LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We have just invested in another Diblasi electric tricycle, which we bought from eBay. It still had the dealers documentation attached and was brand new. It is brilliant and is a twist and go, but not pedal assist.

Does anyone know the rules/laws in Spain regarding twist and go and is there any documentation I need to get to ride it in Spain?

Any advice gratefully received.

Ginny

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I N C O M I N G !

Done to death, though only for 2 wheels. Tales of fines if you twist and go. Huge fines if you don't have the non twist and go CE label. I'm thinking of screwing our twisty bits down for Spain just in case.

Mind you, Benidorm is full of 4 wheel twist and go vehicles.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We have just invested in another Diblasi electric tricycle, which we bought from eBay. It still had the dealers documentation attached and was brand new. It is brilliant and is a twist and go, but not pedal assist.

Does anyone know the rules/laws in Spain regarding twist and go and is there any documentation I need to get to ride it in Spain?

Any advice gratefully received.

Ginny
Ginny, you have more chance of getting stopped for crossing the road on your hands by the Police than you do getting stopped on your electric tricycle. If you go down into the centre of Benidorm and see how many people are using ebikes and disabled 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers all powered by battery and not a policeman in sight. Do you have a disabled blue badge? if so bring that the Police will run a mile...............
I had the lone of a modded ebike (45km top speed twist grip) the other week and passed loads of policeman in the city centre who never even give me a second glance.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ginny, you have more chance of getting stopped for crossing the road on your hands by the Police than you do getting stopped on your electric tricycle.

There has been one ( yes one we know of ) high profile case of a big fine for an ebike infringement.

So you now need to publish at least two cases of people being fined for crossing the road on their hands to justify your statement.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Be interested in reading the "fine for an ebike infringement" high profile case as google it and checked back copies of local papers and can find nothing. Can you send link?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Be interested in reading the "fine for an ebike infringement" high profile case as google it and checked back copies of local papers and can find nothing. Can you send link?

Just read an article about an e-Bike rider getting fined €2000 for not having insurance/documents for her E-Bike.
Non-Spanish residents get fined 'on-the-spot'.
Looks like this applies to all of Spain........maybe all of EU?
The article is on page 11 of the Costa Calida Informer dated 20/10/14 - 02/11/14 so it's current.

-----------------------------------

We have just heard a disturbing bit of news, it seems that an English woman has been fined 2000 Euros for not having an insurance certificate and registration documents with her when riding an electric bike in Spain, it seems that the original information came from The motercaravn's club, can anyone throw any more light on this

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I N C O M I N G !

Done to death, though only for 2 wheels. Tales of fines if you twist and go. Huge fines if you don't have the non twist and go CE label. I'm thinking of screwing our twisty bits down for Spain just in case.

Mind you, Benidorm is full of 4 wheel twist and go vehicles.
What's a CELabel please?

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Ginny, you have more chance of getting stopped for crossing the road on your hands by the Police than you do getting stopped on your electric tricycle. If you go down into the centre of Benidorm and see how many people are using ebikes and disabled 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers all powered by battery and not a policeman in sight. Do you have a disabled blue badge? if so bring that the Police will run a mile...............
I had the lone of a modded ebike (45km top speed twist grip) the other week and passed loads of policeman in the city centre who never even give me a second glance.

Thanks John, I thought it was a pedal assist, it was only when we got home we realised it was not pedal assist, just twist and go. Apparently it was bought as a disability scooter but never used.

We have a blue badge for Mike but not me yet, if I can find out exactly what I need, paper wise, maybe I can get it from DiBlasi, or the dealer in Hartlepool.

Hope you are both keeping well and we look forward to seeing you in the New Year.

Ginny

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What's a CELabel please?

Everything "put into service" in our glorious EU must carry a CE mark. Conform Europe. To say it complies with every European regulation applicable to it.

This is sometimes backed up by a Certificate of Conformity which is signed by a senior person in the manufacturing company.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Just read an article about an e-Bike rider getting fined €2000 for not having insurance/documents for her E-Bike.
Non-Spanish residents get fined 'on-the-spot'.
Looks like this applies to all of Spain........maybe all of EU?
The article is on page 11 of the Costa Calida Informer dated 20/10/14 - 02/11/14 so it's current.

-----------------------------------

We have just heard a disturbing bit of news, it seems that an English woman has been fined 2000 Euros for not having an insurance certificate and registration documents with her when riding an electric bike in Spain, it seems that the original information came from The motercaravn's club, can anyone throw any more light on this
Yes I read it and the lady in question was stopped in 2010 and was finned after pushing the issue, however the article fails to say when the fine was completed and also fails to say if any other cases have come to light.
I parked/locked my new eBike this evening outside our local police station here in the village to go into local shop and the local policeman looked at it stated nice bike and walk away. This is Spain after all..................
I will be asking a local eBike seller in the next few days about this issue. I'm personally happy enough to continue using mine across Spain.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Thanks John, I thought it was a pedal assist, it was only when we got home we realised it was not pedal assist, just twist and go. Apparently it was bought as a disability scooter but never used.

We have a blue badge for Mike but not me yet, if I can find out exactly what I need, paper wise, maybe I can get it from DiBlasi, or the dealer in Hartlepool.

Hope you are both keeping well and we look forward to seeing you in the New Year.

Ginny
We are indeed fine Ginny and look forward to seeing you perhaps in February. I will look into the issue with our local eBike shop and PM you in a few days.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Yes I read it and the lady in question was stopped in 2010 and was finned after pushing the issue, however the article fails to say when the fine was completed and also fails to say if any other cases have come to light.
I parked/locked my new eBike this evening outside our local police station here in the village to go into local shop and the local policeman looked at it stated nice bike and walk away. This is Spain after all..................
I will be asking a local eBike seller in the next few days about this issue. I'm personally happy enough to continue using mine across Spain.
Everything "put into service" in our glorious EU must carry a CE mark. Conform Europe. To say it complies with every European regulation applicable to it.

This is sometimes backed up by a Certificate of Conformity which is signed by a senior person in the manufacturing company.

Thanks Brian, I will get onto Diblasi tomorrow now I know what to ask for.

Ginny

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We are indeed fine Ginny and look forward to seeing you perhaps in February. I will look into the issue with our local eBike shop and PM you in a few days.

Malc and Anne went home today after staying with us for a few days and we have been planning our hols, and meeting you both again is top of the itinerary !

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year

Ginny

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I read somewhere that in the next couple of years there may be an EU ban on twist n go bikes meaning only pedalec versions will be legal throughout Europe and our government are actively involved.
Also seen this on a couple of cycling forums if you look for the info.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm personally happy enough to continue using mine across Spain.

You are probably dead right doing this but Ginny asked "the rules/laws" and now she has them.

I parked/locked my new eBike

So where did you buy this ? If on mainland Europe then it should comply.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What's a CE. Label please?
CERTIFICATE OF CONFORMATITY

Will be label and stamp on frame IF bike a legal pedal assist only. Agree in places like Benidorm the risk negligible as you see all sorts there. Risk rises cycling between towns where you may bump into traffic police..

Its an individuals choice to be honest...as long as prepared to live with the consequences if things go wrong. FGrom what i remember about the 2000€ case. it went to court and even on appeal she lost

shops can sell what they want..its the use that is illegal. you can buy high speed e bikes in the UK that are legal in Germany s long as registered but not herr..but shops continue to sell them:censored:

article re EPAC regs
http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulations/artikel/2009/3/new-epac-standard-for-safe-e-bikes-1018518

Subject been done to death........ :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
You are probably dead right doing this but Ginny asked "the rules/laws" and now she has them.

It was bought from a bike shop in Hartlepool, all the information was still attached to the tricycle when we bought it.

Ginny

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp

Brian, both our eBikes were bought here in Spain from BH Bikes: http://www.bhbikes.com/index.php
The bike not display a CF sticker, but I do have a certificate from them which I have waterproofed and shoved up the seat post. I'm going Saturday to see the manager and get some answer's for Ginny. I ask our local policeman last night about eBikes and he looked at me like I had two heads........ but the local police in Spain are more interested in helping children across the raod at school time.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Brian, both our eBikes were bought here in Spain from BH Bikes: http://www.bhbikes.com/index.php
The bike not display a CF sticker, but I do have a certificate from them which I have waterproofed and shoved up the seat post. I'm going Saturday to see the manager and get some answer's for Ginny. I ask our local policeman last night about eBikes and he looked at me like I had two heads........ but the local police in Spain are more interested in helping children across the raod at school time.

And what a pleasure it is to see Benidorm police outside school gates calming traffic and assisting at crossings..while all our lot do is hand out fines for minor traffic indiscretions

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Can anyone post a picture of the CE plate they have on their eBike as the dealer here in Spain as never seen one before and I cannot find one on line to show him. What he states is the printed EC Declaration of Conformity document I have is all that is needed. Thanks

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can anyone post a picture of the CE plate they have on their eBike as the dealer here in Spain as never seen one before and I cannot find one on line to show him. What he states is the printed EC Declaration of Conformity document I have is all that is needed. Thanks

I can but it will be a week as have to turn bike over and have just had a wrist operation last week:cry:

Its on underside of frame

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I can but it will be a week as have to turn bike over and have just had a wrist operation last week:cry:

Its on underside of frame
Interesting as I have been reading all day on this subject and they require the sticker/plate to been seen easily!:whistle:
Thanks none the less I'm hoping someone can post a picture before Saturday as I have a meeting with his boss on Saturday morning about this subject. The biggest problem is the language between us....... my poor Spanish and his poor English, but I will get to the bottom of this. I took my certificate (printed paper) into police general station (police with big guns) in Alicante this afternoon and spoke to a police woman (great english) and she said she has never seen one before! and has seen loads of eBikes around Alicante of which she has no problem with as long as they don't break the law!! - What a can of worms..............................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back