Which adhesive do I use? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I unfortunately reversed my Rapido 9066 into a tree and put a 2” crack in the rear white decorative plastic shroud which covers the corner of the motorhome. Rather than having it repaired I have decided to adhere a reflector over it which I don’t think will look amiss, in fact two reflectors one on the other side to mirror the other. The question I need to ask the more experienced DIY Funsters is which is the best white flexible adhesive to use for the job. Thanks in advance.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've used Airfix type glue and stuck a patch at the back. The worst problem is finding the same kind of plastic - that also melts with that glue.
The only thing I've found up to now is an old piece of Swish curtain track - it seems to be the same kind of plastic and melts together a treat.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Sikaflex seems to stick anything to anything else. Might be your best bet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you are going to cover it up anyway with a reflector or two, you could try repairing it with a soldering iron, just run the clean hot tip into the crack and smear any molten plastic over the crack, you could even shave a bit of plastic from an edge somewhere out of sight and use this as a filler. You never know when its all cleaned up and polished you might not even need the reflectors.

Oh, answer to your question Sikaflex would be fine but lots of reflectors come with double sided on the back anyway.

Martin

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you are going to cover it up anyway with a reflector or two, you could try repairing it with a soldering iron, just run the clean hot tip into the crack and smear any molten plastic over the crack, you could even shave a bit of plastic from an edge somewhere out of sight and use this as a filler. You never know when its all cleaned up and polished you might not even need the reflectors.

Oh, answer to your question Sikaflex would be fine but lots of reflectors come with double sided on the back anyway.

Martin
Thanks Martin

In truth if I had it repaired I would have it professional done, although small it would need both plastic welding and filling. I will ultimately have it done I am sure but will settle for a reflector for now.

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've used Airfix type glue and stuck a patch at the back. The worst problem is finding the same kind of plastic - that also melts with that glue.
The only thing I've found up to now is an old piece of Swish curtain track - it seems to be the same kind of plastic and melts together a treat.
Thank you, I don't think it would work on this small damage but what you suggest is good for the future

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I unfortunately reversed my Rapido 9066 into a tree and put a 2” crack in the rear white decorative plastic shroud which covers the corner of the motorhome. Rather than having it repaired I have decided to adhere a reflector over it which I don’t think will look amiss, in fact two reflectors one on the other side to mirror the other. The question I need to ask the more experienced DIY Funsters is which is the best white flexible adhesive to use for the job. Thanks in advance.
I did a similar thing to my rear lighting shroud, took it off , de greased it, cut a strip of fibreglass, bonded it to the back of the crack (strengthening it) plastic filler to the crack, flat down with 200 paper, aerosol spray to colour that was two years ago..job done.....£150 if a bodyshop had done it

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
use clear stixal from tool station every bit as good as sika under half the price available in white as well

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back