Handy WD 40 scuff tip for those who dont already know (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I managed to scrape a post while doing a 6 point turn yesterday looked a right mess with paint from the post implanted around a large area of the front quarter of the bumper.
Had a glance on Youtube where they recommended WD40 to remove the paint. Called into Halfords got some WD40 and some T-cut. Just ten minuets of elbow grease and it looks like new, not a sign of any paint. Amazed......(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I managed to scrape a post while doing a 6 point turn yesterday looked a right mess with paint from the post implanted around a large area of the front quarter of the bumper.
Had a glance on Youtube where they recommended WD40 to remove the paint. Called into Halfords got some WD40 and some T-cut. Just ten minuets of elbow grease and it looks like new, not a sign of any paint. Amazed......(y)

I might get my wife a Xmas hamper of WD40 and T - cut for her car(y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sorry sir, our mechanic had a little bump in your car

Do not worry about it though, a drop of WD40 and some t cut and it will be as right as rain.

Broken Link Removed
Of course you are jesting Mr Jaws I think your example is a bit passed even the largest can of WD40. My own misfortune was just skin deep with the transfer of gray paint to my white paint. Plenty of it but no dents or major scratches.
Spraying the wd40 liberally onto the secondary paint lifted it like magic, it came off in lumps leaving just very minor imperfections to be Tcut into invisibility. ;)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Be careful using T cut, it contains Ammonia which isn`t good for paint work, Farecla G3 is far superior.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Be careful using T cut, it contains Ammonia which isn`t good for paint work, Farecla G3 is far superior.
Thanks...I did look at G3 in halfords today and was tempted but decided on Tcut as I thought it was better the devil you know. G3 had a number of products which I read all instructions but ended up confused as to which one to use so settled for Tcut.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
modern water based paints dont like t cut so i was told

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I do but I took it out to use at home recently and forgot to put it back.:)

I am a fulltimer and I have 3 cans. 1 in toolbox in back. small one in drawer in van and another in the cab. Proper men never buy WD40 because they have run out or forgot it They buy it just in case...:p:p:p

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Why wouldn't you have WD40 when you can buy handy van sized cans in Pound land :)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
T-cut has been around since Henry Ford was a lad.......why is it suddenly not good for paint, the very thing it was invented for.

Probably something thought up by a tree hugger.

Yes T cut has been around a long time, but it has always had Ammonia in it and thus isn`t and never has been a mates with car paint finishes.
It will cloud the paint, definitely don`t use on gel coats or fibre glass.
I do believe that T cut has brought out another product called Metallic best advice I can give would be go down to your local spray shop and see what they use.

Farecla comes in different products, G3, liquid and Paste, these are first stage cutting compounds, G6 for use on older paint finishes, and G10 is a fine abrasive compound.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The OP it seems is talking about residual paint he has picked up not damage or at least severe damage to his MH ? Any old polish or oil would remove that.

T cut is a vile petrochemical based product full of nasty ingredients . It has no place in today's products range which has many more far better alternatives.

Beware G6 and G6 are AOI polishes. Use them incorrectly and you can easily strike through lacquer . Bodyshops love G3 and G6 because they are AOIs..... Saves time and less stages.
The best products will not be found in body shops. Your local detailer will be the one to speak too if you want a predictable and correct polish for the specific application.

Not all paints are equal. Some are soft. Some are hard. Some are in the middle. Some are thick some are thin . It really is worth asking what it is exactly you need before spending money on quality polishes that are either to abrasive or not abrasive enough.

Take a wee look in the detailing section...... (y)

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If ever there was an overrated, overpriced and misused product, it’s WD-40. The name says it all – “Water Displacement, trial number 40”.

It’s made from petroleum distillates and designed to displace water.. it is not a good lubricant.

it’s good for cleaning off oil and grease.. and as the OP has discovered.. residual paint.

Spray it into a lock and it will only wash out any remaining lubricant .. a few days later the lock will have all but seized .

Spray it on tools.. and they eventually rust ..

As a lubricant, WD40 is little better than spraying with paraffin .. If you want an aerosol lubricant use a spray oil, such as Vaseline Spray or a silicone lubricant..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. To avoid disclosing its composition, the product was not patented in 1953, and the window of opportunity for patenting it has long since closed.[4][7] WD-40's main ingredients as supplied in aerosol cans, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

• 50% "aliphatic hydrocarbons". The manufacturer's website claims this ratio in the current formulation cannot accurately be described as Stoddard solvent, a similar mixture of hydrocarbons.[8]
  • <25% petroleum base oil. Presumably a mineral oil or light lubricating oil.
  • 12-18% low vapor pressure aliphatic hydrocarbon. Reduces the liquid's viscosity so that it can be used in aerosols. The hydrocarbon evaporates during application.
  • 2-3% carbon dioxide. A propellant which is now used instead of the original liquefied petroleum gas to reduce WD-40's flammability.
  • <10% inert ingredients.
The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety-relevant ingredients:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Gel coats will discolour if you use Tcut on them

One of the products I sell does what Tcut does but doesn't damage water based paints, GRP and Plastics. See here Broken Link Removed
I offer a discount for funsters, just message me on the forum

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think they are basically the same material and Farecla is available in more grades of Bricks than the T Cut is, Choose the fine grade and the will be little in it unless you buy your T cut in Halfrauds where it is dead dear to buy, in mug sized packaging.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
modern water based paints dont like t cut so i was told
I paint cars for a living, repairing dents and scratches in the main. Waterbase paint is only for the base coat ( Colour Coat ) Typically Metallics and Pearls. After that we still have to apply a couple of top coats of Clearcoat ( Laquer ) Which is a Urethane Two Pack product. T-Cut can in no way harm the waterbase underneath ( unless you have cut through the Clear Coat ).

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
I think they are basically the same material and Farecla is available in more grades of Bricks than the T Cut is, Choose the fine grade and the will be little in it unless you buy your T cut in Halfrauds where it is dead dear to buy, in mug sized packaging.

They absolutely aren`t the same thing at all, T cut has ammonia in it`s make up, Farecla doesn`t.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
WD40+Flowchart_ULT+FOR+WEBSITE_200dpi.jpeg

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Sorry sir, our mechanic had a little bump in your car

Do not worry about it though, a drop of WD40 and some t cut and it will be as right as rain.

Broken Link Removed
Oh, it does happen believe me.
Back in the 80's I was running a main dealer workshop. We used to do warranty & repair work for the Police Granadas.
One of our technicians managed to park a squad car backwards off a bypass after hitting some ice.
Made quite a mess & took some explaining !!
Barrie.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I thought T cut and Brasso were pretty much the same thing - its what I was told by mates who were car repairers years ago!

Wouldn't dare use either nowadays on modern cars or motorhomes!

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
I thought T cut and Brasso were pretty much the same thing - its what I was told by mates who were car repairers years ago!

Wouldn't dare use either nowadays on modern cars or motorhomes!

I dont use T-Cut either....but, modern paints are tougher and more scratch resistant to paint formulations of the past, T - Cut will NOT harm your paintwork;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back