Virtual Private Network (VPN) Software (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,

Currently a good deal on VPN software called PueVPN. A good friend has been using it for about year, not fantastically good with PCs i.e. not an IT professional and says support is great and it works well.
Broken Link Removed is the link.

It is the inevitable 'black Friday' deal and I have just signed up £40.00 for 2 years. If you are not sure what a VPN is, their website is quite helpful as it this wiki page link below. You can use the software on 5 devices which I think is a good deal. I have no relationship with the company just know I will want to use this when we are away next year and will use it in the house from now on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Once I have used it I would be happy to feedback if that is of use. Jenny & Mitch it is essentially a mechanism for creating a secure encrypted 'pipe' between your device and where ever you are connecting too. This is quite useful if you are using 'free' wifi and for example doing some online banking and is much more secure. The other advantage is that if you want to use Iplayer for example, by streaming across the internet, you would not be able to do this if say you were using the local camp site wifi. Why you ask? because Iplayer would know that your connection originated from say France and block the connection.

So by using a VPN you essentially 'con' Iplayer into thinking that your originating connection is in the UK and hence allows the connection to down load the content through your VPN (pipe). My interest is more the security side of things rather than watching catch up TV!

There will be people on this forum who are far more knowledgeable about this than I am but that is how I think of it!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Your understanding and description is correct. We have successfully used ExpatTV for several years now which provides us with a IP address which is deemed to be a UK IP address and therefore we can watch UK TV abroad. PureVPN seems like a good deal - we currently pay £5 each month that we need it. However, we can stop it and start it again any time we want.

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
This sounds what im looking for. Any idea how much data it would use for say 1hr of tv.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks for this sounds good value...maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain how it works, if it's a good choice, how easy is it to use at home if downloading as I am clueless:(

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If using a laptop and google chrome as your browser - an app called HOLA works the same and is free

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Thanks for this sounds good value...maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain how it works, if it's a good choice, how easy is it to use at home if downloading as I am clueless:(
I will have a go later today as have visitors this morning.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
It does but in some cases the channels from the UK get blocked regardless in Spain. The company I use covers them all ( see link ) and can be added to phones, laptops, ipads and best of all routers so you have nothing to do because as soon as any device connects to router it only see's IP address as UK. This works in my MH router as well.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We use Hotspot shieid elite which costs $30 a year, you can select which country's server to use, it can be very useful for navigating some sites which are blocked in other countries for copyright issues.
Cheers
Ed

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Be very careful out there. A VPN is not a charity and it needs to make money somehow ask yourself how, especially with the free ones. All of your Internet traffic goes through its servers which gives it the opportunity to capture and store your personal data and detail of websites you visit. There are a number of VPN's for iPhone which I have used when abroad, they are fine for watching TV as you are falling the service provider so it thinks you are in the UK just don't put anything through the VPN that might be sensitive for example if you are going to check your bank account turn the VPN off.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Clanjones and the Dude..
It does sound very good, but then some one comes on and utters a word of warning....
Still undecided..

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks Clanjones and the Dude..
It does sound very good, but then some one comes on and utters a word of warning....
Still undecided..

Sorry if my word of warning clouds your decision, all I am saying is there is nothing wrong with VPN's, they can be very useful, just don't blindly trust them with anything confidential.

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Hmm given that VPN connection in PureVPN is encrypted I am struggling to understand why it won't be more secure that just using an unencrypted free wifi connection which you know nothing about. That after all is the point. Here is another link for those that want to do a bit more reading. I'm off to play with setting up and I'll report back!
Broken Link Removed

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Those interested might find this useful. its about Onovo extend and Onovo VPN, with work the same way.

http://uk.pcmag.com/onavo-extend-for-iphone/18774/review/onavo-extend-for-iphone

The reason for my caution is the part in the description of this product in the app store, have a look. It plainly tells you that it receives and analyses information about your data and app use. If your ok with that, fine. I use it and haven't had any negative issues but I don't use it for internet banking. I just think people need to be aware, thats all. Some people have reported their internet connection slows down or their battery life suffers. I haven't experience that.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Surely ones that save a log of your activity makes it a bit pointless?

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I'm a bit of slow adopter of smart phones (call me a Luddite!) but I would never use my phone for banking transactions. More happy using my PC/laptop that I set up and monitor myself with antivirus software etc . I am always amazed at the amount of data google apps requires access too and people willingly accept the T&Cs! Consequently I try and remove as many as I can. Paranoid or what!

Quick update PureVPN for windows is simplicity itself to install and for accessing the web and home banking etc works absolutely fine. There is a but in that if you try and use it for Google and a few other services like Paypal these service detect where the request is coming from and it block access as it thinks it is a new address and some one is trying to hack your account. This is a known issue and there is a very easy way to fix (use a static IP address) which I am trying figure out if this is an extra cost or it is on option I haven't found yet! If you close the VPN down then Gmail works fine via the windows mail client ( This is not Gmail via the web haven't tried that - I will at some point.)

I will be trying it with FON (I have a FON router in the house) via my Linux netbook and I just know that it will be real fun setting it up !! (not 5 minutes anyway!)

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Surely ones that save a log of your activity makes it a bit pointless?

I don't think they save a log but I understand they analyse your data usage and app usage. They say to improve the service , I wonder if they then could pass details of what websites you visit to advertiser for targeted adds rather like google I suppose.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I use boxpn as suggested by JJ for 2 years now with no problems. €36 a year or €2.99 a month.
Just had an email to tell me that the recurring payment is just about to happen. Are these still ok to use or should I go to a free one? €2.99 a month is nothing to keep safe, if it is safe?

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
This is a known issue and there is a very easy way to fix (use a static IP address) which I am trying figure out if this is an extra cost or it is on option I haven't found yet!
Broken Link Removed.

Used PureVPN (without Fixed IP) in China, no problem accessing Google or YouTube.

You could use Tor, but speed not guaranteed.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...I am always amazed at the amount of data google apps requires access too and people willingly accept the T&Cs! Consequently I try and remove as many as I can. Paranoid or what
Try either the Ghostery browser or the Ghostery extension for your existing browser.
It blocks all data tracking apps embedded into webpages. It is configurable should you want to allow certain data loggers.
For example it has blocked 5 trackers on this very page... Facebook Connect, Twitter Button, Skimlinks, Google AdSense & Google Analytics!

It also has the great advantage of making websites load quicker as these (not so) little pieces of software are blocked.

Newspaper sites are the worst - with a dozen or more tracking cookies.

The only disadvantage, so far, is it also sometimes blocks some links posted on threads - for example on the freebie kindle books one, the Amazon links are blank. But if you get a blank pages its 2 clicks to turn Ghostery off temporarily... don't forget to turn it back on though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back