Where of to france 18/19 july any good places to go?? (1 Viewer)

D

david1234

Deleted User
Hi all we are of to france on the 18 july stay overnight in calais port then heading south to the gorge de verdon and the med then maybe spain or italy not sure, see where our wheels take us for 3 weeks,
any good places to visit for 2 kids wife and a moped was going to do aires and some campsites.
wanted beaches and water parks fishing etc etc any good ones anyone.

also any newbies worried about traveling france want to head down with us you are more than welcome must worn u we are like the family from the film RV ????:ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi David and clan

There are some good guides with stacks of info

- All The Aires France Vicarious Books
- Alan Rogers France gives all inspected campsites etc

Vicarious books also offer others

good luck

Larry

OP
OP
D

david1234

Deleted User
Hi David and clan

There are some good guides with stacks of info

- All The Aires France Vicarious Books
- Alan Rogers France gives all inspected campsites etc

Vicarious books also offer others

good luck

Larry

thanks guys,i have the Vicarious book, want some good campsites for the kids :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Where of to france 18/19 july any good places to go??

Oh lots of them.

>>
also any newbies worried about traveling france want to head down with us

And you're ones asking us where to go :)

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
We returned yesterday from our first trip to France went for a month. I can 100% recommend El der Re the island of La Rochelle. Take your cycles heaven for kids as well.:thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Just opened the latest CC Magazine (page 38) and there is an article in there about some new speed limits recently introduced in France, these limits may have an effect on UK travellers.

There is also some comment about vehicles having to display speed labels on the rear of their vehicle. 2 notices, one for 80Km and one for 90Km. They are only available from HGV sources in France

Also there appears to be some confusion about what the new law actually means, one organisation, the FFCC has their opinion and the FIA has theirs, if the 2 organisations can't agree on the interpretations how can we, the travelling public.

The CC magazine is advising that you travel at the lower speed limit (80Km) if your vehicle or combined vehicle and trailer exceed 3.5t. until they can get the law clarified.

Good write up on the Ile de Re and La Rochelle area, (page 50)

Hope this information is useful as we don't want Funsters being done for speeding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

david1234

Deleted User
>> Where of to france 18/19 july any good places to go??

Oh lots of them.

>>
also any newbies worried about traveling france want to head down with us

And you're ones asking us where to go :)

yes i know lots of places in france but as its so large do you know every part????:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
D

david1234

Deleted User
We returned yesterday from our first trip to France went for a month. I can 100% recommend El der Re the island of La Rochelle. Take your cycles heaven for kids as well.:thumb:
yes that looks nice we went right past it last year from spain but wanted to get to brittany quickish and didnt have time thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
yes i know lots of places in france but as its so large do you know every part????:ROFLMAO:

Good god no. We've camped ( Eurocamp ) twenty odd years ago. Visited by Bike. And lately visited by MH. We've not even scratched the surface.

BUT, we got diverted about 15 years ago by our first trip to Italy. Fell in love with the place so that France became a stepping stone into Italy.

So why don't you wander across the south of France, up to Turin then Maggiore. Try Cannero Riviera. If you don't fall in love with the place, sue me. Do the Borromeo Island of Isola Madre, the Scottish built gardens of Villa Taranto. Your life will be changed forever, I guarantee it.

OP
OP
D

david1234

Deleted User
Good god no. We've camped ( Eurocamp ) twenty odd years ago. Visited by Bike. And lately visited by MH. We've not even scratched the surface.

BUT, we got diverted about 15 years ago by our first trip to Italy. Fell in love with the place so that France became a stepping stone into Italy.

So why don't you wander across the south of France, up to Turin then Maggiore. Try Cannero Riviera. If you don't fall in love with the place, sue me. Do the Borromeo Island of Isola Madre, the Scottish built gardens of Villa Taranto. Your life will be changed forever, I guarantee it.

normaly head south of france narbonne area never realy stop only fuel then head to spain but italy sounds intresting just bought a zrx1200 like a lawson rep but modenish?? with intention of touring but have to use the motorhome as its wasted as it is.maybe when kids have gone me and misses will do on the bike? ill google earth some of the italy bits but we have only got just under 3 weeks and back again,
when we first done france we hated it no gps lost most of the time didnt know about aires etc,:Eeek: hence the newbie bit,

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just bought a zrx1200 like a lawson rep but modenish?? with intention of touring but have to use the motorhome as its wasted as it is.

I failed to say that our first trip to Italy was on a Yam FZ750 to see Foggy at Monza. So fell in love with Italy in Cannero at Hotel Cannero. After a few return visits we were greeted by the hotel owner as The Mad English on a motorbike. It's the only place we've every made so many return visits.

Now at 65 we sort of like the comfort of the MH but desperately miss the excitement of the bike. We've just done a few hundred miles on the VFR70 this year but we have the opposite dilemma to you. Do we use the bike and have thousands of pounds parked up at home ? I feel the need for a long blast when the frogs have gone back to work :)

Anyway - DO ITALY - trust me on this. Better on a bike, overtake an Italian car or two and they go into Death or Glory mode to keep up, great sport.

OP
OP
D

david1234

Deleted User
Anyway - DO ITALY Better on a bike, overtake an Italian car or two and they go into Death or Glory mode to keep up, great sport.

i must admit i get the right hump with car drivers try it on when on the bike, as they dont seem to get that there car realy hasnt got a chance,

im the same in the motorhome catch alot of cars out thinking there going to do a cheaky one of the lights or the cars that tail gate you in a straight line but when the twisty bits come you lose them:ROFLMAO:

bikers, drive a car/van ect very diffrent from a none biker never been happy as a passenger in a car unless they ride bikes most car drivers will never understand this and will never agree untill they ride then they get it:Doh: Dont you think??

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Dont you think??

I think the saddest thing of all is the biker who drives like a car driver. Sat there in a long queue at lights while I just potter safely to the front.

And the same overtaking. They just sit there, often on a hot bike in brand new leathers. Waste of space.

It never happens in Italy unless it's got a UK sticker on it.

One day we were going from Maggiore to Firenza and took the motorway south on a Saturday - big mistake. Fully loaded it was not good for filtering but within minutes we were educated by the Italians, who swept past on the hard shoulder. Mile after mile we went as the people fried in their cars. BRILLIANT. No one objected and when a bridge blocked the hard shoulder they just let us in. Biggest problem was heat, we ended up in shirt sleeves, like the cops, with our coats bungeed to the top box. Even then we were HOT so gave up going south at Rome, then cut across to Riccioni which is gorgeous.

Must do this in the MH.

skippy

Free Member
Mar 31, 2009
Spain among other places
Funster No
Exp
Just started out April 2009
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
Hi all we are of to france on the 18 july stay overnight in calais port then heading south to the gorge de verdon and the med then maybe spain or italy not sure, see where our wheels take us for 3 weeks,
any good places to visit for 2 kids wife and a moped was going to do aires and some campsites.

also any newbies worried about traveling france want to head down with us you are more than welcome must worn u we are like the family from the film RV ????:ROFLMAO:
If you are in Brantome area try Aires in centre of small town field behind carpark next to river fishing and kayaking on river well worth stopping Skippy

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Yes! Benodet, Brittany

Great, place, I lived on a site on the beach called 'Point Saint Gille' (not sure of exact spelling) I lived on there for about 8 months in the 80s & went back a few years ago, nothing has changed, still great and kid friendly - pools and evening entertainment and so on - can book online and may have to book now, as very popular site :thumb:

OP
OP
D

david1234

Deleted User
. Biggest problem was heat, we ended up in shirt sleeves, like the cops, with our coats bungeed to the top box. Even then we were HOT

like yesterday ended up in tea shirt,not happy riding like that but better than passing
out from heat :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
D

david1234

Deleted User
Great, place, I lived on a site on the beach called 'Point Saint Gille' (not sure of exact spelling) I lived on there for about 8 months in the 80s & went back a few years ago, nothing has changed, still great and kid friendly - pools and evening entertainment and so on - can book online and may have to book now, as very popular site :thumb:

just had a look google earth that looks nice, one to add to my gps i think:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006

Anywhere in France is good, we like the West Coast south of Royan down to Spain, plenty to do, water parks,giant sandune, lots of cycle tracks, surfing etc,etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back