LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My new, 3 weeks to go :clap:, MH’s gas system seems a bit odd compared to many I have either heard about or seen on this site.
I have a single flexi hose coming into the gas locker from the inside with nothing attached to it. There is a calor gas propane regulator and connector in the kitchen draw ready to be fitted by dealer. – That is what it looks like on the demo model. Until I have used the MH and found out how much gas etc I will use, I will remain with the 6kg propane cylinder I already have and the dealer will fit for me. Rightly or wrongly, there are many folk on this site that travel with gas turned on and some – minority, seem to turn off all the time. Not open for debate, but from this I have a few questions if I may.
1 – Do the "gas on" folk mean bottle only open or appliances running
2 – Assuming it maybe because of the safety futures in new Gaslow / Prakto etc and as I don’t have burst v/v or anything like that in the bottles would those, I drive “open” guys, close their bottles?
3 – What would I need to fit if I too wanted to drive bottle / appliances on?

Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question from Newbie

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
always on with one cylinder so I know when I need to start to look for a top up. but always turn open one off when topping up.

joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Need a bit more infor and the make & model would help.
Gas bottles should always be turned off when traveling unless unless you have cylinders with rupture protection or rupture protection hoses. It is permissible to run fan flued heater that are designed to be used on the move (Truma Combi series) providing you have a regulator with crash protection.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Need a bit more infor and the make & model would help.
Gas bottles should always be turned off when traveling unless unless you have cylinders with rupture protection or rupture protection hoses. It is permissible to run fan flued heater that are designed to be used on the move (Truma Combi series) providing you have a regulator with crash protection.

Hopefully answering the correct question. It is a Sunlight A72 - Dethleff group. There isn't anything in the gas locker bar this hose. So if I connect a calor propane to this hose via on bottle regulator I cannot drive with said bottle open. I know it is no hassle closing before moving, but so many do so was wondering if I could join this gang. May have to wait until I change to refillables if I ever do so that I have burst protection. Did you say burst hoses as well. How do these work and would they fit onto a bottle top regulator?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I run with mine on, but I do have the gas cylinders that have an excess flow valve and also the truma drive safe regulator and hose. I don't run anything on gas when driving but with a PVC that you have to open the full back door to get to the gas it is easier to have it on all the time (especially when raining!). Some people with larger vans have the heating on in the rear while driving

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
The sunlight is fitted with a trauma combi 6 e but I gather I will still need a burst v/v in the bottle or hose in order to run it on the move.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The sunlight is fitted with a trauma combi 6 e but I gather I will still need a burst v/v in the bottle or hose in order to run it on the move.
That is correct, but to run it on the move you also need a regulator with a built in crash sensor, the rupture valves/hoses only protect the high pressure side it a hose splits it won't protect the low pressure side. It would mean changing to a bulkhead regulator like the Broken Link Removed

Since having a van withe the anti rupture hoses and a CS regulator we always run with the gas on, always urn off when boarding ferries.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Without seeming too thick, If I attach a rupture hose to the bottle top regulator, won't that be on the low px side and therefore be sufficient? I am more than happy to turn off, I'm just wanting to be ok if i forget or passengers are really too cold etc. I will probably change bottles eventually to one with burst v/v for safety, but only the bottle if that is all that is required and keep bottle top regulator. If it is not possible with my set up, I will have to change set up to a CS regulator system or similar. I suppose I will also have to wait and see if I use a lot of gas. If I do then its a no brainer to fit re-fillables with bulkhead regulator and 4 hole bottles.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The secumotion as fitted to my MH and many others protects both the high pressure side and the low pressure side and allows to gas to be on when moving. This would not be safe with a regulator on the bottle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The secumotion as fitted to my MH and many others protects both the high pressure side and the low pressure side and allows to gas to be on when moving. This would not be safe with a regulator on the bottle.
It can't protect the high pressure side as it is a bulkhead mounted unit fed directly via high pressure hoses.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Without seeming too thick, If I attach a rupture hose to the bottle top regulator, won't that be on the low px side and therefore be sufficient? I am more than happy to turn off, I'm just wanting to be ok if i forget or passengers are really too cold etc. I will probably change bottles eventually to one with burst v/v for safety, but only the bottle if that is all that is required and keep bottle top regulator. If it is not possible with my set up, I will have to change set up to a CS regulator system or similar. I suppose I will also have to wait and see if I use a lot of gas. If I do then its a no brainer to fit re-fillables with bulkhead regulator and 4 hole bottles.
You don't need the rupture protection with a bottle top regulator, but you can't get bottle top regulators with the crash protection valve (as far as I am aware) which you need for traveling with the heating on. Unless traveling in sub zero temperatures it is normally enough to run the heating for 20 min or so to get the van warm before you start a journey then the cab heater stands a better chance of maintaining the temp.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I love this site. So much to learn and so many knowledgeable people with obvious answers. Thanks. I am sure even if I only use a small amount of gas and keep the caller gas set up, I will get the crash regulator, not specifically for the gas on whilst driving but for overall safety - and I'm bound to forget sometime to turn off and that will be the time we have an accident.
To confirm, High pressure flexi hose from bottle to crash regulator, then low px to the MH somehow. Does it have to be a fixed pipe like my Folding Camper or can I still attach Low px from CS regulator to MH via flexible hose?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
US RV's always have their gas on as their fridges don't run on 12V.

I wouldn't fancy driving with a gas fire going, those that have heating that can run while driving are usually Diesel heaters like the truckers have.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's odd that LPG-powered vehicles manage to run with the LPG turned on and without any crash protection devices fitted. I run with my Gaslow bottles on and use heating on the move. I feel safer than in a car with 10+ gallons of petrol sloshing about in a thin steel or plastic tank.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
n
I love this site. So much to learn and so many knowledgeable people with obvious answers. Thanks. I am sure even if I only use a small amount of gas and keep the caller gas set up, I will get the crash regulator, not specifically for the gas on whilst driving but for overall safety - and I'm bound to forget sometime to turn off and that will be the time we have an accident.
To confirm, High pressure flexi hose from bottle to crash regulator, then low px to the MH somehow. Does it have to be a fixed pipe like my Folding Camper or can I still attach Low px from CS regulator to MH via flexible hose?
Normal practice is to run all pipes from the regulator output in 6 or 8mm dia copper pipe copper.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have had lpg powered RVs and as already said the fridges in them need gas when on the move, no problem.
Also as far as heating is concerned, any burner / flue withstands strong winds when stationary so no difference when driving.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It's odd that LPG-powered vehicles manage to run with the LPG turned on and without any crash protection devices fitted. I run with my Gaslow bottles on and use heating on the move. I feel safer than in a car with 10+ gallons of petrol sloshing about in a thin steel or plastic tank.
Yes they do:-
"LPG systems have protection against both occurrences. The fuel supply is connected to the existing inertia switch AND has shut - off valves provided on the tank outlet to stop any leakage of fuel should any (or all) of the pipes be severed. Indeed, if BOTH the fuel pipe from the filler to the LPG tank and the fuel pipe from the tank to the engine bay are cut, this will still not result in any release of fuel. (It is possible to undo the pipes leading to an LPG tank and remove it from the vehicle with negligable release of gas "

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It can't protect the high pressure side as it is a bulkhead mounted unit fed directly via high pressure hoses.

There is a separate high pressure cut off valve, two if you have two bottles/tanks.

To get the gas to flow you must first press the high pressure button on the bottle connector followed by the one on the regulator which is the low pressure cut off. If you only have secumotion on the regulator you don't have a full system.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There is a separate high pressure cut off valve, two if you have two bottles/tanks.

To get the gas to flow you must first press the high pressure button on the bottle connector followed by the one on the regulator which is the low pressure cut off. If you only have secumotion on the regulator you don't have a full system.
If you look at your original post you said the Secumotion protects both the high & low pressure side, it does not the high pressure side in your case is protected by rupture protection hoses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back