Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
At the weekend I travelled round the M25 to Dartford and back from Reigate, I could not believe how sensible everyone was, not one BMW tailgating me and not passed by any Audi's at 100mph, it was such a shock to the system that everyone was sticking to 70mph, it was such a stress free journey without any delays even at the service areas and the traffic was heavy, so why was it like this, is it the threat of speed cameras because I have officially heard nothing or was it because all the reps had their Christmas parties early :confused:

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
I am not 100% sure but I heard that the police have now set the speed cameras to catch anybody doing over 70mph. They are saying it is zero tolerance to speeding but they just need more money to fill their coffers and are not even using the normal safety excuse.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
M25 has more 'safety' cameras on it that any other road in Europe ( actually.. that may well be in the world ! )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I am not 100% sure but I heard that the police have now set the speed cameras to catch anybody doing over 70mph. They are saying it is zero tolerance to speeding but they just need more money to fill their coffers and are not even using the normal safety excuse.
Yes, yes, yes, I know, mamby pamby , rules is rules and all that, BUT! There is a speed limit, why should we expect to go over that speed limit? Just because we don't like it, agree with it? It's lack of respect for that law that's why so many people travel over the speed limit and lack of respect is the biggest problem on the roads today.
Rant over. :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You're incorrect. This was a suggestion only by one chief constable.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Yes, yes, yes, I know, mamby pamby , rules is rules and all that, BUT! There is a speed limit, why should we expect to go over that speed limit? Just because we don't like it, agree with it? It's lack of respect for that law that's why so many people travel over the speed limit and lack of respect is the biggest problem on the roads today.
Rant over. :)

I've never been able to understand why so many people find it so difficult to stick to the limit of the day - it's not difficult really, just read the sign and drive within the limit - you have total control of your right foot.
Whatever the limit there will always be drivers complaining it's too low - cos they know better.
Just do it and stop whinging if you get caught speeding.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As another Tees-side resident you must know that if all they want is money they can just put cameras on the A19. White van men will fill the coffers in no time :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

You're incorrect. This was a suggestion only by one chief constable.

Spot on SCD, and he was more than hauled over the coals and put right !!!!!!

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
As another Tees-side resident you must know that if all they want is money they can just put cameras on the A19. White van men will fill the coffers in no time :D

I believe and have seen as I travel on the A19 very regularly that lately they are now employing a movable camera van to great effect.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Problem with speed cameras is they have no decision making capability. Empty 5 lane motorway on a summers night is no different from snow and ice on a congested motorway. Modern cars are not happy plodding along at 70mph on a clear dry road.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I believe and have seen as I travel on the A19 very regularly that lately they are now employing a movable camera van to great effect.
Great, should keep the council tax down :D I've only ever noticed the DVLA van that they park up between Acklam and the A66 junction :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Problem with speed cameras is they have no decision making capability. Empty 5 lane motorway on a summers night is no different from snow and ice on a congested motorway. Modern cars are not happy plodding along at 70mph on a clear dry road.
Ey up. First sign of madness that, asking your car what speed it is happy going at :LOL:

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
Great, should keep the council tax down :D I've only ever noticed the DVLA van that they park up between Acklam and the A66 junction :)

Don't get me wrong Graham, I'm not advocating speeding at all, but some of the methods being used and the timing of them does leave a sour taste in the mouth. When the "Boro" have an away match the van is invariably being parked on the south side of the A19 and when the supporters are coming home from the match they have it parked on the north side.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ey up. First sign of madness that, asking your car what speed it is happy going at :LOL:
I'll be op your way this week I'll keep that A66 junction in mind....(y)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I think that the cameras "Notice ?" (Get triggered ) by a vehicle going over the limit and counts this,perhaps this is why they Flash, (not allways take a photo). This then gives notice to the operators/police etc. if there is a constant problem of speed through the area. They can monitor the cameras numbers and if the count gets to high..
"Roll camera,Action" LOL.
I may be wrong,but i am sure someone will be along to correct or agree'ish.
Tea Bag

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980

Be very wary from the A1 onwards ( A168, A19 ), I travel all over Europe with my job and see more people stopped for speeding on the A19 than anywhere I travel in Europe.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Then why are the gantries on the M25 lighting up like the Blackpool illuminations all of a sudden?
They are not .. I am doing 76 gps through them almost daily .. no probs.
I think you'll find that the existing variable ones may be on all the time now.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I'm forever flashing cameras, bloody things, hit one in Leeds on the M62 notsosmart motorway and awaiting to see what action will be taken for doing a whole 3 mph over the speed limit.
bloody things, nothing more than a revenue making tax on the car driver. clicked one at 77 mph at 1 in the morning and nothing on the road, nothing but cheap policemen.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
In answer to the op the cameras are live 24/7
All are digital

The front facing truvelo cameras also are 24/7

The older cameras are going to be changed to truvelo

The above are snippets I've read of.

What annoys is only those within the law
Registered to them vehicles are caught

Those outside the law never seem to get caught

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Don't get me wrong Graham, I'm not advocating speeding at all, but some of the methods being used and the timing of them does leave a sour taste in the mouth. When the "Boro" have an away match the van is invariably being parked on the south side of the A19 and when the supporters are coming home from the match they have it parked on the north side.
Can't say I've noticed - probably because I don't use the A19 at those times normally :)
Can we have a more accurate warning please. We've only planned to be away for the day on Friday :whistle:
Be very wary from the A1 onwards ( A168, A19 ), I travel all over Europe with my job and see more people stopped for speeding on the A19 than anywhere I travel in Europe.
Don't tell him that, we need suvvern money investing here :D

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Can we have a more accurate warning please. We've only planned to be away for the day on Friday :whistle:
Leaving on Wednesday, by the time we call in and see shifty on route not sure if we can make it before Friday....:)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I recently travelled all the way up to Stockton-on-Tees to buy a car. Don't remember the road numbers (wasn't the A19) but close-ish to Stockton, there was a big shopping centre. There was a real free-for-all. Drivers zoomed in from lane two (to beat the queue), then stood on the anchors to chop their way in. If anywhere needed a speed cam at 30mph it was there! I had to come off of a roundabout and then get out onto the main drag from a slip road and out through the marauders coming up. I saw two rear-end shunts in the melee. Eventually, I adopted the "I'm bigger than you" rule and just carved my way out; phew! They made M25 drivers look amateur!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I recently travelled all the way up to Stockton-on-Tees to buy a car. Don't remember the road numbers (wasn't the A19) but close-ish to Stockton, there was a big shopping centre. There was a real free-for-all. Drivers zoomed in from lane two (to beat the queue), then stood on the anchors to chop their way in. If anywhere needed a speed cam at 30mph it was there! I had to come off of a roundabout and then get out onto the main drag from a slip road and out through the marauders coming up. I saw two rear-end shunts in the melee. Eventually, I adopted the "I'm bigger than you" rule and just carved my way out; phew! They made M25 drivers look amateur!
Probably Teesside Park, just off the A66. We tend to keep away on Saturdays (except first thing now and again) because of the idiots. Too many have no idea of lane discipline or use of indicators. A good reason to have front and rear dash cameras.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've never been able to understand why so many people find it so difficult to stick to the limit of the day - it's not difficult really, just read the sign and drive within the limit - you have total control of your right foot.
Whatever the limit there will always be drivers complaining it's too low - cos they know better.
Just do it and stop whinging if you get caught speeding.

Best post I've ever seen on this subject. (y)

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back