Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
What are the best Christmas markets in the UK.

I read they hold one at Winchester and another in Bath that are said to be good. We did the London one in Hyde Park, never again, it was packed :eek:.

Also do you know of any good illumination events, I know about Longleat and there is a good one at Kew gardens in London but I only know of the ones around the South East.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Lincoln has a really big Xmas market, runs from Thursday to Sunday, not sure f this years dates, but it dies get very busy

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Here is an annual Christmas Market that runs in North Northumberland - it's this Sunday.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
We have been to the Birmingham one a few years ago that was quite good. Edinburgh is good but not been to that for a good few years and in the south a trip to Brugges is always good
Neil

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
There is one at Lincoln,every one i spoke to that had been loved it,i had let my imagination go into overdrive before arrival...... Bad mistake,it was not for me,but hundreds of people were loving it,give it a go at least you will have seen it and if you like it,go again.
Tea Bag
PS. just read the post about the B/ham one. We went to a "Light show ?" at Walsall some years back,now that was good.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Edinburgh one is set up now. Just been to the Glasgow one, and it was busy on Sunday with a good atmosphere.
Charlie

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I was at the Birmingham one today, all the same stuff but the drink is good if not a little expensive!

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
manchester is a massive one, although it was packed full when we went 2 years ago,had to walk everywhere sideways. Leeds is the same... had to laugh though a friend who knows someone with a stall was selling stollen cake (or whatever its called) for a fiver,,,he was buying it at Aldi for £1 or thereabouts and removing the wrapper. made a fortune.

Its Brugge for us this year.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Bury St Edmunds this weekend, went last year as well and its very good.

Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
he was buying it at Aldi for £1 or thereabouts and removing the wrapper. made a fortune.
That's the problem with the UK.

Most of the tat at Christmas markets can be bought for far less at regular outlets.
Would be far more enjoyable without the 500% mark up.

But..... I suppose as long as there's a punter who is prepared to pay they will continue to rip folks off.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hi.
PS. just read the post about the B/ham one. We went to a "Light show ?" at Walsall some years back,now that was good.
The lights were at Walsall Arboretum - been going since before I was born I believe! You'll have missed it though. Walsall Council have confirmed it's stopped for good and last I heard earlier this year, they were busy selling off those lights they owned. Sad.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Edinburgh one is set up now. Just been to the Glasgow one, and it was busy on Sunday with a good atmosphere.
Charlie
Thanks Charlie. Never knew it was up and running now. Must have a look at the weekend.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We went to the Lincoln one in 2006 (first year we had the van). Never again, the place was absolutely rammed and it was impossible to actually get to some of the stalls.
That's the problem with the UK.

Most of the tat at Christmas markets can be bought for far less at regular outlets.
Would be far more enjoyable without the 500% mark up.

But..... I suppose as long as there's a punter who is prepared to pay they will continue to rip folks off.
That was another thing we found at Lincoln, and at others like York and the far smaller Christmas markets in Stockton in the past.

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Salisbury and Bath have Xmas markets and I went to the Festival of Light at Longleat at the weekend and really enjoyed it. Bath's market is bigger than the Salisbury one but you could take in both.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Bury St Edmunds this weekend, went last year as well and its very good.

Martin
Love Bury St Edmunds. We often shop there in preference to horrible Cambridge.
Bury has a huge range of cafés and restaurants and some cracking individual shops.
In addition the Abbeygardens Long Stay car park has some motorhome spaces and it's just £2.30 for the day.
Went a couple of weeks ago and had a super lunch at Pea Porridge - see TripAdvisor.
Going on Saturday for a look at the Christmas Market = even though I hate Christmas.:whistle:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Bury has a huge range of cafés and restaurants and some cracking individual shops.
In addition the Abbeygardens Long Stay car park has some motorhome spaces and it's just £2.30 for the day.
Went a couple of weeks ago and had a super lunch at Pea Porridge - see TripAdvisor.
Going on Saturday for a look at the Christmas Market = even though I hate Christmas.:whistle:

Might see you there, 9 of us are staying on the British Sugar car park with permission(y)

Martin

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
For anyone looking, the car park you refer to is called Ram Meadow and it as the rear of the Abbey Gardens
Chris

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We went to festival of lights at longleat had a lovely time stayed on cc site .we are also going to bath christmas market and staying at bath marina yes expensive yes its busy but its Christmas.

Reactions: SOS
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
manchester is a massive one, although it was packed full when we went 2 years ago,had to walk everywhere sideways. Leeds is the same... had to laugh though a friend who knows someone with a stall was selling stollen cake (or whatever its called) for a fiver,,,he was buying it at Aldi for £1 or thereabouts and removing the wrapper. made a fortune.

Its Brugge for us this year.
That's why it's called Stollen cake

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back