Feb 15, 2009
Wokingham, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Hi does this sound sus to you?

Last Friday I closed the front gates and then spotted a small white sticker on the motorhome wing mirror with a hand written type of code, it must have been put there in the last five days.
Today Friday again! I get a ring at the door, traveller type asked if I want to sell the motorhome!!

Did he come to check if anyone was at home? Did he come to check out security?

I have reported both incidents to the Police.

What do you think?

Tony

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Either suspect or they put a new mirror on your van. My new mirror had exactly the same sticker! No traveller tho'.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
very wise move.......

its usual for professional thieves to 'mark' cars for 'removal' to order.

never experienced it but its a well known way for them to get the right one.

dont know what security you have but id double it.

OP
OP
cobmonster

cobmonster

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
Wokingham, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
very wise move.......

its usual for professional thieves to 'mark' cars for 'removal' to order.

never experienced it but its a well known way for them to get the right one.

dont know what security you have but id double it.

Thanks, am I right to believe that you have to have a key to be able to start the Fiat and are not able to hot wire them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, am I right to believe that you have to have a key to be able to start the Fiat and are not able to hot wire them.

correct.....there is a transponder in the key which disarms the immobiliser, but it could be towed away if a plain blank key is cut and used to undo the steering lock.

the old generation diesels could be started with one piece of wire and a bit of steel bar or screw driver or spanner in the engine bay or, time permitted, just a spanner.

nuf sed about that though.:Doh:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Go on Pappa, spill you guts. Try and get a bit more detailed though :roflmto:

Cheers
Jim
:Smile:

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
Could you see the sticker from the road? If so you're definately right to be suspicious. If you can't well I'm not so sure, I'd have thought criminals would only use tags if they were visible to their friend passing by. Travellers have been knocking at my parents door on and off for the last couple of years asking if they want to sell their van. My parents always say no and the van's still there. I hope they don't bother you again though.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Go on Pappa, spill you guts. Try and get a bit more detailed though :roflmto:

Cheers
Jim
:Smile:

wire from battery + to fuel cutoff selonoid and spanner across starter seloniod......
spanner alone.....remove cutoff selonoid plunger and refit cover......wont turn off though, got to stall it.
i never said that, did i?:Eeek::Doh::Blush:

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Theft

As a rule, they tend to nick caravans for their own use or for resale, not motorhomes, as they are not 'ID'd' in the way that MH & cars are. Its much easier to strip a caravan of any legal ID (no engine numbers & so on). However, I do see them towing their caravans sometimes with MHs but they are usually old ones so am guessing they have paid for them as who would nick an old one!

The above said, I still would not trust them as far as I could throw them! So I would keep an eye out, the house as well! :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would be very suspicious. You might like to read the link below which relates to house burglary. My neighbour, who is involved in security, mentioned this practise to me only the other day.

Philip

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would be very suspicious. You might like to read the link below which relates to house burglary. My neighbour, who is involved in security, mentioned this practise to me only the other day.

Philip

Link Removed

just as i said....:thumb:

A police spokesman said: "This is a well-known technique used by travelling criminals as a way of highlighting certain properties to their criminal associates.

OP
OP
cobmonster

cobmonster

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
Wokingham, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Could you see the sticker from the road? If so you're definately right to be suspicious. If you can't well I'm not so sure, I'd have thought criminals would only use tags if they were visible to their friend passing by. Travellers have been knocking at my parents door on and off for the last couple of years asking if they want to sell their van. My parents always say no and the van's still there. I hope they don't bother you again though.

Hi the sticker was visible from the road as it was on the back of the mirror. Had other travellers cruising last night also. I wont lose sleep over it but have added more security.:Smile:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
As a few funsters on here know I'm an ex soldier, and this "sticker" was a ruse used by the" opposition" in Ulster, obviously HMF used plain unmarked vehicles for certain "activities".
One soldier noticed that a few cars and vans had little white stickers on the mirrors obviously placed there by people sympathetic to the "CAUSE" in Ulster as certain HMF locations had civvies working there
Had it not been for the vigilance of this soldier a lot more vehicles would have been shall we say "targetted" by certain individuals in the province.

I've worded it this way so as not to upset any one all I can say is vigilance is needed and a sign in the window that says...I HAVE A SHOTGUN AND A SHOVEL!!!

May 22, 2008
Funster No
My mates Motorhome was stolen from outside his flat,and he informed the police within ten minutes of it going,they were not interested except to give him an incident number,he was paid out by his insurance company,but as with all claims he was out of pocket.Almost a year to the day that the van was stolen he had a call from Police in Ireland telling him his vehicle had been found with several others in a Gypsy camp in Ireland,he of course told them he had no further interest in the van as it now belonged to the Insurance company.he had forther calls from the Irish Police about the van,but never had one from the English Police at any time.so don't expect much help from our Police if your van goes missing. :Eeek::Eeek:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Shocking! Our local policeman is great but I think most are too overwhelmed with paper form filling,hitting targets and fulfilling initiatives to have time to do their detective work.:Sad:
Lucille

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
travellers

i have had them knock on my door and asked if van was for sale it made me suspicious too just rig security lights and camera s up
:thumb:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
unfortunately motorhomes are being used by the gypos nowadays, there are a group that keep going onto a playing field in the next town, and each time they get on, there are more motorhomes and less caravans.

apparantly in ireland something has changed to make it harder for them to use caravans on their sites, so they now use motorhomes, hence why most stolen motorhomes end up in ireland,

winchman

Free Member
Jul 9, 2009
Funster No
If you know what you are doing you can buypass all security but it takes skill and time.
The lads with 4x4s fit a manual valve in the fuel line and turn it off so even if they can start it it wont drive far and is often abandoned in the street as it stalls due to lack of fuel. Also fit a well hidden isolation switch to the lights so if the do take it they stand out to the police as its got no lights on, I have seen this done so unless you flick the switch the horn comes on when you switch the lights on.
The simple thigs are often the best, but if they want it thats what insurance is for, dont get too hung up on it just be cautious

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The simple things are often the best, but if they want it that's what insurance is for, don't get too hung up on it just be cautious

Now there speaks a man in tune with reality.

I once said to a guy who had had his car nicked "it's a car, don't get stressed out, buy another". It was a bog standard newish car. He went ballistic.

Long long ago, when I was in the burglar alarm business and was casing a joint, I said to the middle aged woman owner, "what magnificent woodwork, you must be proud of this" ( solid oak staircase ) and she replied "Oh no, don't let your possessions possess you". Wise old bird, now gone up the great staircase in the sky.

winchman

Free Member
Jul 9, 2009
Funster No
Now there speaks a man in tune with reality.

I once said to a guy who had had his car nicked "it's a car, don't get stressed out, buy another". It was a bog standard newish car. He went ballistic.

Long long ago, when I was in the burglar alarm business and was casing a joint, I said to the middle aged woman owner, "what magnificent woodwork, you must be proud of this" ( solid oak staircase ) and she replied "Oh no, don't let your possessions possess you". Wise old bird, now gone up the great staircase in the sky.
Well said Brian
The important things in life arnt things

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Friend recently had his stolen off the front drive during the night, older van but fitted with alarm, extra locks etc, did not hear a thing, Police attended explained that its common practice to use a low loader and that the van could be in Ireland within 24 hours:Angry: Never did get it back but eventually insurance paid out (less than insured for, theres a suprise:RollEyes:). Now has a replacement that is nicer than the one taken::bigsmile:

I have had chalk marks on the gate post and once on the car, I used different coloured chalk to put a large X over the mark, to show I had seen the mark knew what it was (in reality have no idea) and had taken steps, the marks occassionally appear on neighbours houses but never had one since.

Regards Colin

carlandflo

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt(s)
Exp
Since 1973...
3 years ago we had our Royale stolen from a CL in Surrey.
We knew it was local gypos - as said before, the police didnt want to know - just gave a crime number....
Insurance paid up (after nearly 4 months) but not as much as what it was worth (nothing new there then!!)

Almost 12 months to the day later, we had a call from a detective in the Irish Police saying that our van had been found - with false Irish plates (Itinerant had tried to make a false insurance claim for a fire in the engine.......got 'im!!).

We helped the Officer with statements etc. so that he could prosecute the scumbag. All was set for a showdown in Court.........

Guess what - the judge threw out the case and gave the van back to the ******* because...........................THE INSURANCE COMPANY COULDNT BE BOTHERED TO GET OFF THEIR ARSE AND DEAL WITH A POLICE STATEMENT AND CLAIM OWNERSHIP OF THE VAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I no longer insure with this company...........

Officer was very annoyed and most appologetic...............

Now we have upteen levels of security on the van - some obvious........some not so obvious............and some downright devious.........

It might only be a 'thing' - but to Flo and I it is our escape...........

And no theiving piece of dirt is going to get away with it again..................

Carl & Flo

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 years ago we had our Royale stolen from a CL in Surrey.
We knew it was local gypos - as said before, the police didnt want to know - just gave a crime number....
Insurance paid up (after nearly 4 months) but not as much as what it was worth (nothing new there then!!)

Almost 12 months to the day later, we had a call from a detective in the Irish Police saying that our van had been found - with false Irish plates (Itinerant had tried to make a false insurance claim for a fire in the engine.......got 'im!!).

We helped the Officer with statements etc. so that he could prosecute the scumbag. All was set for a showdown in Court.........

Guess what - the judge threw out the case and gave the van back to the ******* because...........................THE INSURANCE COMPANY COULDNT BE BOTHERED TO GET OFF THEIR ARSE AND DEAL WITH A POLICE STATEMENT AND CLAIM OWNERSHIP OF THE VAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I no longer insure with this company...........

Officer was very annoyed and most appologetic...............

Now we have upteen levels of security on the van - some obvious........some not so obvious............and some downright devious.........

It might only be a 'thing' - but to Flo and I it is our escape...........

And no theiving piece of dirt is going to get away with it again..................

Carl & Flo
Where was the CL and was the owner on site? Did it happen while you were away?
This is so disappointing to hear that it was not taken seriously by any of the parties.
Good to know you still enjoy your escapes.
Lucille

carlandflo

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt(s)
Exp
Since 1973...
Where was the CL and was the owner on site? Did it happen while you were away?
This is so disappointing to hear that it was not taken seriously by any of the parties.
Good to know you still enjoy your escapes.
Lucille

Sorry - I wouldnt like to name the CL (i am still using it for part-timing whilst working during the week - please understand), however, the owner has pretty good security for a CL (2 squeeky gates that have clanging chains wrapped round them at night).
The theft happened during the day - the CL owner was out with his wife, a couple of holiday makers were on site but the scumbags were very quick and gone before they realised what was happening!! Flo and I were actually visiting with my brother a couple of miles away at the time....

Cant fault the Irish Police, but ours and the Insurance Co. were a dead loss...

We think that the Itinerants had been watching for a while to 'read' the movements of visitors to the CL and took the opportunity....

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Horrible experience!
Thanks for the information. I only asked about the CL as we used to live in Surrey. We often visit friends there.
But I firmly believe what goes round come round,-you just have to wait!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back