Just bought a CI riviera 141 is a 2.8cc powerfulk enough? (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
van.jpg

Just bought this...it is imaculate a 2004 first motorhome. So the will be loads of questions. But first is this 2.8 engine. I think the full title is 2.8JTD? Is this a good puller? I take it a cruising speed is about 55-60m.p.h?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It depends what you want and which top gear it has. they are changeable.

If it has the lower one then it will be quite noisy at 60mph and getting up hills reasonably well. If speed doesnt matter then this will be fine, although you might get fed up of being in a truck sandwich in the UK.

If it has the higher one then it will cruise better but have a big step between 4th and 5th so that you are flogging it in 4th to get up steeper inclines.

A remap will make a huge difference for a few hundred quid.
but if you ve got the lower top gear you may want to look at getting it changed, theres a company in poole who do them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dafydd_Cymru
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
Many thanks for that. I was just going to ask how I know what is on it already but probablythe best thing is to just try it when I get it and then see how it feels, mpg etc. I did not realise they could be changed.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Many thanks for that. I was just going to ask how I know what is on it already but probablythe best thing is to just try it when I get it and then see how it feels, mpg etc. I did not realise they could be changed.

I find the 2.8 JTD in a 4 ton Hymer is plenty of power, with reasonable economy.
Anyone who says you can have more power AND better economy is dreaming.. .. have it remapped for power and will get lower mpg and risk burning out the clutch...

as Brian said.. 60mph is good.. I get around 27 mpg

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Son and daughter both started with one of them, no problems to speak of, daughters still got hers after 4 years(y):)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dafydd_Cymru
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
Thanks for the replies. I agree that more power must mean less economy. I think I would like to stick with the origional factory config. Problem is how do I now spot if it has been remapped. Would the be visual signs or do I just drive it and see?

@chaser has she got a Riviera 141?

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for the replies. I agree that more power must mean less economy. I think I would like to stick with the origional factory config. Problem is how do I now spot if it has been remapped. Would the be visual signs or do I just drive it and see?

@chaser has she got a Riviera 141?
Not sure if it's the exact model, but it is a ci riviera about the same age and has the same decals, I'm in Portugal at the moment till next week and could tell you then if it's important.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Would the be visual signs or do I just drive it and see?
If its been remapped then no outwardly indication....the parameters within the ECU has been electronically changed.
If it has a tuning box then yes, there will be extra wiring and a box on the injector rail.

If you havent driven a standard 2.8jtd then you wont know if this has been remapped or not..

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It will pull your socks off!
Much more torque than my latest 2.3.
You should get 30 mpg if you use that torque and only cruise at 19/2000rpm (that's where max torque and max MPG is)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a non-turbo 2.8 and whilst it wasnt' the fasted engine it certainly did more than 60 so the turbo version should go past 70 without a problem.

If you find that it won't go above 60 then get the turbo waste gate valve checked as it can sometimes stick due to 'sleepy van syndrome' (ie a MH that hasn't been used much) - it's a cheap thing to get it released and it transforms the experience.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@MinxyGirl

I love reading your replies Minxy (y) You certainly don't fit the 'standard female' profile :rolleyes:

Most females I know would think a waste gate is something found at the bottom of the garden where the rubbish is :LOL:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@MinxyGirl

I love reading your replies Minxy (y) You certainly don't fit the 'standard female' profile :rolleyes:

Most females I know would think a waste gate is something found at the bottom of the garden where the rubbish is :LOL:
Aw shucks ... :X3: I have never ever fitted into the standard female profile ... ever ... I don't wear make up, high heels and rarely dresses/skirts, much prefer to be in comfy clothes and shoes ... although I will admit to liking pink! :p

As for the waste gate, I know about it as our first MH had this very problem and the chap we bought it off told us it would only do 60 despite it being a 1.9 turbo engine - a friend had recently bought a 2.8 turbo one and mentioned to use about the same problem he'd had so we knew exactly what it was when we got ours ... we did tell the seller who hadn't ever bothered to get it checked out in the 3 years he'd had it! :)

I also know that a torque wrench is nothing to do with nattering! :D

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I find the 2.8 JTD in a 4 ton Hymer is plenty of power, with reasonable economy.
Anyone who says you can have more power AND better economy is dreaming.. .. have it remapped for power and will get lower mpg and risk burning out the clutch...

When I had my previous arto (2.8jtd) remapped, it totally transformed it. Didnt really notice the difference in economy and did another 20k before I sold it without any ill effects.

Always said that it would be the first thing I did to the next one but the 3 litre is a different animal

btw, people have a fixation about mpg but the reality with most peoples MH use is that the impact of even another 5 mpg is only £200.

Upvote 0

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997

I disagree, since remapping our 2.3 Fiat, we now get on average 3 mpg more, (31 mpg ave, low profile coachbuilt), with more torque, a much quieter and smoother engine, and because the higher power does not come in until 3rd gear and above, the clutch is as yet unaffected.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our ci mizar was a 2.8 jtd. We never had any problems with it. At all.
If I remember rightly we used to get around 23/25 mpg.
We only sold because we wanted a PVC as the kids no longer wanted to come with us. We wanted something narrower and not as tall. For ease driving about in the places we like to go.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dafydd_Cymru
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
@Ralph-n-Bev Just seen pictures of the Ci Mizar. If it pulls that well it will pull mine. You old MH looks like the Hilton hotel on wheels. Wouldn't supprise me if they have a fold out roof top garden.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
@Ralph-n-Bev Just seen pictures of the Ci Mizar. If it pulls that well it will pull mine. You old MH looks like the Hilton hotel on wheels. Wouldn't supprise me if they have a fold out roof top garden.
Hardly :blush:, when you see some others on rallies @dabhand has got a beauty.
We reupholstered our old ci , once we'd bought it . As it was the only thing that let it down. It was a very solidly built MH. Solid units and hinges. Ours was 3 year old , and for about 6k more we could have bought the new model. But it wasn't as well built and didn't have the right layout anymore. We got it right first time.
A hard thing to do I'm told. Once Ralph had sorted out the solar panel and got a couple of Trojan batteries we could camp all year round , off hook up . The diesel heating was fab. We were never cold in her.
We couldn't find a PVC that ticked all the right boxes, build wise, so Ralph's built ours. Fondly called Pug . Here's a link to his build. There's only a cab carpet to be made and edged and he's finished. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/ We totally love him and are do glad we bit the bullet and home built.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back