

PS just read that Avast was doing similar stuff until last year but cleaned up its act. Seems you can't trust anyone!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I think a lot of anti virus software is more like 'bloatware' and slows down your 'puter and gives a lot of spurious warnings that only lead to further paranoia :rolleyes:

Common sense is a good form of anti virus :) (oh, and buying a Mac ;))

(hard hat on now and ducking for cover) :p

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
ms security essentials here as well,uninstalled mcafree had to enable windows defender afterwards.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert, I have been using it for years on the last 3 laptops plus the desktop without any problems. What version of windows were you using?
Hi Peter
It was Windows 7 professional on a Dell
The AVG we we using was the server based one

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Common sense is a good form of anti virus :) (oh, and buying a Mac ;))

Yes.. on both counts

It's common sense not to download free stuff, tool bars etc.. and unless you know the contents, don't open email attachments .. don't share on peer to peer networks.. mostly all common sense.. which isn't so common..
In saying that, hands up all who haven't (knowingly or unknowingly ) downloaded pirated software, movie or music album... but we take a risk, they can contain malicious scripts .. don't ask how I know..

Kids are the most vulnerable .. my daughters laptop was infested with malware, tool bars, 'free' games and loads of other stuff, much of it from places like FBook .. it that was slowing it right down.. took ages cleaning it.. :rolleyes:

Also have two Macs, with no protection.. but I'm not complacent.. they are just as vulnerable, up until recently it wasn't worth the hackers time targeting the relatively small OSX market.. but that is changing.. more and more people are using Apple products so they will become more attractive to attack..

Malicious Mac software is rare, but it does exist. Discover how to remove Mac malware for free with our guide to getting rid of malicious OS X software
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-remove-mac-malware-for-free-3594625/

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
One of things we Mac users need to be aware of is that we can transmit Windows viruses and other nasties without being away of it. One of the reasons I chose Sophos is that a it detects Windows viruses even when using OS X on the Mac, and also when using Parallels as well as potential Mac malware.

I also agree with @chockswahay that lots of anti-virus stuff is intrusive, unfriendly bloatware, whereas Sophos is very unobtrusive.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Peter
It was Windows 7 professional on a Dell
The AVG we we using was the server based one
I have had it on laptop and desktop. Both started with XP Pro and went on to Windows 7 Pro. But I was using AVG's free product with no problems, but it wasn't the server version and nor were the versions of Windows. That could be the difference I suspect.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back