Sep 28, 2015
Northwich
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
1 year
Hi
Struggling to find a site for 1st & 2nd Jan in Lakes walking distance to a town? They all seem to have 3-5night mins stays on them. Were new to this so any advice appreciated

OP
OP
moonbeam

moonbeam

Free Member
Sep 28, 2015
Northwich
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
1 year
Thanks but the site looks great but has a 5 night min!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
moonbeam

moonbeam

Free Member
Sep 28, 2015
Northwich
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
1 year
Dont think were confident enough yet for wild camping would worry that we were parked in wrong place!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
hi.
Stopped at a "C.L" just short of Kendal about three years ago,did not walk into town,but in the car it was 5 Mins. If this is any good,will try and seek it out on the web page,on a farm,nice walks from the farm,and good access.
Tea Bag

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi Moonbeam.
Will have to ring a mate tomorrow,cannot recognise it from the "C.L" location/name chart,but he ran a Rally there at the time.
Tea Bag

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We stayed at a site at Ravenglass which had. 2 might minimum. We only wanted 1 night as it was half way to our destination. There was a large car park behind a pub where 3 vans had parked up. It was just as good as the site we were on. Closer to the pub obviously and closer to the beach and amenities. It may be on that Britstops site ? So less than half the cost and no minimum stay policy .
Having a 5 night policy is just daft. Specially this time of the year . But what do we know .........

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Scotgate holiday park in Braithwaite village is nice, couple of nice pubs in the village and a nice 2 mile walk into Keswick.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
A lot of pubs will let you overnight as long as you have meal/drink in their pub.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Dont think were confident enough yet for wild camping would worry that we were parked in wrong place!
I suspect wild camping in the Lake District would be a high risk sport, but you might be OK somewhere on the coast.

As for campsites, it's New Year so restrictions likely to be in place at popular spots. The answer is obvious - go for five nights! :)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I suspect wild camping in the Lake District would be a high risk sport, but you might be OK somewhere on the coast.

As for campsites, it's New Year so restrictions likely to be in place at popular spots. The answer is obvious - go for five nights! :)

5 nights could be way more than we for instance want to stay.

We have family up in Scotland. My wife has a disability so we have to stop very very often when en route. This is because she cannot sit in a seat for very long. So we stop often so I can get her out so she can move around . Typically we stop have cuppa and of again . But we cannot do the whole trip in one day. It's just not possible .
So we stay one night and pay for two. This I can stand and afford. To have to pay for 5 nights or even three makes it not doable . Sorry if it sounds tight but there are the facts .

The very reason we bought a motor home was for the flexibility if should give us. Without it we would have to travel so far then go into a hotel . But then it's having a bed that suits a person with such a disablement .

My point is if these 5 night stays become the norm the flexibility will be lost and we loose our way of combatting the travel problem.

Plus the sites will surely loose business ?

If I go shopping for a pair of jeans I don't expect to have to buy 5 pairs ..... (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
5 nights could be way more than we for instance want to stay.

We have family up in Scotland. My wife has a disability so we have to stop very very often when en route. This is because she cannot sit in a seat for very long. So we stop often so I can get her out so she can move around . Typically we stop have cuppa and of again . But we cannot do the whole trip in one day. It's just not possible .
So we stay one night and pay for two. This I can stand and afford. To have to pay for 5 nights or even three makes it not doable . Sorry if it sounds tight but there are the facts .

The very reason we bought a motor home was for the flexibility if should give us. Without it we would have to travel so far then go into a hotel . But then it's having a bed that suits a person with such a disablement .

My point is if these 5 night stays become the norm the flexibility will be lost and we loose our way of combatting the travel problem.

Plus the sites will surely loose business ?

If I go shopping for a pair of jeans I don't expect to have to buy 5 pairs ..... (y)
My five nights comment was tongue in cheek but sites don't put restrictions like this in place if it didn't make business sense. If they can fill their site with folk staying five nights that is better for them than having people coming for one or two nights over New Year then departing. Similar restrictions apply not uncommonly over bank holidays and August at popular sites.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My five nights comment was tongue in cheek but sites don't put restrictions like this in place if it didn't make business sense. If they can fill their site with folk staying five nights that is better for them than having people coming for one or two nights over New Year then departing. Similar restrictions apply not uncommonly over bank holidays and August at popular sites.
I agree fully and accept it... But I cannot or will not ever subscribe to it...

Places that operate policy's that are impractical or just as in this case completely uneconomical will never get our money. I am happy to pay for two nights when we only stay for one but 5 is never going to hsppen. It is no exaggeration to say that if this becomes the norm we would consider throwing in the motor homing towel .

My worry is this minimum policy Will just get more the norm than not. That would make the whole caper unaffordable for many.

Being new here help me. Is this kind of policy adopted in Europe . Having only been once I can't remember ? We stopped at one site in France as we made our way south. We paid for only one night. The other stays were for several nights so the question never arose.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Seems sometimes we suggest this as a solution to all site queries... but what about Britstops ???
#628-633 are not far off the M6 Kendal to Penrith (2 are farmshops) but I don't know about walking into town.
Steve @BritStops has a special offer on at the moment, if you're not already a member.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
This is the one i mentioned earlier,worth a try.
Mrs Strickland
Grate Farm
Heslington
Kendal
Cumbria Phone 01539723977
Tea Bag

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Being new here help me. Is this kind of policy adopted in Europe . Having only been once I can't remember ? We stopped at one site in France as we made our way south. We paid for only one night. The other stays were for several nights so the question never arose.

No, Charlie, it isn't the norm over here in France. Before we were permanently domiciled here we wandered from aire to municipal to commercial site as our requirements developed. Now, apart from the occasional rally which might use a site at the beginning or end of season, or even when the site is officially closed, we rarely use commercial sights. However, I have never come across a minimum night requirement anywhere in France.

Hang on to that motorhome!

J

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
This is the one i mentioned earlier,worth a try.
Mrs Strickland
Grate Farm
Heslington
Kendal
Cumbria Phone 01539723977
Tea Bag

Hi. Sorry!
Mates wife is Dyslexic,so....... 1. It is........ Helsington and 2. It shuts in October.
Sorry about that,but hey ho,one to look at another day.
Tea Bag
PS. Phone number was right.LOL

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Scotgate holiday park in Braithwaite village is nice, couple of nice pubs in the village and a nice 2 mile walk into Keswick.
Another for Scotgate, used to work there so bit biased. 3 pubs in village, bus stop outside site to Keswick stops at booths supermarket. Alternate nice path walk in. He used to have minimum stay but is very popular and could be booked up.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
No, Charlie, it isn't the norm over here in France. Before we were permanently domiciled here we wandered from aire to municipal to commercial site as our requirements developed. Now, apart from the occasional rally which might use a site at the beginning or end of season, or even when the site is officially closed, we rarely use commercial sights. However, I have never come across a minimum night requirement anywhere in France.

Hang on to that motorhome!

J

Thank you ! Another question if I may... We have the "All the aires book " Acsi and so on but is there a book that shows where the municipal sites are ? I feel this would be very useful !

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Charlie,
A wildcamp of mine in the lakes, stayed two nights and no trouble, ideal for a cup of tea (y)

Norman.
106.jpg

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Thank you ! Another question if I may... We have the "All the aires book " Acsi and so on but is there a book that shows where the municipal sites are ? I feel this would be very useful !

I don't know of a book of sites, but there is a web site http://www.camping-municipal.org/index.htm which list a lot. Sadly, it is unlikely that the site will be updated as there is a message posted there which says the originator of the site passed away earlier this year just three days before his 50th birthday.

There are a fair number of web sites which offer the same sort of listings, just google - campings municipaux - to check them out. Some, like the link I have provided. will have the facility for a language selection.

J

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun