Astronomy, any Funsters Star Gazers (1 Viewer)

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Many moons ago I was into Astronomy....
Lately I've found myself wanting to get back into it probably due to watching too much conspiracy stuff on you tube, nuff said discussion for a later date.

So before I suggest equipment specs I wondered if any other Funsters enjoyed watching the stars/moon etc & if so what equipment do you have ?

I am considering a Celestron Nextsar 8se

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Currently without a telescope, but for serious observing and basic astrophotography, I have had Meade telescopes for the last 20 years or so. I started with an ETX125, then an LX90 8", then an LX200 10".
I have had a few Skywatchers too, a 12" dob and 4" refractor, an 8" Newtonian and a Celestron CPC925. I also had a nexstar 8 for a short time.
None have impressed me more than my Meade LX90.
It's reasonably portable, easy to use and has stunning optics. Great for the moon, planets and deep sky objects with a collection of eyepieces. One of my favourites was a Meade zoom 8-24 eyepiece, very versatile, next favourite was a 40mm Hypericon. Great for wide field views.
Of course it helps to be in a dark site. Luckily, we are now, I've just been outside and the Milky Way looks so bright you could almost touch it.
I might get myself another LX90 soon, but for now, just sitting outside is amazing.
Your choice of a Nexstar 8se looks really nice. My Nexstar 8 was a cracking scope. I don't think you will be disappointed
Allan

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have a Celestron NexStar 8 which I bought a few years back when I was invilved with a astronomy club and soon realised that the underside of most clouds are not very interesting and the most comfortable astronomy was on a nice summer day with a Baader filter watching sun spots and transits (NOT Fords).

When we moved to Norfolk I expected nice dark skies but sadly not to be where we are so now it just sits mouldering in it's case.:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It's really dark where we live. We don't have a telescope but we've got a trampoline that we lie on when drunk and gaze at the Milky way that looks so close you could touch it. :)
That's not the Milky Way that's a Mars bar.... A mars a day helps u work rest and play.....:whistle2:.....:rofl:

PEB

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hello, I was wondering if any funsters know of good Dark Sky campsites particularly any open over the winter? I'm sure I stayed at one that was next to an official Dark Sky site last year but can't remember which it was. We live in the north of England so there or Scotland would be great.

Doesn't have to be an official Dark Sky location but recommendations for good sites for a weekend away staring at the stars would be welcome.

PEB

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Ooh just thought of one that might be good The Lion Pub on top of the North York Moors was, last year,£2.50 to stay in their car park overnight.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hello, I was wondering if any funsters know of good Dark Sky campsites particularly any open over the winter? I'm sure I stayed at one that was next to an official Dark Sky site last year but can't remember which it was. We live in the north of England so there or Scotland would be great.

Doesn't have to be an official Dark Sky location but recommendations for good sites for a weekend away staring at the stars would be welcome.
Somewhere in Galloway should fit. Haven't been to this site but it is in the right place. http://www.gallowayforestpark.com/camping-c32.html
Click on park info for a reference to the dark skies. Sounds like a good place for an astronomy rally!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We saw the best dark sky this year on Arran but there are dark sky sites in the peak district don't know if any campsites nearby must be some c/ls. Just looked search for sites shows a wild camping spot near to the dark sky site at hathersage.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There is an article in the latest CC&C mag about Dark skies and astronomy. Talks about Bellingham Club Site in Northumberland National Park.

Bit far for me though for a weekend.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Unbelievable,,its like a whole new world !! OOo is there a handshake that goes with the meeting on them sites,or do you just lean forward and tickle each others testacles?

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Stopped on a couple of site's near seahouses Northumberland
Watched milky way.didn't need a telescope.The sky was one large Tv screen.Take a warm blanket and a bottle of your favourite tipple.Bliss.

PEB

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
There is an article in the latest CC&C mag about Dark skies and astronomy. Talks about Bellingham Club Site in Northumberland National Park.

Bit far for me though for a weekend.
Brilliant that is perfect for us, just read the article and they are holding a Geminids Star Camp on 11-13 Dec. fingers crossed for clear skies.

Also interested in the Galloway site which is not too much further.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions.

Reactions: DBK

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I used to dabble with night sky photography (camera only), and still do if the sky's clear enough. Best we saw recently was up in the Alps at the Montgenevre aire, where the camera captured the actual structure of the Milky Way as well as the individual stars.

I recently acquired a pair of 20 x 60 Russian made binoculars which do a superb job of viewing the night sky, including picking out some of Jupiter's moons. The main problem is holding them still enough.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
im thinking of starting sky watching as a hobby , id like to try astrophotogaphy and general gazing , ive got the app on my phone

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well a few months ago I did buy my 8se & have spent the time upgrading parts & even bought a new DSLR.
I have not had many nights out due to work & every event ive been to so far has been clouded out but I an still persuing this hobby.
I use the celestron portal app on my mobile device & stellarium on pc

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
You got me back into it! I bought a new Meade Lx90 ACF just before last Christmas, and a Celestron Nextar Evolution 6" as a portable scope. Both brilliant where we live, with very dark skies.
Bl**dy cold outside at the moment though.....

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well ive got to admit im deep into this at the moment however weather does play a huge part in it then factor in that i have to earn my wages & continuously find that when im at work the skies are clear then when im free they are not.
However in the meantim I have gone on & upgraded my scope.......
apart from eyepeices & barlows I have bought a very expensive DSLR with the intent on mounting it on my scope @ some point later on.
My most recent purchase being the Celestron Evolution mount, its much better than the SE mount & has more clearance so with the 2" stuff I can point to Zenith.

Now im looking at another 2 upgrades GPS & Starsense for auto alignment.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I can recommend the Starsense and GPS for your Evolution. Really simple to set up and use, and recently, Skyportal has been upgraded so you can use your Starsense with Skyportal for one tap alignment with your iPad ( or other supported tablet/ phone.
I haven't tried that feature yet, but it sounds brilliant, more time exploring the sky, less time setting up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back