Swapping 12n and 12s sockets on towbar? (1 Viewer)

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Hi all,
I just bought a Thule Easybase for the towbar on my Murvi and once it is on the towball, it obstructs the 12n socket so I can't plug it in. The 12s socket is just below - - does anyone know if it is it straight forward to swap the two sockets on the towbar without frying myself ? I'm handy with a wrench but know little about electrics....
Photo of identical setup below - ignore the masculine had with the 13pin!

Thanks in advance!
images.jpeg

Jacquie

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Real easy as long as you make notes of the various wires and related pins.
You could simply swap the whole bracket to the other side but the covers would open downward rather the up....not that it really matters as they arent fully waterproof anyway.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The cables to each socket go through the bracket so you need to disconnect the wires from each in order to change them around..

The 12s socket has a live feed on pin 4 , so you need to find the fuse and pull it.. or disconnect the battery before starting .. otherwise you may blow the fuse..

a useful drawing showing the colours and pin numbers, or do as John suggests.. just make a note of them

caravanchronicles-wiring1.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
It may be possible to do it without unwiring. Have a look on the back plate and there might even by cut outs that let you unscrew the front plate and swap the sockets. That's how they were on my landrover.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Thanks very much - I think I can manage any of those solutions, but I vote for the easiest. Love the schematic!!

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow -
Jac

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if theres some slack on the cables its often easier to cut them close to the connectors so you leave a little of the colour on then swap them one at a time once its in the new position

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You could simply swap the whole bracket to the other side but the covers would open downward rather the up....not that it really matters as they arent fully waterproof anyway.

Could Jacquie not do that and then undo the two bolts in each socket, rotate the sockets through 180 degs (assuming the cable is flexible enough) and re-bolt them back onto the backplate? The sockets would then be correctly aligned again on the other side.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
if theres some slack on the cables its often easier to cut them close to the connectors so you leave a little of the colour on then swap them one at a time once its in the new position
The cabling seems pretty tight (which possibly precludes just swapping the whole assembly to the other side), but I haven't had a really good play with it yet - just got the rack tonight frozen fingers and not enough light here at CC Brighton!

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Mission accomplished!! It was a doddle thanks to your encouragement - I swapped them over and rewired them both - all works great now. You saved me a few quid!! Thanks again lads -
Jac:love:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Could Jacquie not do that and then undo the two bolts in each socket, rotate the sockets through 180 degs (assuming the cable is flexible enough) and re-bolt them back onto the backplate? The sockets would then be correctly aligned again on the other side.
Unfortunately not that simple.
The three fixing holes in the backplate are set in a triangle with one hole at the top....or bottom, cant remember.
To turn the socket 180° would result in one fixing hole being at the bottom of the plate but the hole in the socket being at the top.
But.....the plate could be turned 180° in both directions...left to right and top to bottom which would place all holes in the correct location.

IGNORE THIS DRIVEL i see what you mean....simply flip horizontally from left to right.

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Unfortunately not that simple.
The three fixing holes in the backplate are set in a triangle with one hole at the top....or bottom, cant remember.
To turn the socket 180° would result in one fixing hole being at the bottom of the plate but the hole in the socket being at the top.
But.....the plate could be turned 180° in both directions...left to right and top to bottom which would place all holes in the correct location.

IGNORE THIS DRIVEL i see what you mean....simply flip horizontally from left to right.

Well, at least I understood your "drivel" so we must be as daft as each other!;):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back