Aussie and Japanese couple, now in London, planning our EU road trips! (1 Viewer)

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
I'm glad I found a UK motorhome site. We've recently arrived, and already I'm busy searching for a campervan to escape London and take us around Britain, and to the further reaches of the Continent.

We've had some great road trips around Australia (six months in a custom 4WD Mitsubishi Delica), and three months around Japan (also coincidentally in a Mitsubishi Delica).

I think this time we'll splash out a little and get something with a bathroom - maybe we're getting softer as we get older!

Anyway, looking forward to interacting with more of you as time goes on and we become more active

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi there - welcome to the 'fun house' ... :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Welcome! have a look in our classified section for vans for sale

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello check-in-minion.jpg

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to Fun, lots of information on here for you, :welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome, if coming to Scotland and need any help feel free to ask.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and to the further reaches of the Continent.

That would be Uelen Уэлен and we'll be avidly following you on line.

Now the question is, do you turn back or hop over to Alaska and return via New York ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I'm glad I found a UK motorhome site. We've recently arrived, and already I'm busy searching for a campervan to escape London and take us around Britain, and to the further reaches of the Continent.

We've had some great road trips around Australia (six months in a custom 4WD Mitsubishi Delica), and three months around Japan (also coincidentally in a Mitsubishi Delica).

I think this time we'll splash out a little and get something with a bathroom - maybe we're getting softer as we get older!

Anyway, looking forward to interacting with more of you as time goes on and we become more active

and a decent heater, this is the UK you know :rolleyes:

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the welcome messages everyone! For now we're just going to be doing a bit of research about different vehicles, about common mechanical faults, and things to look for (and to look out for!). We learnt that the hard way with the Mitsubishi Delica we bought for our previous journeys - fuel pumps and cracked heads in remote Australian locations make for expensive journeys!

I'm also keen to read more about how other people manage to free camp in Europe and UK. It was really simple in Japan and Australia, with lots of rest areas with 24 hour bathrooms, and public baths (in Japan) and truck stops with showers (in Australia).

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
:welc: sounds exciting:clap2:

See the link below - I have one for sale!
Hi, Stephen. Wow, what a beast! Sadly, that's (considerably) too large (and expensive!) for us! We're still young enough to be able to 'rough' it a little. We're looking to spend around £5000 - something more like this - https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/ads/1143883027

I just need to do more research about different base models and typical mechanical issues before I start getting serious about looking

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Good luck with your search. (y)
Whatever you get you've come to the right place for information. Enjoy looking and your travels.

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
OK, it took a while, but we finally found the right motorhome for us! It's LHD, it's sub-5m, it's Diesel, and it's LEZ compliant.

It's not much of a looker (let be honest), but it's clean and comfortable inside, and the pre-purchase inspection was happy with the mechanics of the vehicle.

Now, we've got to work out all the tricks to really use something like this, such as taking care of the Thetford Cassette toilet, the heating, and the fresh/grey water.

We've got two months to get it all ship-shape, and then we can go have fun in Europe. I've got a big list of electrical mods to make, and we'll give him a bit of a makeover inside/out.

View media item 21426View media item 21427

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Looks like you have yourself a nice van there, enjoy.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
OK, it took a while, but we finally found the right motorhome for us! It's LHD, it's sub-5m, it's Diesel, and it's LEZ compliant.

It's not much of a looker (let be honest), but it's clean and comfortable inside, and the pre-purchase inspection was happy with the mechanics of the vehicle.

Now, we've got to work out all the tricks to really use something like this, such as taking care of the Thetford Cassette toilet, the heating, and the fresh/grey water.

We've got two months to get it all ship-shape, and then we can go have fun in Europe. I've got a big list of electrical mods to make, and we'll give him a bit of a makeover inside/out.

View media item 21426View media item 21427
Lovely to see you have a van for your travels.it looks in wonderful condition for a vintage van.
Has he got a name?
Keep in touch with your travels!! And Enjoy!:)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and it's LEZ compliant.

Nice van but looks a touch old for low emissions. You also have to contend with various others all over Europe, spreading like a biblical plague.

My take on this is that you would not want to go where these low emission zones are with a MH. Too crowded. Stay outside, bus or train in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back